IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Important

This forum is for rehoming by experienced and reputable rescues (or on their behalf with their full knowledge and agreement) which will nornally mean those listed on the www.dogpages.org.uk website. Please ensure that the name of the rescue is within the post. There is a separate forum below for private re-homings. Please contact a moderator for help or clarification.

Photos can be loaded directly to the Dogpages server. See here.

Closed TopicStart new topic
> 8 Month Old Doberman Bitch Puppy, Lizzies Barn - being fostered in Gloucestershire
Gilly1
post 28th Feb 2012, 9:22 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 13723

A month ago I heard about 2 Dobie pups being kept in back garden in an unheated shed!!! The owners had brought as puppies but could not get them house trained - they even tried sending them away for training with a behaviorist that is how I found out about them - as they did not have time themselves to train them - they then decided that they could not longer keep them as they were going to move abroad - when I went to pick these two dogs up you could see every rib in their bodies especially Tess who is a very unusual blue colour- they were 8 months old and that was their life - I fostered the boy and another lady the girl - Baxter her brother was the bigger of the two and soon put on weight, got his house training sorted out - and has gone off to the most fantastic home where he continues to thrive - Tess his sister has taken that bit longer to put weight on so has not been ready until now... Both these two dogs after the way they have been kept I cannot believe have the most lovely nature there was no malice at all in both of them - guard dogs!!! forget it never going to be good house dogs they love everyone - there biggest problem is that they are 8 month puppies going on 10 weeks - they are learning everything now they should have done months ago so in some ways this makes them hard work the only way I can describe it as having a 2 year old toddler in the house again - if they are quiet they are up to something!!! So because of the time and training they need we will not home to homes with children under 10 because they need this time... Tess is very good with other dogs but like Baxter she can play hard so she would suit either as an only dog with someone around most of the time or with an equally playful dog. I have put below the foster homes report and how she is getting on.... If you are interested please email for a questionnaire in the first instance. No full time workers or children under 10 please... Tess like Baxter is living with a cat - my cat is very dog savvy and takes no prisoners but still Baxter would be forever kissing him and hitting him with his nose no malice but very annoying for the cat but as time went on the cat did lose his appeal - Tess finds the cat really good fun because she runs so not going as well but I am sure seeing as they are so similar in natures there is nothing nasty so if you do have a cat it must be very dog savvy otherwise Tess will just chase it... My email address is theminnicans@dsl.pipex.com

FOSTER HOME REPORT...
Tess arrived approximately 4 weeks ago, on the verge of being emaciated. She was rescued from outside kennels with no heating along with her brother and they were put with foster homes instantly. We got Tess.
For a bitch that hadn’t had TLC or been allowed in a home environment she was amazingly soft and gentle. There was absolutely no separation anxiety away from her brother but I have two very well behaved and sociable dogs that she settled with. She was ‘starving’ but you could take anything she had grabbed from her mouth without any malice from her. My young Labrador also tried to take any stolen food from her (thinking his luck was in) and again no malice from her.

Tess quickly conditioned with lots of love, fuss, attention, good regular food and exercise. She easily corrects to discipline and her recall is very good. She is housetrained but with any puppy/young dog you MUST keep an eye out for the obvious. She needs to be let out when she has eaten, woken up, periodically throughout the day in conjunction to how much she has drunk etc….bit like a baby!! I have used a dog cage for her since arrival which has been a god send. However she now only goes into it when I go out or after eating where she needs to settle and overnight. She is excellent overnight!!

She is very fit, has two walks a day where she has an absolute blast with my young Labrador! She is very sociable when meeting other dogs. She is very sociable with people and is child safe with my girls albeit aged 12 and 14 and I have left her with them alone on numerous occasions since she arrived. She has met a friend’s 3 year old daughter and was very curious and perhaps a bit boisterous with her as Grace is a bit wobbly on her feet with a Doberman stuffing her nose into her face every 5 mins!!!

In as much as she is very fit she loves to snuggle up to you, literally, on the couch or anywhere you are! She can’t get enough of warmth! She snuggles to my daughters, to my Labrador, she snuggles to people she has barely met. She is very loving and loves her ‘people’. I have no idea why Doberman’s get bad press and are continuously portrayed as teeth snarling jaw foaming mutts guarding your property??!

This post has been edited by Gilly1: 28th Feb 2012, 9:28 pm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gilly1
post 28th Feb 2012, 9:24 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

This post has been edited by Gilly1: 28th Feb 2012, 9:41 pm
+Quote Post
Gilly1
post 28th Feb 2012, 9:30 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Sorry having a nightmare downloading pictures for some reason.... rolleyes.gif

not sure why it will not work you can email for pictures and I will try and sort out....

This post has been edited by Gilly1: 28th Feb 2012, 9:39 pm
+Quote Post
Khan's Mum
post 1st Mar 2012, 12:13 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 4325

Tess is beautiful! wub.gif

Baxter, her brother is now living with a lovely family that I've known for years. He's only been with them for a couple of weeks and they're absolutely 'over the moon' with him.
He's such a laid-back, happy boy - and takes everything in his stride. He's enjoying so many new things - a Rottie-X sister to play with, training classes where he isn't phased at all by all the new people and other dogs - and he's such a quick learner! angel.gif

Fingers crossed that Tess will find her fab new home soon - I think someone will be very lucky to have her! ooo.gif

Jo x
+Quote Post
Gilly1
post 3rd Mar 2012, 10:27 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Tess has visitors on Sunday smile.gif
+Quote Post
Gilly1
post 4th Mar 2012, 10:11 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Tess still available people did not ring last night to make appointment to meet her so are obviously too busy for a young dog err.gif sad.gif
+Quote Post
kimthecat
post 4th Mar 2012, 1:47 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 4804

Sorry to hear that. She really is lovely wub.gif and I hope she finds her fprever home soon.
+Quote Post
Gilly1
post 9th Mar 2012, 10:58 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Tess has visitors tomorrow...