Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anybody Experience Of Bull Lurcher?
skysky69
post 31st Mar 2011, 4:15 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 17207

Just wondered whether anyone had any experience or owned a bull lurcher, lurchers are a bit of a grey area anyway and when I googled to find out a bit more about the temperament of lurcher that was a bit of bull, nowhere really came up with anything helpful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Devil
post 31st Mar 2011, 7:59 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 44888

We have quite a few around here. Usually bred for woking - speed of a lurcher and 'gameness' of a bull terrier. Most are good natured with people, terrible with cats/furries (from a pet point of veiw), most are used to living with other dogs but a few of the males can be dog/dog aggressive. Dont think a lot of that is breed traits as such more the breeding/training that these have had (and the fact that most are not neutered).

We've had a couple through resue for rehoming - all have gone on to be good family pets, picked up house training quickly and generally biddable (though 1 was a bit ropey off lead). The most comon 'complaint' we've had when rehoming has been 'counter surfing' but fnd this is common to alot of dogs who have lived out rather than bull-lurchers in particular.

HTH

--------------------
www.animalconcernwest.co.uk

animalconcernwest@hotmail.co.uk

DOGS: 07712330829

CATS: 07712330834

+Quote Post
jane002
post 31st Mar 2011, 10:07 pm
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 8086

Bull lurchers are bred for taking anything that bites back, they can be head strong at times
and need a firm hand, most if you give them an inch they will take a mile,

With other dogs they can be a little ott at times and sometimes playing chase or ruff and tumble
can get them going, but they can live with other dogs quite happily - they can live with cats and other small furrys, if introduced correctly, no different to any other lurcher, but outside of their own house/garden they will chase,

one thing with bull lurchers is - they love their family and love to be with them.

the working lurcher has some info on bull lurchers, it is a book about working lurchers
but theres lots of info in it and can be a good resource.
+Quote Post
laura1122
post 31st Mar 2011, 10:14 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 45096

A man has one that i walk with in the mornings. she lovely great with my dog and ppl. loves playing with other dogs.

not gd wiv live stock she kill a sheep ( she got caught for it spent a 18 months in a resuce place b4 she got home again) The man did stay she has kill a rabbit aswell so he has to kept her on a lead around other animals.

She is lovely fast aswell and quite bulky , Lovely dog i didnt even know she was a bull lurcher untill he said what she was.
+Quote Post
staffymad
post 1st Apr 2011, 8:42 am
Post #5

Member No.: 11452

I fostered one a few months back. Very lovely dog friendly slightly bouncy (was only around 12 months old) loon wub.gif He slotted in straight away with the resident staffy cross girl, was 100% off lead on recall, very clever BUT not cat friendly and on walks he would try to fetch/catch birds/ducks/rabbits etc.

+Quote Post
ceri1
post 1st Apr 2011, 11:07 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

Rosie's a whippet staffy: behaves like a delicate soul if it's cold or you treat on her paw, barks madly at sticks and can run a marathon lol.gif
Used to kill rabbits in younger days but could be called back from the chase if you were quick, Scared of sheep.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
moorx
post 1st Apr 2011, 6:45 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

I have a bull lurcher, Joe. I adopted him about 15 months ago aged about 12. As you can see from his photos, he was obviously used for working. The scars on his face and legs suggest he might have had a run-in or two with a badger err.gif

He was found straying on Bonfire Night, very thin and in very poor condition. In the past year, he has put on weight and a lot of muscle. He is a very solid dog! lol.gif

He was great with my three other dogs right from the start, no aggression whatsoever, very respectful of them. He is a complete softy with people, loves everyone and wants them to love him. Basically a gentle giant wub.gif

I love staffys and I love sighthounds, so he is probably my ideal combination of breeds. He has the gentleness of a greyhound and the clownishness of a staffy. I would definitely have another bull lurcher.

+Quote Post
cody
post 1st Apr 2011, 8:29 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 4369

I have a lurcher with some bully in him I am told unsure.gif

Not exactly sure of his exact cross but saw his mum in kennels and she was a smallish greyhound girl who was very gentle, Vinnie my lurcher is defo not gentle lol.gif lol.gif he is a hundred mile an hour in everything he does, a bit ott with my other dogs at times, for example when in the garden he will chase & barge them & no matter how many times he is told off by them continues (persistent little s**) but he knows when he has pushed his luck too far e.g. he wont go near Jess my collie x girl when she is asleep unsure.gif

He is dog friendly but is OTT with most dogs and does play very rough, I would not trust him off lead with small dogs as he would chase & barge them unsure.gif

I was told (by someone who owned & worked lurchers) that he would have made a fantastic working dog. When he gets it 'right' e.g. he will be in full chase & will turn on the call and come back smile.gif BUT I would never trust him to do it even 50% of the time err.gif

He is the biggest thief I have ever known unsure.gif

He does NOT take treats gently (work in progress)

He is one of the most loving & loyal dogs I have owned smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 11:53 am