IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Urgent Help Needed
Caoimhe-Blyss
post 29th Feb 2012, 9:33 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 42576

Due to personal circumstances I have had to move in with my partner. He has 3 dogs and whilst Nero is settling in well evee is not coping. Yesterday she had a couple of snaps at the others but today has been a nightmare. She had flown off the settee at one point to attack one of them. I know it will take longer that 24 hours to settle in but how can I help. Not only is it stressful to the other digs but evee must be under pressure aswell. I don't want to rehome her but if it comes to that then I will find the best home I can
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KimH
post 29th Feb 2012, 10:19 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 40984

Poor Evie has been thrown in at the deep end, and being a bitch is making sure she's top dog, but not going about it the right way. Us women like to have our own way!

Can you seperate her? either in a crate if she's crate trained or with a baby gate? Also put a house line on her so you can easily grab the line if she goes off or if you need to seperate them.

I'd go back to basics, remove all toys and no treats to be given together for all dogs, feed seperately so remove everything to squabble over. As she's the instigator keep her with you on a long house line (just a bit of rope will do just nothing that will catch on items of furniture so no loops).

I personally wouldn't allow any on the furniture unless invited so that they can't squabble about spaces and so you can control her environment, it should all die down within a couple of weeks so its not for ever, just until she realises that mum is looking after her so she doesn't have to take control.
+Quote Post
Fever
post 29th Feb 2012, 10:24 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 37085

QUOTE(Caoimhe-Blyss @ 29th Feb 2012, 9:33 pm) *

Due to personal circumstances I have had to move in with my partner. He has 3 dogs and whilst Nero is settling in well evee is not coping. Yesterday she had a couple of snaps at the others but today has been a nightmare. She had flown off the settee at one point to attack one of them. I know it will take longer that 24 hours to settle in but how can I help. Not only is it stressful to the other digs but evee must be under pressure aswell. I don't want to rehome her but if it comes to that then I will find the best home I can

You must separate these dogs and not just expect them all to get on from the get-go. They need time to adjust to the new member of the household.

I agree with all the above re any resources until these dogs know each other better.
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 29th Feb 2012, 10:25 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 22692

Just a quick reply before those more knowledgable than me come along.

But my first thought is to make her feel safer by having a 'safe place' for her, an open crate partialy covered over in another room where other dogs can not get to her. My guess is she has lost her home and she wants some security. My thinking would be that she is scared and is warning off the other dogs before they get her. Poor little girl (and poor you). Ange

Oops others were obviously replying while I was thinking about it

This post has been edited by Auntie Ange: 29th Feb 2012, 10:28 pm
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 1:43 pm