IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

> I Need Advice .. Not Ed For A Change!, Confidence needed
janeddie
post 3rd Mar 2012, 9:10 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 37188

Hi all - nothing serious but I am a really worrier and even though I have the most obedient and loyal dog I have ever owned, I still doubt myself. After Alfie, who was always a terrier on a mission and losing him for days on end during one of his missions, I think I am over protective with Ed! Ed has fantastic recall and is only ever a few steps away from me but I really struggle with letting him off. I know that if he spies another dog, all I have to do is change direction and he choses me instead of the other dog so why do I panic sad.gif OH lets Ed off all the time, even on the smallest amount of grass or down the canal etc., but I have been on a wonderful walk this morning, loads of fields and no other dogs but I still did not let him off lead sad.gif I am always thinking of what might happen instead of enjoying the moment ). I did let him off the other morning on our walk and he was perfect but I still could not relax. Once I get into a routine of letting him off it becomes easier but I seem to have gone back to step one for no apparent reason and I really worry. When I come back from a walk and have let him off, I feel great and really proud to have a dog with good recall. What is the matter with me?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
janeddie
post 6th Mar 2012, 7:11 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 37188

OK, I give in lol.gif Couldn't let him off tonight because it was pitch black but promise I will again and SOON -I wouldn't mind but he doesn't even do a lot and barely breaks into a trot, just spends ages sniffing in bushes and then trots a little to catch me up - the only time he actually runs is if a cat dares come into our garden and then he is like a bullet lol.gif Wished he did balls but not a flicker of interest, he believes in leaving the ball games to the labs and collies .. obviously too much like hard work for Ed lol.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 5:07 am