IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Time Does Your Dog Wake Up
Dalsmum
post 2nd Mar 2012, 4:09 pm
Post #16

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

My two put themselves to bed at 8 pm and don't move until we get up , whether that be 7am, 9 am, 10am.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Purdy Bear
post 2nd Mar 2012, 7:02 pm
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 23167

Connor usually has an active night moving between three areas to sleep. People in the house get up at 4.30, 5.30 and me about 7 (although I listen to the radio and dont leave the bedroom until 8).

I would say reduce the water in the evening, you could try putting in ice cubes into the water bowl. Let her out last thing at night for her toileting and see if that makes a difference.

If shes a rescue, it maybe that her last owner got up at that time, and shes worried that your going to be late for something, so she barks like an alarm clock until you physically move.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 2nd Mar 2012, 7:18 pm
Post #18

QUOTE(jaz050465 @ 2nd Mar 2012, 8:59 am) *
5.22 today. Had window open and couldn't hear anything. Can't understand why she barks for over an hour and a half until I get up. I fed her and she was then quiet which often happens. However feeding her more during the day and at bed time doesn't seem to help.

Is she quiet because she has been fed- as in is she hungry- or is she quiet because she is reassured that you are around- as in she was lonely or worried where you are.

Have you tried letting her sleep in your bedroom so she knows where you are when she wakens up?

+Quote Post
jaz050465
post 2nd Mar 2012, 7:28 pm
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 46245

Didn't think if the reassurance thing. Maybe I'll get up if she barks to say hello and then go back to bed without feeding her and see what happens. I've had her for six years and it's only been happening for a few months.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 2nd Mar 2012, 9:40 pm
Post #20

QUOTE(jaz050465 @ 2nd Mar 2012, 7:28 pm) *
Didn't think if the reassurance thing. Maybe I'll get up if she barks to say hello and then go back to bed without feeding her and see what happens. I've had her for six years and it's only been happening for a few months.

When one of my pups decided that daylight at 5am meant 'morning' I went down immediately I heard her barking- so she didn't get wound up.

I didn't speak to her. I let her out. Whether she wanted or not I put her out. When she came back in I put her back in her bed and went back to mine- all without speaking or making a fuss of her.

If she was very playful I would go and sit in the lounge and ignore her - read a magazine etc and let her amuse herself. i found that withing half an hour she had lain down and gone to sleep. I lifted her up and took her to her bed in the kitchen and went to bet.

After a few nights she stopped getting us up.

I realise your dog is not a pup but you may be able to use some of that.

If it is a new behaviour it may be worth getting a vet check to rule out any medical reason.
+Quote Post
jaz050465
post 2nd Mar 2012, 9:51 pm
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 46245

Thanks. I've been to the vet - twice and they can't find anything wrong.
+Quote Post
ann2k
post 6th Mar 2012, 5:57 pm
Post #22

Member No.: 636

Rather than you getting up, could you not talk to her to calm her, maybe the sound of your voice will help, if she is down stairs would she be able to hear you without raising your voice, i done this with Lola & it helped.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 7:53 am