IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Often Do You Bath Your Dog, With shampoo and stuff, not just a quick hose down.
Rianna
post 16th Jan 2012, 9:31 am
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 2309

Heather gets bathed as and when she needs it as she is teeny and also favours the fox poo tongue.gif so I would say once a month at least.

Scamp and Summer get a summer bath in the garden once a year smile.gif wub.gif

Both Scamp and Summer love to swim so they do that when it is warmer and we are near the river but Heather refuses to even dip a paw in rolleyes.gif lol.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
poppydoodle
post 18th Jan 2012, 1:14 pm
Post #17

Group: Member
Member No.: 42240

Poppy has a taste for rolling in anything remotely nasty so tends to be bathed quite often rolleyes.gif In the summer we had almost a week of daily baths mad.gif lol.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
bunt
post 19th Jan 2012, 10:43 am
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 32050

Honey has never had a bath since she's been with us and that's over 4 years ohmy.gif but she is short haired so mud doesn't cling..do need to get the wet wipes out if she's rolled in anything. Ruby has a bath when she is clipped evry 10 weks or so and an occasional hose-down as she is a very naughty spaniel chops who loves to wallow in mud rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
nicola31
post 3rd Feb 2012, 3:51 pm
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 31423

Our first rescue had a "spring" bath as the weather was getting warmer and a "autumn" bath just before it got too cold and a towel dry and then a race downstairs trying to make sure he didn't rub himself along the walls and outside to dry off in the garden.

Our second rescue had skin problems so had to have a shampoo every couple of weeks for a while and then went to the routine above (including the race downstairs trying to make sure he didn't rub himself along the walls lol.gif ).

Billy does not like clean water, has had two hose downs under protest in 5 months, both times due to him finding a nice muddy tractor tyre track and lying down in it.

Generally it is just a towel down of his legs and belly (again under protest), but thankfully he is not smelly.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 5th Feb 2012, 7:58 pm
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I only do it if it's absolutely necessary because they've rolled in something extra-disgusting - like the half-dried carp that was still squishy inside that Paige rolled in ohno.gif Or the dreaded human poo ohno.gif

That fish was awful, I couldn't go near her as the smell was so bad so that definitely warranted a bath - tried just washing the area but it was so manky I had to shampoo her 3 or 4 times to deal with it, after scrubbing it with a flannel blink.gif

I will pop some of them in the bath to do anal glands - easier to keep them under control there and it means I can shampoo their bums afterwards but that's all I do.
+Quote Post
Pusscat2
post 14th Feb 2012, 5:55 pm
Post #21

Member No.: 52464

Once at Christmas to smell nice for Santa and about halfway through the year. That was for Poppy my bridge dog but Harry will be the same he swims most days though where as Poppy wasn't over keen. I don't like stinky dogs either and their beds go into my machine every week.
+Quote Post
beausmum
post 15th Feb 2012, 10:12 am
Post #22

Group Icon

Member No.: 26421

I've never bathed any of my dogs - they swim regularly in the river and in lakes and never seem to smell. If they roll in something horrid, we get them into the river for a swim. (I'd probably lose an arm if I tried to bath Flash and, on the one occasion we thought about it with Beau he hid under the desk in the spare bedroom and refused to come out!)
+Quote Post
LittleMonster
post 18th Feb 2012, 1:42 pm
Post #23

Member No.: 42915

Asher has had 1 shampoo-ish bath since we got him (3 years ago!) and once part shampoo (fox poo.) - but his coat is getting to where I think he needs a proper bath, and before summer.

I think I'll be taking him in our disabled-friendly walk in shower (big enough for us both) as he has arthritis and I don't want him to get stiff if it's done outside!
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 20th Feb 2012, 9:01 am
Post #24

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

I bath Will about once every couple of months - as a staffie he has short hair and doesn't need it unless he rolls in something disgusting. Nerys the cocker is very hairy and her fur seems to hold on to dirt and smells, so she is done more often - probably about once a month smile.gif Neither of them mind being bathed, I think they quite enjoy it smile.gif
+Quote Post
Bellassz1
post 20th Feb 2012, 1:33 pm
Post #25

Group Icon

Member No.: 34112

QUOTE(Muddikins @ 15th Dec 2011, 6:01 pm) *

Jack is not a fan of baths so they are reserved for when he has rolled in something unspeakable like rancid fish heads or rotting liquified mole, other than that he has teflon fur so he is usually only a bit foxy rolleyes.gif

Your descriptions of Jack always make me laugh - him and Benny sound so similiar lol.gif

Benny is also teflon-dog, he's always clean and dry by the time he gets out of the car at home. I think he's only had about 3 or 4 baths - he's 4 and a half years old.

Millie needs baths more often as when it's muddy it just sticks to her rolleyes.gif the fur along her back is fine, but her fluffy underbits are like mud-velcro. I tend to just wipe her down with a damp cloth mostly which gets rid of the worst, but occasionally we have to bath her so she looks like someone owns her... lol.gif
+Quote Post
Purdy Bear
post 27th Feb 2012, 12:53 pm
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 23167

I havent given Connor a bath in 4 years, but I do bits of him. If his rolled in something, the last time he had his coat on so only needed his face washed. I wash his paws every day after a walk to get rid of the road salt. Lastly I wipe him down with a very wet cloth in the summer to cool him down after the hot walk.

I am tempted to try him out on a bath, or a shower this coming year if its very hot, but he hates walking through puddles and runs when the hose is out, so I suspect I will get more wet then he does.
+Quote Post
emmak
post 3rd Mar 2012, 4:50 pm
Post #27

Group Icon

Member No.: 32431

Sydney had smelly, greasy fur so he had to be bathed quite often - up to once a week at his worst err.gif

Heidi and Izzy don't tend to be smelly but are long coated which is not self-cleaning so they get done once every couple of months. They both hate it and I end up drenched rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
natbest
post 18th Oct 2013, 11:28 pm
Post #28

Group Icon

Member No.: 49122

Groomers every 8 weeks do it and they prob get done by me in middle, so monthly probably
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 19th Oct 2013, 6:53 am
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

I never bath my dogs, depending on if they are moult or not depends how often I use a slicker to bring out the dead hair. I then brush them then wipe them over with a baby wipe.

Grooming massages the skin and helps keep it supple and healthy, It is the dead hair that smells by taking it out you greatly reduce this. Bathing a dog takes away the waterproofing so a dog can get very cold until it is back which can take several days.

--------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 6:42 pm