IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

28 Pages V « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Dog Training Success And Progression Thread, Part II
jackied
post 25th Mar 2012, 9:41 am
Post #106

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 40705

Lovely to read how people are doing. smile.gif

--------------------
www.www.jackieduckworthart.co.uk

Pet portraits and original artwork.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 27th Mar 2012, 8:56 pm
Post #107

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Raine tried to play with a dog grin.gif yay.gif wub.gif

Late walk today and it was playing with Linc, but she still tried to have a good sniff and a bit of a play, which is brilliant compared to hanging round the outskirts of the meeting and avoiding everyone biggrin.gif

I think it helped that it looked like a stretched out Opi lol.gif but it's all good!

She did need a lot of reassurance - which takes the form of her trying to jump into my arms blink.gif but that's fine, happy to give her that as it does boost her bravery a bit wub.gif May have to teach her to turn when she jumps though so I can actually catch her, instead of getting claws in my gut blink.gif lol.gif
+Quote Post
jackied
post 30th Mar 2012, 10:17 am
Post #108

Group Icon

Well, she may have turned into a complete nightmare with birds, but Lucy was a star at training last night, and has passed the pet dog, agility and rally sections of our training class' Bronze certificate. Just Freestyle to go (though we're a bit behind on that as she's difficult to shape - officially confirmed by pro dog trainer now! - it is SO difficult to click her for the action without also clicking her for barking)

And we had a plumber on Wednesday who had to walk through the kitchen several times and Twix (crated)stayed lying down and didn't garr at him (pieces of liver from me helped, but that wouldn't have worked a year ago). smile.gif

Well done Raine smile.gif

--------------------

Pet portraits and original artwork.
+Quote Post
janeddie
post 30th Mar 2012, 2:24 pm
Post #109

Group: Member
Member No.: 37188

Well done all smile.gif

Eddie walked ALONGSIDE an ENTIRE huge, black and white, gorgeous husky last night - both had a sniff of each other and then carried on walking up the road together side by side whilst me and the owner chatted .. although I was probably talking dribble (no chnage there) as I was so gobsmacked lol.gif

This post has been edited by janeddie: 30th Mar 2012, 2:26 pm
+Quote Post
rosiemongrel
post 1st Apr 2012, 5:59 pm
Post #110

Group Icon

Member No.: 30558

Wow - well done Eddie!! angel.gif angel.gif

After 2 years, Pip can finally place her ballies into my hand yippee.gif. This has been very hard for her, as she really wants you to throw it, but she also really wants to keep it rolleyes.gif , and so she used to shove the ball in your face, and then turn her head away at the last second, when you reached out to take it mad.gif . She was really conflicted about it, and it was frustrating for us all. I can now confirm that she can also place her frisbee in my hand smug.gif. Her firsbee is her all-time favourite toy, and she really really doesn't want to give this up, so I'm chuffed that we have built up the trust & understanding for her to do this. I played frisbee with her last week and for the whole game I didn't have to move my feet at all, as she brought it right back to me every time wub.gif.

We have just come back from holiday, and the cottage we rented has a low-ish fence (3 feet or so), so you can see the peeps on the other side, and you can see the dogs on the other side through various gaps & holes. I was fully expecting Mr B and young Miss P to be served with an ASBO after a couple of hours, as they tend to bark at stuff they can see (which is why we have a tall, non-see through fence at home). But in 7 days, Barney & Pip barked at the neighbours precisely zero times smug.gif, joined in when the other dogs kicked off precisely zero times smug.gif, and had to be brought back inside in disgrace precisely zero times smug.gif. Molly the collie and the black poodley thing (who lived next-door and next-door-plus-one) fence fought twice, and were dragged inside in disgrace. When Barney & Pip played fetch in the garden, the poodle (who was clearly visible) went ballistic, and had to be brough indoors. B & P carried on playing fetch without so much as a glance in the poodle's direction. I was most thrilled with them (admittedly, the fact that I was rewarding them heavily for *not* barking and for laying calmly on their blanket may have helped, but still!).

This post has been edited by rosiemongrel: 1st Apr 2012, 5:59 pm
+Quote Post
MadzandLeah
post 1st Apr 2012, 9:12 pm
Post #111

Member No.: 34421

Small orange dog managed to be off lead near trees and rabbits and not leg it for 40 minutes, or 2 minutes, or at all!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Now I am not stupid and know this was a fluke, but its the first time he has managed it in nearly 18 months that he has lived here. It may also have something to do with the fact he is still really rather tired from training classes 3 days in a row...but still!

and, we walked passed a growly staffy this morning and he didnt feel the need to try and eat it.

proud of orange dog, and wondering when he was swapped from my naughty one to this rather well behaved imposter!
+Quote Post
Amaranth
post 2nd Apr 2012, 6:55 am
Post #112

Group Icon

Member No.: 2448

Jones jumped clear in a casual jumping class on Sunday. Training between jumps to calm down meant we were 19 seconds over time but that's no problem as speed is definitely not going to be an issue for him smile.gif
He was excellently behaved with all the dogs too smile.gif
+Quote Post
staffymad
post 2nd Apr 2012, 8:56 am
Post #113

Member No.: 11452

Aww well done to all the dogs and owners of course yay.gif
+Quote Post
celia
post 3rd Apr 2012, 8:34 pm
Post #114

Group Icon

Member No.: 7184

This is a progress report on me not the dogs. It is long.

