IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If You Are Considering Volunteering For Hope Rescue..., ...you may wish to reconsider!
FoxyGirl
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:13 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 10106

Copy and pasted by Susie (susiejoy), one of our much valued volunteers unsure.gif wink.gif
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put the kettle on and draw up your chairs.... I have to tell you about my day yesterday. I'm still in shock..... ohmy.gif

So, Ness rang me - about a week ago? and asked if I was going to be free on Thursday because Channel 4 wanted to film Hope's work as part of a documentary. Ness was going to be working, and could I cover it? No problem Ness! I's your girl!

Had a phone call from Gemma at Channel 4 Wednesday night, confirming times, places etc. I had 7 dogs to pick up from the pound, and we were to meet at Claire's Coed Ely at 1.30pm Thursday. Gemma said that I was going to meet Terry, he has recently moved to the area and wanted to undertake some volunteer work, so could I explain what Hope did etc, how it works, how he could help..... smile.gif thinks...Voluntary worker? New to the area? How he could help? I've seen Secret Millionaire! No flies on Susiejoy, our ship has come in! Keep calm on phone, breathe Susiejoy, breathe!

Spent half the night in front of mirror, 'Oh Terry, the stray dog problem (statistic, statistic, statistic).... Things I must get in....

Microchipping
Speying/neutering
Strays UK figures
PTS UK figures
Hope figures
Hope strategic approach
Fundraising
Fundraising
Flirting ? (depends what he's like)
Tears? (tried and tried in front of mirror, couldn't do it)
Fundraising
Sighing

I even practiced the 'reveal'. Tears, I decided would be genuine, and sometimes less is more, so glassy eyed drippy smile? It looked OK in the mirror!

Picked up the van, filled it up with dogs, driving to Claire's thinking I really really should phone Ness and tell her of my suspicions. OK, she was working but hey - this could be MASSIVE! What if I was wrong? No, not wrong, but what a fantastic surprise it will be for everyone. I can handle this...

Met the film crew at Claire's- they were simply lovely! Told me Terry was a little eccentric, would be in disguise, and I reassured them that it would be fine......

Camera one! Action! Susie walking up to meet Terry - tall, fake beard :smile.gif (hey, rich man, if you like it, I like it)! wink.gif Shake hands, jabber (cos maybe a little nervous) Wondering who might be under the beard.... famous actor? sportsman? def not Richard Branson, praying that I would recognise him in the final moments......

Start as you mean to go on susiejoy..... Let me tell you about Hope Rescue Terry! Tried desperately to keep him 'on track' ..... he kept misinterpreting, diverting, some seriously off message stuff! Thinking go with it... it'll be fine. Get him back on subject - did he own a dog? Used to have a little KC Cav called Mozart. 'Oh Terry, you lost him?' 'Many many times, he used to run off and do jiggy jiggy (Terry doing jiggy jiggy.... Image
... thinking, OK, talk about microchipping, and neutering when Mozart went off, what if he impregnates a dog, what would happen to the pups...? 'Ahh, sell 'em innit! Fifty quid each'!

Don't know why I didn't stop..... kept thinking what on earth will Ness and the others think.... but still thinking I could recover....
Went from bad to worse, asked him if he knew about neutering male dogs, asked me if it was the same as circumcision ohmy.gif There was lots of 'effing' ohmy.gif Thinks, OMG the team ain't going to like this.....

Camera 2 Action - Terry wanted to bathe a dog - brought out little poorly shoulder terrier (who was a pro btw) - took him to the grooming parlour, Terry put on a pair of marigolds and asked if he could wash his 'bits' ..... by now, my mind was racing, getting frantic, couldn't stop, didn't know how to go on.... I just kept remember Ness saying 'Susie, I know you'll do a great job, I know you'll be totally professional....' Focus focus focus, but actually, I couldn't -I felt like I was batting off a thousand demons with a bent straw. I asked Terry to give the little guy, who had no home, no history, nobody and nothing, a name, to mark the first step of his journey to a new life. He called him mr Tibbs, and actually, it really suited him! At the very end of the filming, he asked me if he could spend two minutes alone with Mr Tibbs. Things were racing through my mind, and I felt very uncomfortable, looked at the camera (still rolling) - picked up the rubber gloves (don't ask me why unsure.gif ) promised Mr Tibbs I would be just outside and left them.

