IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gastric Reflux, Any ideas on remedies??
bullybeef
post 17th Nov 2008, 9:03 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 14843

Bruno seems to be suffering from some kind of gastric reflux. It happens first thing in the morning as he wakes up and before he eats, he coughs and is sick (not always) and its mainly bile. I've tried feeding him smaller portions and more often, which helps but he's still been sick again today and is off his food although he has eaten egg and rice tonight as I thought it would be lighter.

Any suggestions? Other than this, he is his normal self!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
T-DOG
post 17th Nov 2008, 9:07 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 14414

My old girl used to suffer from this, I made sure she had supper before going to bed. It only ever happened to her when her stomach was empty. I also tried to feed her something which took longer to digest than dried dog food so she didn't feel empty and the acid didn't build up.
+Quote Post
bullybeef
post 18th Nov 2008, 7:39 am
Post #3

any suggestions on what food to give him for supper to settle the acid? Dont suppose we can give dogs "human" medicine like Gaviscon?
+Quote Post
Lindsay
post 18th Nov 2008, 7:45 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 2829

This happens to my dog too. If she eats a slightly smaller amount of food during the day, or isnt fed by about 7am in the morning, she too throws up bile. So I never ever get even a small lie-in lol.gif wub.gif

I give my girl:

Small breakfast of a few tbsp. of food at about 6.45am

Luckily am home to give her kibble breakfast at around 10.30=11am.

Snack at around 3.30pm of tripe sticks/fishy treats etc.

Evening meal at 6.45pm

That is OK for her but all dogs will be a bit different, and some will definitely want feeding late evening...smile.gif
+Quote Post
doggyvonne
post 18th Nov 2008, 9:18 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 16608

sodium bicarbonate powder 1.29 Lloyds chemist is what I take ..can dogs have this?

This post has been edited by doggyvonne: 18th Nov 2008, 9:19 am
+Quote Post
GSDSian
post 18th Nov 2008, 9:35 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 18077

Rhomi does this when her gut is bad. I give her an extra meal as late as possible - sometimes as late as 1am.

But if Bruno is off his food it may be he has a bit of a bug and if you're worried I would pop him to the vet. I often give Rhomi half a zantac (on vet's advice) when her gut isn't good but I wouldn't try that without checking with your vet first.
+Quote Post
crazydiamond
post 18th Nov 2008, 10:02 am
Post #7

Member No.: 16627

QUOTE(bullybeef @ 18th Nov 2008, 7:39 am) *

any suggestions on what food to give him for supper to settle the acid? Dont suppose we can give dogs "human" medicine like Gaviscon?

I have given my dogs Gaviscon before, plenty of Dane folk do and there is a small bottle in the house just for them. I keep it here as I have the [color=#333399]Danes and bloat can be a big worry. As they are so big they just get the human dose when needed.
+Quote Post
Nene
post 18th Nov 2008, 10:19 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 7202

I think I read about something similar last week and a slice of brown bread before bed was recommended to stop it.

They make baby gaviscon if you have a smaller breed and the vet is ok with it.
+Quote Post
bullybeef
post 18th Nov 2008, 8:49 pm
Post #9

Thanks for your replies. Bruno is a big ol woofer - Dane x Ridgeback so yes, I always worry about bloat too. Think I'll get some gaviscon in just in case. Im just wondering how to persuade him it tastes lovely.....! lol.gif
+Quote Post
Ali Mc
post 18th Nov 2008, 10:24 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 12022

Holly, my staffie, has developed reflux but is now also being investigated for possible gastric ulcer. She started a few months ago by throwing up every now and again, mainly liquid or bile, but was otherwise well in herself but now, she has bouts where she is in obvious pain and although she wants to eat, she daren't because within minutes she is shivering and shaking and looking frantic sad.gif She gets really miserable with it. She is on 3mls of antepsin 2 - 3 timesa day which has a miraculous effect within minutes of taking it. I'm not sure what it is but it looks like some sort of canine equivalent of gaviscon unsure.gif
+Quote Post
Brammie
post 18th Nov 2008, 11:23 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 4989

Ash gets this when he gets over hungry or for some reason chicken wings causes it. I always find a bit of cottage cheese helps, sometimes he has to be force fed a spoonful and then hes fine and begs for more rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd September 2014 - 2:05 am