IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chasing Other Dogs
heidiho
post 20th Feb 2012, 5:36 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 36254

Hi I havnt been on this site for ages but i am an avid lurker smile.gif . My problem is Milly she is a cheeky 4 yr old patterdale x staffy x collie who has a high prey drive .

She is very clever and we play hunt the tennis ball or fetch for hours. BUT our saluki x grey has taught her to chase . He loves being chased and will run from her with her in hot pursuit. our pug x border terrier just tries to keep up .

When this first started it was a great way for them to exersise but now she has started to run up to other dogs barking and chasing them , she is also showing a little aggressive body language too.

I have to drive 5 miles from home to let her off as we have lots of sheep round us but now I cant let her off full stop . This is causing problems as she is a stresser on lead and walks have become miserable.

Its my fault I didnt see it coming is there anything i can do training wise which can change this behavior .

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dogaholic
post 21st Feb 2012, 10:09 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 27309

Do your dogs play chase in your garden or house? If they do, stage one would be teaching them to recall to you during play with each other at home. If your other chaser has a good recall Millie should learn this fairly easily, as the game will stop when you call him, so she has nothing to chase!
+Quote Post
pangolin
post 21st Feb 2012, 10:15 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 45080

This could be worth a read
http://www.dog-secrets.co.uk/how-do-i-stop-my-dog-chasing/
+Quote Post
heidiho
post 21st Feb 2012, 4:22 pm
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 36254

Hi thanks for the replies. Flash's recall is good but when he is in full flight he goes deaf . They dont really run in the garden as there is a lot of gravel . Milly loves a ball but I have to watch out incase another dog appears as she can be protective.

I do have that book, forgot i had it will have a read tonight . They just love the game so much The boys can switch off when we meet other dogs but Milly stays wired and i hate putting her on lead as this is causing more excitement.

Its so frustrating our walks used to be trouble free i feel so stressed about it sad.gif

+Quote Post
Cautious Casper
post 2nd Mar 2012, 11:27 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 53717

I really feel for you hug.gif

My JRT Casper discovered chase when Hollie joined us back in October. I thought the same, that it was a great way to burn off the energy. He then started chasing and going for other dogs. I spoke to the vet who said he was being protective but what you were saying about Millie chasing sounds very familiar. It's like there's a change in him as he chases is the only way I can describe it and yes, he too becomes as deaf as a post! I'd seen it with him chasing Hollie and just thought it was enthusiasm err.gif

I haven't had any advice that's been helpful yet (should have come on here sooner) but I'll let you know what I'm trying. I started by throwing treats down when he came close and talked to him when he made eye contact. That helped to make sure I got his attention before another dog did and I could get his lead on. I'm also watching for 'the switch' when he's playing with Hollie. I either call one or both of them back or a firm no, followed by a reward or praise for coming back or stopping. I also have a command of 'enough' that tells them they've gone too far, so occasionally I use that. Sometimes if they're having a long play session I'll say enough and give them lots of calm praise, then if they want they'll carry on but usually down a notch. Not really passed any dogs the last week as I've been getting so stressed with it I've been doing their long walk on lead.

Casper's a rescue and came with quite a few other issues that are slowly being worked on so that may be no help whatsoever lol.gif I do hope someone comes along soon with some more helpful advice
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 8:11 am