IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking For Lhaso Apso In Scotland, Home for a furry friend north of the border
johnmcaulay
post 1st Mar 2012, 2:19 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 54789

Hi there,

I have decided since moving to a larger home that I could offer a home to another little dog.

I currently have two dogs, Marley (Spaniel Cross, 2 y/o) and Lucy (Whippet Cross 3 y/o) so any dog would need to get along with them. Both M and L are great with other dogs, very respectful and absolutley no aggression.

I stay just outside Glasgow, with a large wooded area and park only a few minutes away so a long daily walk and/or play with the balls in the park are a daily occurence. We also have a large back garden that was "Marley proofed" recently to prevent any escape-artist behaviour.

I work full time hours 4 days a week, with the occasional early finishes on school days, but my partner is a researcher and often works from home or calls in during the day between appointments so they are rarely left alone for any prolonged length of time.

Idealy I'd like a Lhaso Apso, or similiar smaller sized breed, although I never see any of that type for adoption north of the border. Milo @ Dogs Trust West Calder would have been ideal but I feared a problem with him and Marley over the toy situation, Marley does like to hoard everything under the bed late at night.

A visit down to Wales may be on the cards if all else fails but thought I'd try this to see if there is anything I'm missing or someone is looking to rehome up this way.

I could travel maybe as far as Carlisle up to the Dundee area fairly easily.

Thanks in anticipation of all help.

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
K9LOVE
post 1st Mar 2012, 7:28 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 34714

Pele:
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/pele1081061.aspx

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/rory1067376.aspx

This post has been edited by K9LOVE: 1st Mar 2012, 7:29 pm
+Quote Post
K9LOVE
post 1st Mar 2012, 7:48 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Check on Many Tears they have fosterers in Scotland and N England:
They have India who is a schnauzer x poodle, very bottom of the page:
http://www.manytears.co.uk/
+Quote Post
johnmcaulay
post 5th Mar 2012, 2:23 pm
Post #4

@K9LOVE thanks for the information.

We went to see the two boys @ Dogs Trust but Pele had already been snapped up and Rory and Lucy didn't seem to see eye to eye for some reason. Lucy kept barking at him which is extremely unlike her.

The search continues I guess sad.gif

Does anyone know if there are many adopters coming down from Scotland?
+Quote Post
K9LOVE
post 5th Mar 2012, 7:12 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(johnmcaulay @ 5th Mar 2012, 2:23 pm) *

Does anyone know if there are many adopters coming down from Scotland?

Yes it happens quite a bit. Ive adopted from York.
Others from Wales/England and have done homechecks for Welsh rescues in Perthshire. smile.gif
+Quote Post
K9LOVE
post 6th Mar 2012, 9:10 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Could try breed rescue:
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services...094&id=1703

rest of UK:
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services...aspx?breed=4094
+Quote Post
johnmcaulay
post 8th Mar 2012, 10:08 am
Post #7

@K9LOVE again thanks for the information, I'm going to give that lady a call in the next few days.

I noticed the Tibetan Spaniel Hurley has come back onto the website. I've been doing a bit of research and Lhasos and Tibbies (as appears to be their "nickname") seem to be very simliar in nature, size, grooming requirements etc

Also to draw on your experience K9LOVE, was your adoption from York a fairly straight forward process? Did you travel up and down in 1 day?
+Quote Post
K9LOVE
post 8th Mar 2012, 6:26 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(johnmcaulay @ 8th Mar 2012, 10:08 am) *

Also to draw on your experience K9LOVE, was your adoption from York a fairly straight forward process? Did you travel up and down in 1 day?

Yes I did but mine was a private rehoming but if you wanted to adopt from a rescue they normally get someone local to homecheck then you go and pick up the dog smile.gif
Also if it was for someone like Many Tears they do have fosters in Scotland and may pop the dog in one of their transport runs but think they prefer if people meet the dog first. But think thye have rehomed some of their scottish dogs so may be new ones coming soon. wink.gif
I found driving down to York and back quite tiring, but if you hd someom to share driving I dont think it would be that difficult.

