IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

28 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Dog Training Success And Progression Thread, Part II
KB Merlin's Mum
post 11th Feb 2012, 9:26 pm
Post #31

Group: Member
Member No.: 27973

QUOTE(claire&daisy @ 11th Feb 2012, 5:04 pm) *

I now feel I deserve chocolate. rolleyes.gif

And wine. Definitely. hug.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rosiemongrel
post 11th Feb 2012, 10:54 pm
Post #32

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 30558

Good boy Barney angel.gif

Good boy Prince wub.gif
+Quote Post
jackied
post 12th Feb 2012, 12:08 pm
Post #33

Group Icon

Member No.: 40705

Gorgeous dog. Definitely chocolate! And maybe cocoa on a day like today.

--------------------
www.www.jackieduckworthart.co.uk

Pet portraits and original artwork.
+Quote Post
Purdy Bear
post 13th Feb 2012, 1:05 pm
Post #34

Group Icon

Member No.: 23167

Connor did a blinder today. Recently Iv been using the Ah ha sharp bark like phrase when he goes to attack the dogs on TV, and yesterday he turned his back on one and sat down, and at other times he comes and sits under my legs.

Well today I took him down out local church yard and we came within a cars length of an off lead Jack Russell. Said dog look pretty mean, well I looked down at my chap, he had turned round to sniff the lamp post and didnt reacte at all. Now Im not sure if he had seen him, but Im sure he would have smelt the other dog.

Connor never made a squeek and infact just headed off in the other direction a very happy boy.

His still whineing a bit when watching 'Me or the Dog' but its coming along.

This is from a dog who would go beserk within 300 yards of a dog, lunge, bark, growl.

PS: Im concerned for the little JR, the road they crossed has a lot of trucks coming and going and they simply wouldnt see a little dog standing in the road. The owner just walked off and let the dog follow 20 ft behind. sad.gif
+Quote Post
jackied
post 14th Feb 2012, 9:31 am
Post #35

Group Icon

He was making the very good choice to go and sniff the lamp post and ignore the dog - that's really excellent.

--------------------

+Quote Post
staffymad
post 15th Feb 2012, 9:30 am
Post #36

Member No.: 11452

Well done to all the clever doggies and humans yay.gif

I got a little break through with Lilly and leave this morning. We were out in teh fields and she spotted a little field mouse in a brambly kind of bush and was trying to get to it. I asked her to leave, the mouse took its chance and started running into thicker undergrowth behind a wire fence and Lilly left it to do so. wub.gif

Its a small step but into the right direction grin.gif
+Quote Post
KB Merlin's Mum
post 15th Feb 2012, 10:59 am
Post #37

Member No.: 27973

QUOTE(staffymad @ 15th Feb 2012, 9:30 am) *

From little acorns, grand oaks do grow.
+Quote Post
Jenny.Wren
post 15th Feb 2012, 11:28 am
Post #38

Group Icon

Member No.: 10802

QUOTE(staffymad @ 15th Feb 2012, 9:30 am) *

I asked her to leave, the mouse took its chance and started running into thicker undergrowth behind a wire fence and Lilly left it to do so. wub.gif

well done Lilly yippee.gif

Ellie responds to "leave it", however Sam has learnt that it always mean I'm asking her to leave something small and furry and that then gets him all excited rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
staffymad
post 15th Feb 2012, 12:08 pm
Post #39

QUOTE(KB Merlin's Mum @ 15th Feb 2012, 10:59 am) *

From little acorns, grand oaks do grow.

Thank you flowers.gif

QUOTE(Jenny.Wren @ 15th Feb 2012, 11:28 am) *

well done Lilly yippee.gif

Ellie responds to "leave it", however Sam has learnt that it always mean I'm asking her to leave something small and furry and that then gets him all excited rolleyes.gif

Thank you flowers.gif I am trying to get her 100% leave not so much for fod and household etc but so I can get her to leave cats alone she might spot. She will never be safe around cats but if I can get her to leave one that is stupid enough to come into the garden long enough for said cat to make a runner, that would be fab smile.gif And it will help around horses as we are now at the stage of 'won't bark at them' if they move past but if someone stops for a banter (dispite me saying she is not horse friendly), I hope this 'wildlife' leave will help too.
+Quote Post
jackied
post 15th Feb 2012, 2:30 pm
Post #40

Group Icon

well done Lilly

Absolutely, very well done to leave something as enticing as that. 'Leave' non food items is a command I seem to be very forgetful about teaching for some reason, and it would be so useful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
laa
post 15th Feb 2012, 3:25 pm
Post #41

Member No.: 49937

Tra-la-la! Good mood because of a good walk with Lady, second in a row at the green. Yesterday the place was empty which was fab, and Lady had a majorly fun time!

But today lots of dogs popped in and out of the green and she coped WONDERFULLY! She paid attention to me (did take a while to respond to the clicker a couple of times doing LAT but it wasn't really an issue, just moved further away), usually she starts getting a little hyped up and charges around, but today she was just...calm! Brilliant!

It's taken a long while but we seem to be making some fast progress at the moment wub.gif
+Quote Post
staffymad
post 15th Feb 2012, 4:12 pm
Post #42

QUOTE(laa @ 15th Feb 2012, 3:25 pm) *

Tra-la-la! Good mood because of a good walk with Lady, second in a row at the green. Yesterday the place was empty which was fab, and Lady had a majorly fun time!

But today lots of dogs popped in and out of the green and she coped WONDERFULLY! She paid attention to me (did take a while to respond to the clicker a couple of times doing LAT but it wasn't really an issue, just moved further away), usually she starts getting a little hyped up and charges around, but today she was just...calm! Brilliant!

It's taken a long while but we seem to be making some fast progress at the moment wub.gif

Well done Lady yay.gif
+Quote Post
jackied
post 15th Feb 2012, 4:19 pm
Post #43

Group Icon

It's taken a long while but we seem to be making some fast progress at the moment

She must have been taking things in and learning all that time and now it's showing. Fab!

--------------------

+Quote Post
laa
post 15th Feb 2012, 5:47 pm
Post #44

Member No.: 49937

TBH I think the biggest impact has been getting attention back to me, rather than on everything else on the environment. Since I can get her attention quickly now, and have her regularly checking in to me, and have a pretty solid recall, the rest has been pretty easy comparatively - its easier to get her out of bad situations before they start, which has been fantastic smile.gif

Less set-backs with her digging in and standing her ground and me not being able to get her out of the situation so a reaction was inevitable. Woop woop! Waaay better angel.gif
+Quote Post
rosiemongrel
post 15th Feb 2012, 6:16 pm
Post #45

Group Icon

Member No.: 30558

I think you are doing so well. I don't know how people manage big doglets like yours in situations where they kick off. Mine are of a size where I could, if necessary, pick them up and carry them. Not sure how far I could carry a 22 kg dog tongue.gif , but it I could manage it if necessary. With a dog like Lady, that's never really an option, is it. I think you are an angel.gif ! As is Lady angel.gif .
+Quote Post

28 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th November 2014 - 4:16 am