Gemma was outside the room and I told her I didn't think this was going to work for Hope, that Ness was going to be very upset, that it really hadn't gone to plan....

Ness, want to tell anyone why my legs gave way at this point?

This post has been edited by FoxyGirl: 21st Feb 2010, 9:17 pm

--------------------
Hope Rescue
www.hoperescue.org.uk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fi
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:16 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 30283

I am intrigued.....

What happened next unsure.gif
+Quote Post
dee dee
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:20 pm
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 21747

me too x
+Quote Post
afc
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:20 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 40895

unsure.gif do they still do "this is your life" ?? would have suggested Jeremy Beadle, but alas........ no more.

This post has been edited by afc: 21st Feb 2010, 9:22 pm
+Quote Post
Jo Green
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:23 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 4100

QUOTE(afc @ 21st Feb 2010, 9:20 pm) *

unsure.gif do they still do "this is your life" ?? would have suggested Jeremy Beadle, but alas........ no more.

You're kind of on the right track lol.gif lol.gif
+Quote Post
_amanda_
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:23 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 38110

QUOTE(afc @ 21st Feb 2010, 9:20 pm) *

would have suggested Jeremy Beadle, but alas........ no more.

thats what I was thinking yikes.gif
+Quote Post
coinsky
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:24 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 14818

unsure.gif

I want to know toooooo!

--------------------
http://www.pawtracks.co.uk/

For dog walking and pet sitting in Scottish Borders and Midlothian area.
+Quote Post
FoxyGirl
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:27 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 10106

I may have Fonejacked Susie in 3D unsure.gif

Terry is actually Terry Tibbs from the BAFTA winning comedy on Channel 4 ohmy.gif

Fonejacker 3D 2010

I was contacted directly by Channel 4 a couple of weeks ago asking if I had any volunteers who were game for a laugh. In return they would make a donation and highlight the work we did. I knew Susie would do us proud so agreed! I was in work that day and did feel really bad knowing what was happening - but the end justified the means! Hopefully Terry's numpty questions/behaviour gave Susie enough ammunition to get the message across and we will reach a completely different audience smile.gif

I would like to say a massive thank you to Susie, and also to Clare at Coedly Animal Hotel for letting us film, I know it took the whole of the afternoon! angel.gif

--------------------
Hope Rescue
www.hoperescue.org.uk
+Quote Post
_amanda_
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:30 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 38110

Ooo I loved Fonejacker yippee.gif I did wonder at the Mr Tibbs thing and had the 'Mr Tibbs' voice in my head lol.gif
+Quote Post
glenyskent
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:32 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 27157

well!?????

ETA: ah just seen lol.gif

you are mean!

+Quote Post
Fi
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:34 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 30283

Fantastic lol.gif and Susie sounds like a fabulous person to pull it on smile.gif She's certainly got an amazing sense of humour lol.gif
+Quote Post
dee dee
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:34 pm
Post #12

Member No.: 21747

lol.gif
+Quote Post
SamD
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:38 pm
Post #13

Member No.: 15045

Brilliant!
+Quote Post
Smudgesmummy
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:39 pm
Post #14

Member No.: 42370

Good job it wasnt me I would have probably belted him one when he started on about dogs bits and wanting to be on his own with the dog lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Smudgesmummy xxx
+Quote Post
Trailhoundann
post 21st Feb 2010, 9:52 pm
Post #15

Member No.: 10241

I do hope you get a massive donation because it all sounds awful to me. Have to admit I have never even heard of the programme but used to hate all the Jeremy Beadle type stuff. Probably good we don't all have the same sense of humour though.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2017 - 11:46 pm