IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help! Petra Attacked A Hedgehog In The Garden, What do I do with it?
amber
post 9th Sep 2009, 11:50 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 1944

Ugh, was just about to go off to bed, let the dogs out for their last wee and thought Petra was being a long while, so went to look and she was chewing something on the grass. Grabbed my shoes and went out and she had a hedgehog. Manhandled her into the house (she didn't have her collar on) and got her inside, she had some blood on her mouth.

Went to see about the hedgie, but it's too dark to see much and I haven't a torch. It's all curled up in its ball and not moving. I don't know if its dead or not? Or in shock? I thought of moving it out of the garden and putting it elsewhere, in case it's still alive but goes into hiding in the garden (it's a large garden) and Petra has another go at it, but then, if its dead or needs a vet, I don't want to dump it somewhere.

Should I call the SSPCA tomorrow, if it seems not to be dead? What to do if it moves off, but is still lurking about?

I really can't believe she was chewing all those needles, looked like some of the needles had been half-pulled out of its coat.

Does Petra need anything? Her lips or gums or whatever seem to have stopped bleeding.

I guess I'll have to leave it till the morning now err.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
janey1
post 10th Sep 2009, 12:07 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 17503

Same thing happened here a few months ago. Maddy's mouth was bleeding and she had kicked this poor hedgehog all over the back garden.
I moved he hedgehog from the back garden to the front. I saw he was still breathing, by morning he had gone. There are tough creatures - I am sure it will be fine.
+Quote Post
dorothy
post 10th Sep 2009, 12:10 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 2411

If he's still around then please put him in a cardboard box overnight and get him to a vet who deals with wildlife.He can die of infection if he's been bitten or get flystrike.
+Quote Post
amber
post 10th Sep 2009, 12:12 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1944

I went to have another look and it's gone now, so not dead at least! I only hope it doesn't go off somewhere and die or the bites get infected. I wish I had moved it now, when I had the chance. I think maybe the only thing to do is take Petra out to the garden on a lead and muzzle tomorrow and try to locate it (she will be looking for it!), then have a proper look at the injuries and move it elsewhere, or call the vet for advice.

I think the same one that has been around for several weeks, it was in my front garden at one stage, then saw it on the pavement and the dogs went crazy, a kindly passing dog walker moved it for me into next door's garden, but it must have got through somehow.

This post has been edited by amber: 10th Sep 2009, 12:13 am
+Quote Post
pendragons
post 10th Sep 2009, 12:14 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 20361

I'm not an expert but until you get better advice or can consult anyone else, I would catch the hedgepig and pout it in a cat carrier or small cage and leave it quiet in a dark shed or outbuilding til morning. The box must be escape-proof as they do climb. Shredded paper will do for bedding.

Provide water, and some food - they like canned cat food/dog food the best.

The blood may have been from the spines pricking your dog's mouth, but what you don't want is an injured hedgehog wandering off.... Would be best to get it a check over if you can tomorrow.

Useful link:
http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S..._M_Hedgehog.htm

Edit: Oops... too late then.... Fingers crossed it will be ok. They can climb high walls & fences so that's maybe how it got in.

This post has been edited by pendragons: 10th Sep 2009, 12:16 am
+Quote Post
qwerty
post 13th Sep 2009, 11:28 pm
Post #6

Group: Member.
Member No.: 7535

I take it you didn't find it? No doubt it died a slow and painful death.

Next time your dog attacks an animal you should contain it immediately and get help right away, are the SSPCA not 24 hour?

+Quote Post
qwerty
post 13th Sep 2009, 11:30 pm
Post #7

Group: Member.
Member No.: 7535

QUOTE(janey1 @ 10th Sep 2009, 1:07 am) *

Same thing happened here a few months ago. Maddy's mouth was bleeding and she had kicked this poor hedgehog all over the back garden.
I moved he hedgehog from the back garden to the front. I saw he was still breathing, by morning he had gone. There are tough creatures - I am sure it will be fine.

Please don't assume they are ok cos they are still breathing. Leaving it to die in agony is really not fair, especially as it was your animal that caused the damage.
+Quote Post
Su_lisia
post 14th Sep 2009, 7:50 pm
Post #8

Group: Member
Member No.: 45074

Dogs don't normally manage to actually harm hedgehogs, it takes a lot to uncurl them and the only place to get to them is the underbelly. The hedgehog is far more likely to injure the dog's mouth.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017 - 2:28 am