IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Agility & A Staffy ..... Good Idea Or Totally Mad?
JRNasty
post 2nd Mar 2012, 11:22 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 25678

Well with the discovery late last year after being adopted by mads for just over a year that she is in fact very good off lead and is miles better with other dogs off lead coupled with the fact she can jump, I mean really jump. Like 1m 30cm from standing....I thought fun agility. lol.gif. We start in July, a beginners class.

Am I mad? Do staffies 'do' agility? Are their joints ok for that kinda thing as I know some have hip issues.

If anyone takes their staffy (or staffy x's) to agility Id love to hear about it?

Or any tips ?

Thanks smile.gif

Nik x
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KB Merlin's Mum
post 2nd Mar 2012, 11:43 pm
Post #2

Member No.: 27973

You might want to watch this:
Jo Tristram - Ellie Champ Jumping 2010

+Quote Post
JRNasty
post 2nd Mar 2012, 11:46 pm
Post #3

Wow wub.gif that's amazing smile.gif
+Quote Post
Tigger27
post 3rd Mar 2012, 12:07 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 22456

We had quite a few staffies at our agility class, they were blimmin marvellous!
+Quote Post
lizzyMc
post 3rd Mar 2012, 12:08 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 13344

we have been doing agility for about 5 years now. Dee loves it and would be really good at it if her owner could remember the courses smile.gif With another handler I think she could have won loads.

I fell over once in a competition and when I got up there was Dee carrying on round the course and we got a clear round.

The best midi sized team in England was a Staffie team. They were fantastic and so lovely to watch a team of Staffs doing their bit.

Go for it - its great fun.
+Quote Post
JRNasty
post 3rd Mar 2012, 12:13 am
Post #6

QUOTE(lizzyMc @ 3rd Mar 2012, 12:08 am) *

we have been doing agility for about 5 years now. Dee loves it and would be really good at it if her owner could remember the courses smile.gif With another handler I think she could have won loads.

I fell over once in a competition and when I got up there was Dee carrying on round the course and we got a clear round.

The best midi sized team in England was a Staffie team. They were fantastic and so lovely to watch a team of Staffs doing their bit.

Go for it - its great fun.

Yes, I fear it maybe the owner who does badly and not the staffy in my case. she tried the tunnel and the weave poles in her training class a while back and she loved wibbling her staffy but through them. lol.gif
My one concern is she likes to talk. When i took her to her training class the trainer had to yell bcos mads was talkin so much, it happens when she's excited, she gets excited a lot ! Lol I'm really lookin forward to it but am a bit nervous too.
+Quote Post
lizzyMc
post 3rd Mar 2012, 12:14 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 13344

QUOTE(JRNasty @ 2nd Mar 2012, 11:22 pm) *

Well with the discovery late last year after being adopted by mads for just over a year that she is in fact very good off lead and is miles better with other dogs off lead coupled with the fact she can jump, I mean really jump. Like 1m 30cm from standing....I thought fun agility. lol.gif. We start in July, a beginners class.

Am I mad? Do staffies 'do' agility? Are their joints ok for that kinda thing as I know some have hip issues.
If anyone takes their staffy (or staffy x's) to agility Id love to hear about it?

Or any tips ?

Thanks smile.gif

Nik x

Tips are - plenty of treats or a toy. They would jump the equipment backwards for a treat or toy. Oh and praise that is all Dee needs now lots of praise and she does any thing on an agilty course.

This post has been edited by lizzyMc: 3rd Mar 2012, 12:14 am
+Quote Post
I Love MY Cookie
post 3rd Mar 2012, 3:02 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 29433

To be honest I am not too sure about Staffies and agility unsure.gif ..Staffies are just so bright, clever, eager to please, quick to learn, lively, agile and ....well I would be concerned that a Staffie may lie down in the middle of a round and demand a tummy rub before carrying on rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

Cookie was a stray from MDH with no background....when I first took him to training classes in 2006 they did a little agility at the end (just 10 minutes)..and he was fab... smile.gif

My friend started agility classes a couple of years ago and he was just sooooooo good at it after just 2 lessons ( mainly for me rolleyes.gif )..sadly my mum took ill a few days later and I haven't been able to carry on..

Staffies and agility... a definate Yesssssss smile.gif
Katherine

XXX

PS.. re the talking... Cookie talks a lot when he doesn't really understand what I would like him to do...
He is able to do Maths..sums..addition, subtraction, multiplication and division..but if he isn't sure ..he natters on

He can do twirls and spins etc..but again ..if not sure he chatters...

