2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Peggy Cocker Kidney Issues Advice
peggysmum
post 10th Feb 2018, 12:12 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 57991

Hello all quite a while since i posted have been about just not posted. My dear old peggy cocker spaniel is nearly 15 now and has had various health problems over the years which she has battled on with. About 2 years ago she was diagnosed with chronic renal insufficiency. She has ignored it in her normal fashion and just got on with being an old battleaxe. She has been taking enacard tablets and ipatakine powders to go with her forthyron, tramadol, spasmonol and corventol.
Just the last few months she has been having problems with nausea which has led to her not eating properly. xmas was very hard as she was eating very little. I eventually got her to eat tinned zd ultra. (she has been very hypersensitive and intolerant to most foods all her life). she was ok on that for about a week till i ordered a load and she then promptly refused to eat any more. I managed to get her back on her wainwrights white fish and veg biscuits with boiled white fish. But she has continued to have off days here and there, refusing to eat or eating very little. Sometimes she has diarrhea to. SHe gets a very gurgly belly with it and is bilious and sick too. this thursday i had a blood panel done, she had one before xmas and her urea is going up. slowly but it is going up. 14 before xmas 16.5 now. so slight but still. Creatanine too is going up. My usual vet is on holiday in nz for a month visiting family so had a locum, she didnt seem to know what to do. said the usual next step would be a renal diet but she can not tolerate anything but fish. Didnt seem to have any drug suggestions either. I will go back to see simon my vet when he is home. But i just wandered if anyone here might have suggestions. Or do i just have to except this is happening and i can not change it.
I lost 2 of my babies end of last year, Freda my 15 yr old ex pup farm cocker on 31st oct and 2 weeks to the day, 14th nov,my little darling boy Buddy of a sudden short illness. He was a month shy of 14. So the thought of losing her is just to much. I know at nearly 15 and considering all her health issues over her life she has done very well . I just want her to be comfortable for what ever we have left.
thanks Tracey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kimw
post 10th Feb 2018, 1:41 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 42138

hug.gif not able to offer any advise really but hoping Peggy manages to eat what she can. You can only really feed her what she will tolerate, little and often I guess.

Peggy is beautiful wub.gif
+Quote Post
cindere528
post 10th Feb 2018, 2:19 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 5946

No advice to offer, but I didn't want to just read & run. I only looked because the title said "Cocker"

I hope you can find something to help beautiful Peggy ��

This post has been edited by cindere528: 10th Feb 2018, 2:19 pm
+Quote Post
moorx
post 10th Feb 2018, 6:14 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

Would she be able to tolerate tinned Chappie - I know it is high in fish, but I think it also contains some meat?

Or tinned pilchards or tuna with maybe pasta, potatoes or wholemeal bread?

I've also given my older dogs hot oat cereal, made with goats milk, when they were off other foods.

Hope you can find something to suit her.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 10th Feb 2018, 6:33 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

I really can't help with advice either, but hope you can find something to help hug.gif

So sorry to hear about Freda and Buddy hug.gif Run free little ones wub.gif

Chris
+Quote Post
mongrel mad
post 10th Feb 2018, 6:55 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 6718

We changed from Burns dried food to their Penlan farm range - egg with vegetables and brown rice, together with their hypoallergenic mixer. No real reason, other than our terrier x collie was coming up to 13yrs and just thought another food may be more suitable for her kidneys. Rang Burns who specifically suggested the egg. Sounds really unappetizing, but OMG she goes absolutely bonkers for it!!

Burns were really quick at sending out samples for her to try too.

Good luck and hope you find something to suit for your gorgeous girl.

