Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dp Find It Help Needed, for swimmers pup
mattsdogs
post 29th Dec 2011, 7:00 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 35352

I have with me a 12 week old ambull pup who's disabled (swimmers pup), i'm trying to find some leg supports for her which can grow with her for a bit, they need to support the front legs, under the elbow joint down to the foot- this bit she has learned to twist to stabilise herself when she learned to walk. i also need to find some form of hip support to for her as her hips twist the wrong way (they will face outwards) vet says she will need physio to help correct it but doesn't know where i can source some support for her from,
I can't do pics from my phone to on here, but if any DP friends are on my facebook and would like to copy one across i'd be grateful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mum24dog
post 29th Dec 2011, 7:15 pm
Post #2

Group: Member.
Member No.: 9849

Many Tears had a couple of swimmers pups a while ago. Maybe they can help with advice?
+Quote Post
Goldiemad
post 29th Dec 2011, 7:32 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 37232

If she is a swimmer it is important to try and get the weight off her chest or internal damage to the organs will occur. The longer the puppy lies and flattens the chest cavity, the flatter it becomes. Cotton wool can be used under the chest to form a cushion, and this can be held in place by cutting holes into the foot part of ladies tights. The puppy should be encouraged to lie on it's side. We sat with her on our knee as much as possible and forced her to lie on her side.

Hobbling the legs together to stop them splaying out can also help. The physio we did was to lie her on her back and bicycle her legs.

Floor surface is also very important and swimmers often find it easier to stand on grass as there is more grip.

At first it is quite distressing but within a week our little swimmer could move around in a fashion. My friend had already decided she wasn't going anywhere because of the concern about any long term problems, although she was assured that she would be fine. By about 16 weeks she was moving around fine and showed no signs whatsoever. However at the age of 14 months she had her hips and elbows xrayed and the vets couldn't believe it as she virtually has no shoulder/elbow joints whatsoever. She is now 3 and half and still races around like a nutter, but we are aware that she may have real problems at a later date. Knowing about her shoulders and elbows

I searched the internet and there is a lot of information out there, but this is the best site I found. http://www.swimmerpuppy.com

Forgot to add that we also swam her daily in the bath, just supporting her under her tum and moving her slowly through the water. It was incredible how her little legs started to move as the water rose up. Good luck.

This post has been edited by Goldiemad: 29th Dec 2011, 7:36 pm
+Quote Post
mattsdogs
post 29th Dec 2011, 7:36 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

shes able to run around- she chases the other dogs round like a nutter, so her chest is not as flat as it was, she's starting her hydro next week and will be having physio on her hips, what i'm after is some support for her legs when she's out and about running round as the tireder she gets the more they seem to twist x
+Quote Post
Millie-mop
post 29th Dec 2011, 7:39 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 41255

Just didn't want to read and run. Good luck little pup xx
+Quote Post
griff
post 29th Dec 2011, 7:56 pm
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No.: 12698

this place do splints.... they are in america but if your vet is half decent they can make you one
it is this type of thing

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.php/h...eg-splints.html
it is the front leg splint, if you can print the picture and show your vet then you can get the supplies from here (but your vet will need to buy it on your behalf)
http://www.veterinary-instrumentation.co.uk/home.php?cat=436
or would a gutter splint help??
http://www.veterinary-instrumentation.co.uk/home.php?cat=437
probably not much use but i have been looking for a rear hock one for my dog..... best of luck to your pup smile.gif

This post has been edited by griff: 29th Dec 2011, 7:56 pm
+Quote Post
Goldiemad
post 29th Dec 2011, 7:58 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

If she is able to run around, I would think she will strengthen gradually. My worry with the type of support I think you are talking about, is that they would give too much support, and hinder the muscular development.

Poppy tired quickly, but we used to carefully supervise just how much she did to ensure she didn't overly stress her little body. After an enforced rest, she would be back up there trying her best to keep up with the litters' antics. I am pretty sure that you will see a really significant improvement once she starts hydro.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 29th Dec 2011, 8:10 pm
Post #8

Member No.: 10491

this company sell splints for swimmer pups.

http://www.dogleggs.com/
+Quote Post
mattsdogs
post 29th Dec 2011, 10:28 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Goldiemad, she needs the support for them to strengthen straight, at teh moment they twist- more and more when she's tired sad.gif and they are opnly to use when she's out running around, not for when she's getting rest, it's hard to explain sad.gif but she definately needs a bit of support on the bottom of her front legs, or they will not straighten and it will mean more ops as she grows sad.gif

Dalsmum the carpal support ones look like what we're after for her, thankyou smile.gif x
+Quote Post
Goldiemad
post 29th Dec 2011, 11:09 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

It's hard trying to describe something over the internet isn't it. smile.gif Glad you have found something that looks like it will do the job.

I wish you all the luck in getting this little one right. Poppy turned out to be such a sweety and to see her you would never know she had deformed joints. When I asked if all swimmers had the same problem, the vet couldn't say as he had never had the opportunity to do xrays on an adult swimmer.

I have a real soft spot for her and can remember talking to this little 4 week old pup that I had lying on her back on my knees whilst cycling her legs. I used to tell her to fight on as I was struggling to persuade my friend to keep going and she kept saying we will give her another few days and if there is no improvement it's kinder to let her go. I don't see her as often now, but when I do she is such a cuddle monster.

Keep us posted on her progress.
+Quote Post
Goldiemad
post 29th Dec 2011, 11:09 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

It's hard trying to describe something over the internet isn't it. smile.gif Glad you have found something that looks like it will do the job.

I wish you all the luck in getting this little one right. Poppy turned out to be such a sweety and to see her you would never know she had deformed joints. When I asked if all swimmers had the same problem, the vet couldn't say as he had never had the opportunity to do xrays on an adult swimmer.

I have a real soft spot for her and can remember talking to this little 4 week old pup that I had lying on her back on my knees whilst cycling her legs. I used to tell her to fight on as I was struggling to persuade my friend to keep going and she kept saying we will give her another few days and if there is no improvement it's kinder to let her go. I don't see her as often now, but when I do she is such a cuddle monster.

Keep us posted on her progress.
+Quote Post
agilitylace
post 30th Dec 2011, 12:09 am
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 37737

Photos for you x

+Quote Post
griff
post 30th Dec 2011, 10:46 am
Post #13

Member No.: 12698

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif omg i love her wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 30th Dec 2011, 11:23 am
Post #14

Member No.: 5985

Sorry dont know about leg supports but you may rubber matting in the house helpful. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Goldiemad
post 30th Dec 2011, 6:10 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Oh bless her, I don't think she looks too bad. At her age, Poppy was definitely worse than that and her legs gradually straightened and came under her as everything strengthened. There is no way Poppy would have been able to stand up on a tiled floor, so hopefully your little one will come right. As

What does your vet say about using supports? Since Poppy I have known a few other swimmers, but no one has used supports so it will be interesting to see how you go on.

Give her a hug from me, these little swimmers seem such sparky little characters, you have to admire their spirit. x
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 9:48 am