IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Do You Keep On Track?
staffymad
post 2nd Mar 2012, 1:51 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 11452

Well Lilly Loon is doing well training wise and we are now working towards the APDT Good Companion Foundation award tongue.gif

I have the list of tasks she needs to do and I was wondering how you guys keep on track with training? Although I try to do short sessions and concentrate on getting solid commands and work on those that she has lacked in a tad (the stand for example) but I was wondering if it would be good to draw up a training plan? I.e. today first session we work on stand/down and up, next session on leave, sit and stay etc?

Just wondering what all you more experienced peeps do flowers.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Akitas
post 2nd Mar 2012, 2:45 pm
Post #2

Member No.: 19851

I keep drawing up a plan, following it for a while, then it lapses again ... I need to be more focussed on training but lack the discipline I guess. And then sometimes I just spend an evening lounging around with the dogs.

In an ideal world lol.gif I would draw up a plan, with each task split into: teaching, proofing, polishing and maintaining. And make sure that at any one time no more than 1 task is in the teaching or proofing phase. Also break down the exercise into it's components and teach them all separately before linking them together. E.g. a retrieve is actually:

- sit at heel
- remain at sit at heel while article is thrown
- leave handler (on command)
- run to article
- pick up article
- turn and return with article
- present article
- release article
- return to heel position
- release/end

Breaking an exercise down and writing down the components I generally do manage to do.

This post has been edited by Akitas: 2nd Mar 2012, 2:46 pm
+Quote Post
staffymad
post 2nd Mar 2012, 3:46 pm
Post #3

Thank you flowers.gif You would think someone with OCD would be more obsessed rolleyes.gif lol.gif As for the retrieve - way off that one, first we need to teach her not to eat the ball lol.gif
+Quote Post
Akitas
post 2nd Mar 2012, 5:15 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 19851

QUOTE(staffymad @ 2nd Mar 2012, 3:46 pm) *

Thank you flowers.gif You would think someone with OCD would be more obsessed rolleyes.gif lol.gif As for the retrieve - way off that one, first we need to teach her not to eat the ball lol.gif

Maybe you will be better than me then :-) A touch of OCD would be useful lol.gif For the retrieve, you need to devalue the article (or ball). So, to change her motivation from 'must get the ball' to 'picking up the ball gets me a reward'. So if she's very ball driven, then use something else first and the ball or a treat as the reward.
+Quote Post
riotous_uk
post 2nd Mar 2012, 5:51 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 3186

I do tend to draw up a training plan and keep records, sometimes not as formally as I should do, but it does help me to make life easy for the dog
+Quote Post
jackied
post 2nd Mar 2012, 6:26 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 40705

I keep drawing up a plan, following it for a while, then it lapses again

Me too! lol.gif At regular intervals! lol.gif

--------------------
www.www.jackieduckworthart.co.uk

Pet portraits and original artwork.
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post 4th Mar 2012, 12:46 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 2829

QUOTE(riotous_uk @ 2nd Mar 2012, 5:51 pm) *

I do tend to draw up a training plan and keep records, sometimes not as formally as I should do, but it does help me to make life easy for the dog

Yes, I try to follow a plan, although don't always stick to it rigidly. It does help though smile.gif
+Quote Post
misty11
post 4th Mar 2012, 4:58 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 4551

I never have a plan lol.gif
+Quote Post
staffymad
post 5th Mar 2012, 2:10 pm
Post #9

QUOTE(misty11 @ 4th Mar 2012, 4:58 pm) *

lol.gif lol.gif

Thanks everyone flowers.gif I do have a sort of plan but most of the time, it seems that Lilly has other ideas and as she enjoys what she is doing at that moment in time, I tend to skip forwards and back lol.gif
+Quote Post
HoopZ
post 5th Mar 2012, 2:54 pm
Post #10

Member No.: 51012

Nor me. We do most of our training on our walks as and when.
+Quote Post
Bunter1
post 5th Mar 2012, 3:00 pm
Post #11

Member No.: 34100

QUOTE(staffymad @ 5th Mar 2012, 2:10 pm) *

Thanks everyone flowers.gif I do have a sort of plan but most of the time, it seems that Lilly has other ideas and as she enjoys what she is doing at that moment in time, I tend to skip forwards and back lol.gif

I am about to write a plan for Bella. Can't say I've ever been keen to write one, but it actually makes a lot of sense smile.gif

Where I am now ----------------------------> How I get there ---------------------------------- Goal

It helps I think so you can keep track, not make assumptions about where you are now, set goals and break things down into manageable chunks. That's not to say you can't re-evaluate and make changes, nor that you have to rigidly do it in the order written!
+Quote Post
riotous_uk
post 5th Mar 2012, 3:41 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 3186

QUOTE(HoopZ @ 5th Mar 2012, 2:54 pm) *

Nor me. We do most of our training on our walks as and when.

most of my training is on walks but I still have a plan of where of the end point and the stgeps needed to get there and how far along we have progressed.
+Quote Post
mum24dog
post 5th Mar 2012, 4:46 pm
Post #13

Group: Member.
Member No.: 9849

I once wrote out a plan then didn't look at it for years.

It was interesting how much I could tick off just training as the opportunity and interest arose and the dog was in the mood.

I'd rather go with the flow with training than impose artificial pressure on myself as to how to get where I'd ideally like to find us eventually. Winging it works pretty well.
+Quote Post
Bunter1
post 5th Mar 2012, 5:09 pm
Post #14

Member No.: 34100

I have never previously used a training plan. For the most, it probably is of little consequence. However, I need to be at a particular place in agility training by a particular date, so I need one!

I also think they can be useful if you have a dog with issues, in order to see how far you've come and break things down into manageable and realistic chunks smile.gif I wish I'd done that with Taff so I could see our journey together err.gif
+Quote Post
mum24dog
post 6th Mar 2012, 12:18 pm
Post #15

Group: Member.
Member No.: 9849

QUOTE(Bunter1 @ 5th Mar 2012, 5:09 pm) *

I have never previously used a training plan. For the most, it probably is of little consequence. However, I need to be at a particular place in agility training by a particular date, so I need one!

That's a shame. We always tell people it takes as long as it takes so they don't feel that they have to be ready for a specified date (usually when the dog is 18 months old).

Targets are a good idea if you find it hard to motivate yourself though, but they shouldn't be the be all and end all.

I also think they can be useful if you have a dog with issues, in order to see how far you've come and break things down into manageable and realistic chunks smile.gif I wish I'd done that with Taff so I could see our journey together err.gif

But don't you find the realisation that you have made great progress dawns on you at some point whether you have a plan or not?

I don't see breaking things down as a plan - just part and parcel of all training.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 4:16 pm