Today the oversized dacshound with all his bits came rousting over towards us again. Last time Barney had to be put on lead as it danced around him and Beth had to opt to lay down to make herself boring enough for him to leave us alone. He only left us when he found better prey, 5 dogs 1 with dog issues . Owner was in fact a statue of a person, a silent immoveable statue. I never got to speak with her as she was always several hundred yards away and totally still.

So today out he trots and Beth says, met you before don't like you leave my bottom alone and she played statues herself. She stood stock still for several minute I quickly put B on lead and this time owner was within hailing distance so...
The following is my escalation of demands pleas requests cajoling and then the thing that I said at the end that resolved matters. The other human only said one thing "alfiealfiealfiealfiealfiealfiealfiealfiealfiealfie........" and she only said it from about my fourth thing. He is a dog with the longest name I ever heard. rolleyes.gif
What I said;
Sorry would you call your dog away mine doesn't want to say hello
He really isn't that friendly with dogs he doesn't know
He is not enjoying this
Please would you call your dog away mine has arthritis and this is hurting him
Neither of my dogs want to play please call him away
This really isn't fair I am going to have to let Barney off

And lo, she produced a lead , she moved and approached her dog , Alfiealfiealfiealfie doesn't wear a collar, and she put him onlead and walked away.

Not something I want to say but I am glad I did .

+Quote Post
riotous_uk
post 4th Apr 2012, 9:12 am
Post #115

Group Icon

Member No.: 3186

you were much politer than I would have been!
+Quote Post
GSDSian
post 4th Apr 2012, 8:26 pm
Post #116

Group Icon

Member No.: 18077

Had a tiny breakthrough with Mabon today and in the grand scheme of things not a biggie. But Mabon finally worked out standing 2 on 2 off a wooden plank. rolleyes.gif Its taken months (although probably not working on it as much as I should) he could hold his position but struggled to grasp getting into position.

If he learns everything else as quickly he'll have his first agility competition when he's 54. lol.gif
+Quote Post
MadzandLeah
post 8th Apr 2012, 3:10 pm
Post #117

Member No.: 34421

Orange dog came on Easter walkies with us around the local res and nature reserve, being Easter morning meant lots of walkers, runners, cyclists and doggits, now luckily people he is fine with and thinks everyone is there to fuss him. We managed a 2-3 hour walk round with only one paddy at another dog, and that was a very bouncy springer who charged right into his face, so I shall fogive him that one as it was a small paddy anyway.
He ignored a lovely saluki lurcher with its nose up his bum, we were walking and shovelling treats in, but no growl, no hackles, no stiffening. Not a grumble at any of the jack russels, which he normally hates, and for the first time ever he spotted a dog and automatically looked at me for his treat, not once but 3 times!!

Is proud of orange dog!

+Quote Post
riotous_uk
post 8th Apr 2012, 7:42 pm
Post #118

Group Icon

Member No.: 3186

Right major brag time.

Today Leon showed just how far he has come in his journey; from a dog that would bark and lunge at people and dogs to one that walked calmly and quietly round Selby Game Fair, was happy to take treats off folks he had only just met, who actually went up to people to sniff them. He barked once when a dog play barked at him. He was fabulous and it was just like walking round with a 'normal dog' Ok so I didn't let anyone touch him, but he coped with being surrounded by a group of my friends that he doens't really know that well, and they were pretty close. was lovely to see him so relaxed, sitting when asked, jumping up for cuddles.

I was so happy, I very nearly cried.
+Quote Post
kats n greys
post 8th Apr 2012, 8:28 pm
Post #119

Group Icon

Member No.: 948

Lovely to hear about everybodies successes. smile.gif

Just wanted to mention one we had today - Kodi was off lead (enclosed area) and his recall was really good although he's not yet 6mths old Pharaoh hounds are not known for their recall - not brave enough to test him elsewhere yet- also the dog park was quite busy, but he still came back wub.gif

Another small thing - Lloyd who finds children frightening and he would hide if any came close - actually took a treat from a small girl - who approached him slowly and gently offered him a treat which he gently took. wub.gif
+Quote Post
jackied
post 9th Apr 2012, 11:40 am
Post #120

Group Icon

Wow, lots of great news while I've been away smile.gif

--------------------