So i think it is up so us to ensure that our dogs know what is expected and then they will spend less time nattering and more time concentrating... smile.gif

This post has been edited by I Love MY Cookie: 3rd Mar 2012, 3:10 am

--------------------
Friends of the Animals RCT
Adoption & Homevisit Co-ordinator
07800 573126
katherine@friendsoftheanimalsrct.org.uk
+Quote Post
staffymad
post 3rd Mar 2012, 8:20 am
Post #9

Member No.: 11452

Fab idea smile.gif If you have a look at Clever Staffords - they have links and pictures to a lot of agility staffies and the EASBT Club and their staffy team are most years found at Crufts smile.gif

I did some fun agility with my bridge boy Snatch - he hated the tunnel, wee'd on it and walked off in disgust rolleyes.gif We then did a fun run at Teckles fun dog show years ago, against the clock and he decided mid run he needed to have a wee - for 2 minutes ohmy.gif rolleyes.gif Needless to say we lost lol.gif

Once Lilly Loon has passed her next training award, I want to try it with her for fun but it seems there are no groups/classes close to me anymore err.gif
+Quote Post
T-DOG
post 3rd Mar 2012, 8:40 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 14414

I've seen some fantastic staffies competing in agility so its a definate yes from me smile.gif
I've also seen some cracking staffies competing in flyball, they are very intelligent and have great stamina and drive, perfect for an agility dog, as long as she enjoys it, thats the main thing.
Good luck and keep us posted on how she's getting on wub.gif
+Quote Post
T-DOG
post 3rd Mar 2012, 8:43 am
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 14414

QUOTE(KB Merlin's Mum @ 2nd Mar 2012, 11:43 pm) *

You might want to watch this:
Jo Tristram - Ellie Champ Jumping 2010

Lovely to watch, don't forget to qualify for this run at Crufts this dog will have to have WON a championship class to qualify, not an easy task and something most of us can only dream of
+Quote Post
agilitylace
post 3rd Mar 2012, 8:51 am
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 37737

My very good friend has competed with Staffies for years and to a high level , she currently has 2 , both brilliant with huge potential (she got me into agility so i have always assumed its normal for staffs to do it smile.gif )

Staff's are generally ball mad, keen to learn and fast . . . . . imo a perfect agility dog and very much becoming more and more frequent sight on the agility show circuit, you can normally hear them before you see them lol.gif

My next dog will be a staff and will absolutly do agility with us smile.gif
+Quote Post
JRNasty
post 3rd Mar 2012, 9:17 am
Post #13

QUOTE(agilitylace @ 3rd Mar 2012, 8:51 am) *

My very good friend has competed with Staffies for years and to a high level , she currently has 2 , both brilliant with huge potential (she got me into agility so i have always assumed its normal for staffs to do it smile.gif )

Staff's are generally ball mad, keen to learn and fast . . . . . imo a perfect agility dog and very much becoming more and more frequent sight on the agility show circuit, you can normally hear them before you see them lol.gif

My next dog will be a staff and will absolutly do agility with us smile.gif

lol.gif yes I think people will know mads and i have joined by the noise smile.gif

Mads isn't ball mad, well she will nicely destroy a ball, she will run after a ball probably once and then look at me as if to say "if you want the ball, u go fetch it" lol.gif so Def clever alright!

She can b alittle unsure of New things, she was a tad wary of the tunnel but she did it. I do feel a huge trust between us so she usually does things I ask of her. Think she will b fine once she's cracked it a few times.

It's lovely to hear of other piglets doing agility tho. All I want really is for mads to enjoy herself, meet some more doggy friends (as most people I meet round here drag their dog away from her) and for us to keep building our bond.
+Quote Post
K9LOVE
post 3rd Mar 2012, 9:31 am
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 34714

The more staffies doing agility the better as far as I am concerned wink.gif wub.gif
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 3rd Mar 2012, 11:16 am
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

QUOTE(T-DOG @ 3rd Mar 2012, 8:43 am) *

Lovely to watch, don't forget to qualify for this run at Crufts this dog will have to have WON a championship class to qualify, not an easy task and something most of us can only dream of

Lovely!
I also want to know what bra she is wearing...did anyone else notice? Nary a wobble or a shift lol.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 6:40 am