Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spaying A Nervous Youngster
Bunter1
post 2nd Mar 2012, 4:37 pm
Post #16

Group: Member
Member No.: 34100

QUOTE(Dalsmum @ 2nd Mar 2012, 4:30 pm) *

My vet told the operation is much easier on a younger bitch.

Yes I understand that being spayed prior to having a season makes the op much easier and the recovery time quicker smile.gif

It's a minefield isn't it err.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fergie
post 2nd Mar 2012, 5:04 pm
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 35535

Pen was quite a nervy little thing and could sometimes be a bit worried around strange dogs when I got her at 6months. I found that having a season has changed her quite a bit. She was a bit of a tart and very playful immediately before, after and during her season and as a consequence of this she made a lot of friends that she otherwise wouldn't of made smile.gif Obviously I didn't let her mix with strange dogs whilst in season but she seemed just as fruity before it even started rolleyes.gif
She really learnt to play confidently which she didn't do before smile.gif She also got confident enough to tell other dogs off rather than run away. I had her spayed 4 months after her season. I feel a season benefited her quite a bit smile.gif My other bitch is a pretty laid back lurcher and spaying didn't seem to affect her at all unsure.gif
+Quote Post
simbasmum
post 2nd Mar 2012, 5:11 pm
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 47168

It's a bit of a weird situation for us but Simba is currently unspayed (she will be 6 at the end of the month). Simba is very nervous and high strung, but there has always been a huge shift in her behaviour that is correlative with her hormonal cycle.

In short, she loses a lot of her nervous issues and fears when she is in season. Which is pretty useless training wise as obviously I cannot take her out anywhere to utilise this rolleyes.gif We sought help from a behaviourist with her a few years ago who advised us against spaying her, as she believed that Simba's oestrogen levels were important - because of the aforementioned testosteron issue. She warned us that it might make Simba worse behaviour-wise if we spayed her.

I've tried to look into this more and have found very little evidence beyond anecdotal to support this but the anecdotal evidence was, for me, strong enough to mean I haven't taken the 'risk' of spaying her (yet). I was going to do it last year but circumstances conspired so that I didn't do it and i'm going to discuss it with the vet for this year.

We've worked on her behaviour for a few years and I am hoping that we've done all we can to ingrain the 'good' behaviour and the health worries are now taking over from behavioural ones in my head - but the fear is still there for me that i'll spay her and she'll be even worse. err.gif

+Quote Post
coppernut
post 2nd Mar 2012, 7:18 pm
Post #19

Member No.: 25202

hi kirstie when i had my toffee castrated he was very nervous of strangers and the vets allowed me to stay with him till he settled and they gave him his pre meds. they were great and did every thing in a slow pace so he knew what was going on, they even went down to his level when handling him and after the opp they kept him in the recovery area so he could watch them. on return for his checkup he was alot more at ease and on the 10th day he just lay on their sofa and let them remove his stitchies (he was stitched incase as he was nervous). i know its different opp with a bitch but if your vets are good they will do everything to keep your girl relaxed.
i know it sounds silly but toffee is so much better since his opp (not because the opp) because they relaxed him so much he now allows people to stroke him and will go up to some people for fuss, before he would hide between my legs lol.gif hes great with dogs its just us humans rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
skysky69
post 2nd Mar 2012, 10:23 pm
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 17207

Thanks for your responses.

Yvonne, can I bring her over to go for a walk with your clan at some point? I am trying to get her mixing as much as possible and she is happy off lead if they leave her be to come on her own time, on lead towards home, grumbling at the same dog she has been running around with for the past 45 minutes. I am wondering whether it is a territorial thing over me unsure.gif

+Quote Post
coppernut
post 3rd Mar 2012, 9:47 am
Post #21

Member No.: 25202

QUOTE(skysky69 @ 2nd Mar 2012, 10:23 pm) *

Thanks for your responses.

Yvonne, can I bring her over to go for a walk with your clan at some point? I am trying to get her mixing as much as possible and she is happy off lead if they leave her be to come on her own time, on lead towards home, grumbling at the same dog she has been running around with for the past 45 minutes. I am wondering whether it is a territorial thing over me unsure.gif

your welcome to walk with us anytime kirstie and i can walk the easier dogs with her till shes happy but my lot just run and chase a ball/toy. my be start with sprocket as hes smallest lol.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th November 2014 - 2:57 pm