+Quote Post
peggysmum
post 10th Feb 2018, 8:49 pm
Post #7

thankyou all. will give burns a look. I have to be so careful with her as a lot sets her off.
losing fred and buddy so close was very hard. I was expecting freda as she had dementia and i let her go but buddy he broke my heart he was my soul mate and i miss him so much. peggy was his best friend and i wander if she misses him as much as i do. she has got closer to merlin my sheltie so thats something.
my babies.
+Quote Post
peggysmum
post 10th Feb 2018, 8:51 pm
Post #8

its been so long since i posted pictures on a forum i forgot just how very annoying photobucket is. goodness knows what its problem is now. not showing my pics. stupid website.
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 10th Feb 2018, 8:57 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

Just wanted to send you a hug hug.gif
+Quote Post
kimw
post 10th Feb 2018, 9:28 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(peggysmum @ 10th Feb 2018, 8:51 pm) *

its been so long since i posted pictures on a forum i forgot just how very annoying photobucket is. goodness knows what its problem is now. not showing my pics. stupid website.

It doesn't allow third party hosting, so pics on forums, unless you have an extraordinarily expensive paid account. You can use Flickr, I think that's what it's called, though smile.gif
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 10th Feb 2018, 9:49 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

QUOTE(kimw @ 10th Feb 2018, 9:28 pm) *

It doesn't allow third party hosting, so pics on forums, unless you have an extraordinarily expensive paid account. You can use Flickr, I think that's what it's called, though smile.gif

Tinypic is one some of us use now.

Chris
+Quote Post
kimw
post 10th Feb 2018, 10:18 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE(doggroomer @ 10th Feb 2018, 9:49 pm) *

Tinypic is one some of us use now.

Chris

Tinypic... that's the one!
+Quote Post
ebd
post 11th Feb 2018, 12:46 am
Post #13

Member No.: 9633

Sending lots of hug.gif to Peggy Cocker.

As you are searching for fish-only foods:

During one of Grabby's crises we tried an eliminaton diet - and so put him on Exclusion Hypoallergenic (canned), a single protein very simple food. One version is Fish and Potato. It's fish, potatoes, sunflower oil, aloe vera, rosemary extract, vitamins. That's it. The food has a mousse-like consistency, very light - which makes it easier for poorly dogs to eat.

I've googled around and couldn't find a UK supplier, but it's available from Zooplus Germany, and they will ship to the UK. You might even contact Zooplus UK and see if they can source it for you.

http://www.zooplus.de/shop/hunde/hundefutt...ion_diet/379234

Exclusion also makes a Fish and Potato dry, which seems to be available, Amazon UK is one source.

---
Exclusion has a non-veterinary product line, Mediteraneo, which also has a fish only and a trout only food - but these contain rice and corn, so perhaps not good for Peggy. This line are avaialbe on Amazon UK. I've not tried these, so no personal experience.

---

Alternatively, have you tried cat foods? Several of these are single protein fish. As we were struggling with Grabby I would give him cat food now and again.

---

You could also do a fish and potato mix yourself - whitefish (baked or poached) with boiled potatoes, puree together. Add a bit of vitamin paste.

I do hope you find something to tempt Miss Peggy - and please give her another hug.gif from me.

All fingers and paws crossed for her.

This post has been edited by ebd: 11th Feb 2018, 12:48 am
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 11th Feb 2018, 9:33 am
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

When my little cat went into acute kidney failure, the vet said it was the increase in creatinine that was flooring her appetite. At the time, all we could do was flush her kidneys with a drip to lower the levels, which brought her appetite back. That was done twice, the second time it lasted for a weekend. She was let go after that but hers was a severe case so it all went very quickly.

I don't know if there are any meds for that these days - this was 11 years ago now. But knowing about dialysis etc I would guess probably not, but derfinitely ask your usual vet about that as it's not something I've dealt with since then. When everything is advancing though it is a case of tempting her to eat whatever she can eat that she can also tolerate. I'd be inclined to go home prepared as it will be that bit more tempting with fresh, warm food that with tinned or dry and you could vary the fish to give better nutrition. Sweet potato too maybe instead of white some days for the same reason, and any boiled, pureed veg she can cope with.
+Quote Post
peggysmum
post 11th Feb 2018, 3:17 pm
Post #15

thanks guys for all that. will look up exclusion sounds good. she seems ok today and has eaten all right. thats how she goes can be fine for a week and then 3 days of not happy. poor old peg she has been through so much in her life what with her mysterious snotty nose problem and her food problems.
anyway have joined tinypic will see if it works thankyou.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2018 - 5:09 am