IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teaching Down On The Spot
Jenny.Wren
post 28th Feb 2012, 11:57 am
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 10802

when I'm training with ellie and ask for DOWN, she always walks to me and gives me DOWN, I would like her to give the DOWN in her current spot. I'm not talking about long distance downs, this happens when she is only a few feet away from me. I just want her to stay put with a down tongue.gif

any advice?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
claire&daisy
post 28th Feb 2012, 12:00 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 51076

Teach it on a lead with the dog in front of you. Use your other hand to hold the treat high, lower it, say down. Give treat.
Do it with lead off, still in front.
One Pace away, ask for her to hold position before stepping in and rewarding.
Further away as above. Keep the hand signal. Don`t lean in to her or nod your head. She should watch your hand. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 28th Feb 2012, 12:54 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 10491

I would say 'down' then run towards her and praise her in the down- I crouch down and roll the dog over to ruffle the tummy so encouraging the dog to stay down, rather than get up when I arrive.

I use a release word for the dog to get up.

When training I never call the dog to me after the down as I want to reinforce the down where she is, not encourage her to come forward.
Only when the dog is experienced would I call her to me, and only rarely, as I don't want the dog going down and then deciding to get up because that is what usually happens.

Start with her only a couple of paces away and as she responds increase the distance.

I also reinforce the cue by asking for a down at different times- the dog may be beside me or it may be further away, it may be retrieving a toy or sniffing in the undergrowth as,in an emergency, I want an instant response no matter what the dog is doing.

+Quote Post
jackied
post 28th Feb 2012, 12:58 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 40705

I trained it with Twix from the other side of a baby gate, so he couldn't creep, and got used to doing it at a distance (which I built up slowly of course).

Lucy learned 'distance' naturally - I was asking for a down while she was waiting for a ball throw, and she didn't come closer because she was anticipating the ball.

Teaching a 'go to mat' probably helps them get the idea of working at a distance too.

--------------------
www.www.jackieduckworthart.co.uk

Pet portraits and original artwork.
+Quote Post
Jenny.Wren
post 29th Feb 2012, 10:41 am
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(Dalsmum @ 28th Feb 2012, 12:54 pm) *

I would say 'down' then run towards her and praise her in the down-

I will try this but I literally say down and she's already on her way to me. I'm not sure if running at her will confuse her then she'll just stand there looking at me.

she's very good when in down position and will stay put until i release her. I also practice down and stay whilst in the park.
+Quote Post
misty11
post 29th Feb 2012, 12:02 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 4551

Try teaching send away or send to bed, will get her used to doing a down at a distance. Most dogs love to do a sendaway!

+Quote Post
coinsky
post 29th Feb 2012, 12:28 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 14818

How instant is her down? I found that until I had a down = hit the floor immediately it's hard to stop them coming towards you.

So I did lots of play with tuggy or just jumping about getting her excited and then DOWN! and then jump up again etc until she is hitting the floor before you have even finished the word really excitedly. And then start to build it up where you take just a step away as playing and say it. Because they are in a frame of mind of playng the instant down game they usually just do it without thinking. And then build up. smile.gif

The other thing that is useful is to not reward near you....so you are a few metres away...say down.....dog drops...click ... and throw the treat back past the dog.

--------------------
http://www.pawtracks.co.uk/

For dog walking and pet sitting in Scottish Borders and Midlothian area.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 29th Feb 2012, 12:34 pm
Post #8

Member No.: 10491

I will try this but I literally say down and she's already on her way to me. I'm not sure if running at her will confuse her then she'll just stand there looking at me.

then I would run her back to where you wanted her to down and cue down again then praise her. So she gets the reward at the distant spot.

the running back would be in the form of 'aren't you silly', not a reprimand in any way.

i have also used a toy to get distance. Cue down as they reach the toy and run out to them. If the dog stops to pick up the toy it gives you more time to get out there.

if you have a great game with a tuggy or a rough and tumble when you reach her she will not stay confused.

It is just another game.
+Quote Post
misty11
post 29th Feb 2012, 5:52 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4551

QUOTE(coinsky @ 29th Feb 2012, 12:28 pm) *

How instant is her down? I found that until I had a down = hit the floor immediately it's hard to stop them coming towards you.

So I did lots of play with tuggy or just jumping about getting her excited and then DOWN! and then jump up again etc until she is hitting the floor before you have even finished the word really excitedly. And then start to build it up where you take just a step away as playing and say it. Because they are in a frame of mind of playng the instant down game they usually just do it without thinking. And then build up. smile.gif

The other thing that is useful is to not reward near you....so you are a few metres away...say down.....dog drops...click ... and throw the treat back past the dog.

That's what I do, why didn't I suggest it lol.gif . I also do lots of "are you ready ...." could be down, sit, spin, close, etc. makes them listen to you and make them think!
+Quote Post
bulldozer
post 1st Mar 2012, 8:44 am
Post #10

Member No.: 35806

QUOTE(coinsky @ 29th Feb 2012, 12:28 pm) *

This is how i have taught Beryl, but you do need an instant down before you start teaching it away from you wink.gif
+Quote Post
jackied
post 1st Mar 2012, 11:10 am
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 40705

The kikopup video linked to on the 'stand' thread deals brilliantly with 'down on the spot'. Reminded me all over again what a fantastic trainer Kiko's owner is.

--------------------
www.www.jackieduckworthart.co.uk

Pet portraits and original artwork.
+Quote Post
Jenny.Wren
post 1st Mar 2012, 9:21 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

yes it sounds like playing around with her and getting her to DOWN as part of the play will work as she can be very responsive. Good tip too about not rewarding her near me

QUOTE(jackied @ 1st Mar 2012, 11:10 am) *

The kikopup video linked to on the 'stand' thread deals brilliantly with 'down on the spot'. Reminded me all over again what a fantastic trainer Kiko's owner is.

she's fab isn't she. If I was mega rich I would fly her out to me, let her live with me and train my doggies lol.gif I love her BC Splash..... wub.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd December 2014 - 2:45 am