This post has been edited by K9LOVE: 8th Mar 2012, 6:26 pm
+Quote Post
johnmcaulay
post 9th Mar 2012, 9:16 am
Post #9

@K9LOVE thanks again for the information. I think I may as well get the wheels in motion and submit an application and get the home visit arrange so at least that part of the process is completed smile.gif
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 9th Mar 2012, 11:16 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

Hi John

I too stay just outside Glasgow and volunteer with Hope Rescue which is based in Wales. The work I do with them is computer based so location is not a problem. I do homecheck though for various rescues most of which are in Wales or right down in England.

I can speak more clearly for Hope Policy but I have see very little variation from this for other rescues.

Hope ask all adopters to meet the dog in person with the whole family. This is most important when you have other dogs as you have seen with yours meeting Pele - sometimes like people some dogs just don't a specific dog! With the distance involved Hope wouldnt ask you to make numerous visits. Personally I suggest that people travel down and meet the dog and then stay overnight and meet again the following day before finalising and driving back. The overnight suggestion is to give you time to think if its really the match you expected. Rescues would prefer people to say no than take and the dog bounce back if its not the right choice. Alternatively I would try and get there as early as possible, meet and then go away for lunch or coffee and return after a think. Its hard to think or speak clearly if there are doubts when you have the fosterer there.

The only reservation that comes into play with adopting so far away is there isnt the hands on support that a good rescue can offer actually on your doorstep. Good rescues will have a good knowledge of training classes, behaviourists, vets, boarding kennels, volunteers etc in their local area but less experience of the the same the further away you are so sometimes the hands on help if needed isn't there. Obviously email and phone back up is. Personally if I have homechecked for a rescue I would offer hands on help for the new adopters or would help get local help but my knowledge base isnt as thorough. Obviously if the rehoming doesn't work out as planned there is a significant distance for the dog to have to travel back to rescue and when it has broken down (which is rare but it does happen) its amazing how many adopters cannot then travel the same distance they said was no problem to collect in the other direction. This means rescues can be reticent to rehome a long distance again.

I've made long distance adoption sound a bad choice now haven't I? In reality I have found it to be the total opposite as the thought process has been thought about in much more depth and the adopters are serious about making things work out as the effort has been that much greater. So personally for me I would travel as far south as needed to rehome the dog - its a once off journey to collect a companion for life wub.gif

Anmy questions or help needed feel free to gove me a bell.

--------------------
Kat
Rehoming Co-ordinator - Hope Rescue
Email - dogs@hoperescue.org.uk
www.hoperescue.org.uk
+Quote Post
johnmcaulay
post 9th Mar 2012, 4:57 pm
Post #11

@kilmousk thanks for the information.

You've actually inspired me to start looking into a combination trip down for a wee holiday and visit to the kennels. I've been checking out digs in the area and found a cracker about 30 minutes away. Just need to chase up my already late rent from tennents and book a date.

Thanks again.

John
+Quote Post
K9LOVE
post 17th Mar 2012, 10:18 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...p;#entry3827104
+Quote Post
johnmcaulay
post 19th Mar 2012, 12:15 pm
Post #13

Thanks for the heads up on this little guys smile.gif
+Quote Post
rescuewoman
post 19th Mar 2012, 12:35 pm
Post #14

Member No.: 2319

Sorry I should have come here and posted that Fergus is now homed.

--------------------
When you rescue a dog, you gain a heart for life
+Quote Post
skyeandollie
post 19th Mar 2012, 4:51 pm
Post #15

Member No.: 52314

Hi John, Just wanted to add Lhasas and Tibetan Terriers (TT's as they are known) are similar (my mum has one of each!) the tibetan Spaniel is different again, different coat type etc
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 11:44 pm