IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teaching Loose Lead Walking, Video
riotous_uk
post 25th Feb 2012, 2:48 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 3186

Quite a nice video of how to teach LLW and it shows how to use 300 peck. Would be better if she was looking wher she was walking rather than at the dog, but..
http://youtu.be/DayHrhoSJZc
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
KB Merlin's Mum
post 25th Feb 2012, 5:43 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 27973

ohmy.gif Cuba is a bit lush, isn't he. wub.gif wub.gif
+Quote Post
nicola31
post 5th Mar 2012, 12:17 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 31423

Thank you, thank you, thank you riotus_uk, between this video and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bREJ5SlaJSs this one from davidthedogtrainer, I think we might be getting somewhere. It is as if something has suddenly clicked for both me and Billy lol.gif

I have been concentrating on focus which is not Billy's strong point out of the house and garden, but on Saturday I was doing a couple of steps c/t and turns in the garden with the side gate open and Billy on lead. This was going well so we ventured towards the gate and he stopped and looked at me instead of bombing through!! Progress wub.gif (However, we are struggling to recreate this rolleyes.gif )

We don't go far on our walks, just on the lane in front of the house but with all our backwards and forwards we are out for about half an hour at a time and over the last week we have managed to get further and further, I am even able to get Billy to do a sit away from the house yay.gif

I am trying to take him somewhere new each week in the car, I have to give him 10mins or so to take in his surroundings and then work on LLW and focus.

All in all, by jove we may be getting somewhere, so thanks again for the video link, it really helped.
+Quote Post
tangojulie
post 5th Mar 2012, 3:08 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 51047

Thanks for this, good to see different variations. I like the idea of turning to start with

I can see how much it helps to deliver the reward in exactly the right place at the right time - so do all you tall people with small dogs have any tips on how best to do this? It looks straightforward when dog's head is at hand height but if there's a big gap, how do you manage to deliver the treat while you and the dog are still walking?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th December 2014 - 2:23 pm