IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help Broken Dew Claw, can it wait until tomorrow or do i need emergency vet??
agilitylace
post 29th Jul 2008, 7:24 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 37737

Poor Alfie who is staying with me has broken his dew claw it is still attached and is now facing backwards yikes.gif pointing in towards his chest !!

It has stopped bleeding and he doesnt seem to be in pain - he's not fussing with it

is there anything i can do to help him - dont want to bandage it up incase it hurts him more - shall i take him to the vet tonight ??? or will it be fair to make him wait until tomorrow?

anyone had this problem?

ps, it must be a record for me - 2 topics in one day !!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 29th Jul 2008, 7:34 pm
Post #2

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

When that happened to my dally the vet just quickly pulled the nail off - it was only attached by a thread- and gave him some antibiotics.

She didn't cover it up. It healed over quickly and the nail eventually grew back in.
+Quote Post
Pet Buddies
post 29th Jul 2008, 7:40 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 34069

This has happened several times to my boy over the years. Each time it has happened he has settled down on his bed and chewed it off himself. I just keep a stiptic pen handy just in case it becomes a bleeder.

If your doggy doesn't sort it out himself, it should be ok to wait until tommorrow unless he is in obvious distress. Just try not to touch it yourself as it will be really sensitive, so I wouldn't put a bandage on it.

Hope he is OK.
+Quote Post
DooBlog
post 29th Jul 2008, 7:59 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 39810

This happened to my girl recently, the vet just pulled it off, didn't cover it, gave her an antibiotic injection and charged me 30 squids for the priviledge!! Don't let him lick it, he'll be OK for tonight and see how he is in the morning. He'll be fine. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Louisebt
post 29th Jul 2008, 8:06 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 14611

My old vet muzzled my dog and ripped the claw, no painkillers, no antibiotics etc mad.gif
+Quote Post
Appletonfosterhome
post 29th Jul 2008, 9:34 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 39805

The same thing happened to my dog last Friday night, it was hanging off. I took him to the vets Saturday morning, apparently the dew claw coming off is like having one of our nails ripped off, and this vet knows his stuff. He slightly sedated my dog, removed it and brought him round. I took him home straight away and within a couple of hours he was absolutely fine! rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
agilitylace
post 29th Jul 2008, 9:37 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 37737

Thanks everyone - he is sound o on my lap as i type and does not seem bothered by it

will pop him into the vets tomorrow and get it sorted - was in a bit of a panic as hes not mine and it looks so horrid sticking out the wrong way ! but in true terrier style he is more concerned about arguing who has the best spot on the sofa !!! lol.gif

great advice and really appreciated smile.gif
+Quote Post
dooley
post 30th Jul 2008, 9:47 am
Post #8

Member No.: 15704

my Jack Russell does it a lot, it takes two vet nurses and me to hold him for the vet to take it off! But he hates vets any way. It doesn't seem to hurt, and I have to say I only notice if he's fussing as his legs are quite hairy. 9 times out of ten he'll do it of a weekend or after the vets have shut and I'll go down the day the vets open and it's gone.

I was looking after a friends whippet and she ripped her dew claw, she was howling, shaking and rooted to the spot with her foot in the air. My two were stood looking like she was from another planet. Took her to the vets and there was a small split in the nail near the quick and that was it - not another mark on her the wuss. He said if it was one of my terriers they'd have gone "oh" and carried on. Which I totally believe.
+Quote Post
sweetie
post 30th Jul 2008, 3:08 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 17030

Tyson caught his and we went to the vets who bandaged his leg.. unsure.gif