IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

28 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Dog Training Success And Progression Thread, Part II
laa
post 10th Apr 2012, 1:06 pm
Post #121

Group: Member
Member No.: 49937

Everyone's doing so well! Well done everyone, lots of major progress here!

I just had a second stooge set up with Lady and a small floofy dog, Agnus smile.gif

The first one was amazing, no reactions or anything but it was at quite a distance, in the dark, with little Agnus in a fab down stay for 10 minutes.

This time me and Lady managed to get much closer, Agnus was wandering around, having a sniff, looking at Lady and generally being a dog.

Lady had one reaction, I guess I must've missed her escalating her stress levels a little (it was all so fast!) and charged at the poor little thing, but she quickly recovered, we went back and started at a slightly longer distance and ended on a good note (until she realised little Agnus was still there as we went up to our flat and she had a paddy rolleyes.gif learn to get agnus to hide next time!)

But Lady was regularly looking at Agnus all relaxed and looking straight back to me, and i started clicking the look back which was great! smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rosiemongrel
post 10th Apr 2012, 2:27 pm
Post #122

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 30558

yay.gif for Lady and all the other dogs being clever yippee.gif.

It's offishul. Pip can finally, reliably deliver a frisbee to hand smug.gif.
+Quote Post
remedios
post 10th Apr 2012, 3:51 pm
Post #123

Group Icon

Member No.: 49923

QUOTE(MadzandLeah @ 8th Apr 2012, 4:10 pm) *

Is proud of orange dog!

Orange dog is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! wub.gif wub.gif
+Quote Post
jackied
post 10th Apr 2012, 4:34 pm
Post #124

Group Icon

Member No.: 40705

Sounds like Agnus is a star! Well done for organising a set-up, it requires a lot of effort but I'm sure I should do more of it.

Good Pip, too!

Today Twix greeted a strange lurcher with a happy waggy tail ohmy.gif you could have knocked me over with a feather. And he'd just come home from 10 days in kennels - shows how much that doesn't stress him.

--------------------
www.www.jackieduckworthart.co.uk

Pet portraits and original artwork.
+Quote Post
laa
post 10th Apr 2012, 4:54 pm
Post #125

Member No.: 49937

QUOTE(jackied @ 10th Apr 2012, 5:34 pm) *

Sounds like Agnus is a star! Well done for organising a set-up, it requires a lot of effort but I'm sure I should do more of it.

Good Pip, too!

Today Twix greeted a strange lurcher with a happy waggy tail ohmy.gif you could have knocked me over with a feather. And he'd just come home from 10 days in kennels - shows how much that doesn't stress him.

OOooooh I'm so happy! That's amazing, big well done to Twix!

Agnus is a little star of a dog. She's still a puppy (uuh. about 10mth i think?) and quite tiny and scaredy, but she apparently barely even flinched when Lady decided to try and charge at her rolleyes.gif Norty Lady trying to scare a poor little dog about 1/5th of her size!

Its quite handy actually, she's a friend from works dog who lives a mile or so away, so she takes her for her usual walk, gives me a bell when she gets here and i get to do some training! Fab!
+Quote Post
jackied
post 11th Apr 2012, 5:26 pm
Post #126

Group Icon

Twix tried to come on Lucy's afternoon walk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif crying.gif smile.gif

(He's been on one quiet walk a day for 2 years, because he'd become fearful of leaving the house.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
pangolin
post 11th Apr 2012, 6:34 pm
Post #127

Group Icon

Member No.: 45080

QUOTE(jackied @ 11th Apr 2012, 6:26 pm) *

Twix tried to come on Lucy's afternoon walk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile.gif crying.gif smile.gif

(He's been on one quiet walk a day for 2 years, because he'd become fearful of leaving the house.)

Well done Twix smile.gif

Kiki saw a rabbit on today's warmup walk before our run...and headed the opposite direction with me ohmy.gif I haven't actively done much anti-chasing training lately but instead been trying to fill her walks with activities other than chasing a ball and I guess maybe she's become a bit less inclined to go for the chase. We also had two dogs zoooom right past us and despite a little initial excitement, she was actually pulling at the lead to head the opposite direction (knowing which route we were heading) instead of towards the dogs. I think she's quite enjoying these runs, she was eager to get started!
+Quote Post
staffymad
post 12th Apr 2012, 1:25 pm
Post #128

Member No.: 11452

I am all yay.gif and crying.gif reading about all those progresses but must say, especially Lady and Twix wub.gif
+Quote Post
riotous_uk
post 16th Apr 2012, 10:03 pm
Post #129

Group Icon

Member No.: 3186

Alfie passed his Good Cits Silver tonight smile.gif yay.gif He was a really good boy, did a super recall from distractions, best loose lead walking his done for ages and was a good boy in the van for the vehicle control (always a hard one for me cos the other dogs bark when I put dogs in or out). Such a settled stay, first time a strange rhas examined him and he didn't bat an eyelid or go too silly. He had one silly moment when the examiner held him when I did teh roadwalk with faith and it was when I took him back off the examiner that he got abit daft. Had to laugh though, the examiner said that when I asked Faith to sit at the kerb, Alfie promptly sat as well,e ven though I was a good 15 yards away from him and not even looking at him...guess Sit is on a verbal cue then lol.gif

just hoping this makes him more appealing to folks looking for a dog to rehome, he's been here way too long now and really needs a home to call his own.
+Quote Post
muttlover2
post 16th Apr 2012, 10:32 pm
Post #130

Member No.: 54116

wow well done everyone. Twix! wub.gif

Alfie is gorgeous and clever! I think it's just a really sad sign of the times that such a dog is still looking for a home. sad.gif Seems like the rescue situation is just really bad at the moment.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 17th Apr 2012, 8:32 am
Post #131

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Well done everyone! And especially Alfie, really time you found your sofa now wub.gif

As per my last post in the failures thread, I should be in here with Rai for her toys lol.gif

She's now having a tennis ball on most walks ('most' only really because tennis balls are allowed to be destroyed (this helps her cope better without becoming manic for days) so I can't afford her to have one every walk lol.gif), and she's having the uber-crazy-making cuz once or twice a month without too much issue. And yesterday she ran around whipping herself with a tug for an hour lol.gif and is fine today smile.gif

Generally she is much happier - this is a big part of the toy thing, because they are both a crutch and a victim lol.gif for her stress, so her stress levels generally being improved means she's not doing the crazy manic for days thing afterwards.
+Quote Post
jackied
post 17th Apr 2012, 11:33 am
Post #132

Group Icon

Generally she is much happier

That's lovely. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosiemongrel
post 22nd Apr 2012, 3:07 pm
Post #133

Group Icon

Member No.: 30558

Pip and I have been having some fun, learning to weave. Here is a little video of our efforts (click to play):

I'm particularly proud of this because I have never taught any dog to weave, and we don't go to agility classes. We have been learning it with a DVD. She seems to really love it, finds her entries nicely and powers through to the end completely independently. She is beginning to single-step through them, too. This week, we will try and close the poles completely (they are currently around 1 inch apart). Please excuse me looking terrible rolleyes.gif .

PS: This is the first ever video-clip I have ever edited, so it's not very swanky tongue.gif.

This post has been edited by rosiemongrel: 22nd Apr 2012, 3:32 pm
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 22nd Apr 2012, 3:20 pm
Post #134

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

wow you are a great trainer!
+Quote Post
celia
post 22nd Apr 2012, 5:32 pm
Post #135

Group Icon

Member No.: 7184

Video is great and Pip is clearly having a wonderful time . Really well done both you and Pip wub.gif
+Quote Post

28 Pages V « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 3:56 am