IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Dog Won't Eat
golwg
post 4th Mar 2012, 10:34 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 9278

we've had our rescue ambull for only 3 days so it;s all very new to her but she hasn't eaten since she got here. i've offered her burns the same as our other dog has and taken it away after half an hour untouched. she won't take treats either but had had some pieces of cooked yam as an enticement. i don't want to start giving her anything other than dog food but i also don't want her getting ill. i've never had this problem with my other dogs who've always been ravenous when they've moved in - is it normal?
tia,
gail smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
riotous_uk
post 4th Mar 2012, 10:48 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 3186

congrats on the new addition smile.gif

what was she fed at her previous home? It often helps to feed them the same food for a shortwhile before changing them over (mine won;t eat Burns at all).

She is likley to be feeling a bit anxious still and as a result, she won't be feeling all that hungry. Try moistening the dry food and feeding it at body temp
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 4th Mar 2012, 10:50 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

What do you do when you feed her? That may be having an effect - when I first got her, my smallest wouldn't eat if I was in the room or even in the next room, if I was watching her. Her last owners had tried just about every food on the market with very little success, because they were always watching her and trying to encourage her but it upset her more. She would also let the others steal her food so I had to feed her separately.

Also - a lot of dogs don't seem to find Burns very enticing, maybe try adding a bit of meat to make it more interesting? Some dogs just don't like some foods - my Linc came here on arden grange, yet his first meal was completely ignored as he was trying to get to the really cheap food the others were on!
+Quote Post
golwg
post 4th Mar 2012, 11:10 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 9278

i'm not sure what she was having before - i think it was just generic dried dog food. my son said there were definitely bowls of dried food in the kennels. i tried some gravy on it last night but that didn't work. i'm putting the bowl in her crate.
maybe she's like my kids when i cook things from scratch with organic food and all they want to eat is mcdonalds!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 10:43 am