IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Muzzle To Control Barking?
seadancer33
post 2nd Mar 2012, 3:03 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 34973

possibly a silly question, lbut someone told me that she had seen a lady with muzzle on small talk, a softie, and she said it stoped barking. any ideas.
reason being since the bad dog attack on me and dog in december, my little one is traumatised any sign of large dogs, and barks and barks, he is ok with smaller ones, and larger ones he knows. this is possibly a silly question, but just wondering, had him to be so upset and barking could make the problem worse.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 2nd Mar 2012, 3:14 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 4804

There is something called a husher muzzle.
Even if it does stop your dog barking it wont help ease her fears.
ali
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
suzeanna
post 2nd Mar 2012, 3:22 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 11033

Being afraid and unable to vocalise could make her even more scared..and possibly even likely to snap when you take the thing off, or the next time you try to put it on. I'd be more inclined to try distraction, offer her a treat when you see bigger dogs coming. I have the reverse problem with my cav, she likes big dogs and hates the ones her size or smaller ever since a yorkie bit her on the nose when she was a pup, but I must admit she's more "let me at em, I want to kill em" than afraid of them.
+Quote Post
Deerhounder
post 2nd Mar 2012, 3:50 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 35452

The barking tells you shes not comfortable, shes above threshold - you need to stay sufficiently far away from her triggers that she doesnt bark, then you can work on counter conditioning.

The only time I'd use a husher type device is for the situations with a hysterical barker who ISNT fully aware he/she is actually barking - and even then I would go for the Mekuti style bands rather than an actual Husher.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 11:52 pm