Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 27th Jan 2018, 3:45 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 2147

How old are they? I can't remember how long ago the docking ban came in.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 27th Jan 2018, 4:40 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

It's a long time since the ban was introduced, though working dogs can still be docked. Unsure what work Dobermans would be doing though rolleyes.gif Debarking was banned at the same time, and it didn't stop the breeding kennels my bridge lab Penny came from having her debarked though mad.gif

Chris

+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 27th Jan 2018, 4:40 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

April 2007 in England, March 2014 in Ireland. Not too likely to get an illegally docked dog from here now with their low lifespans but still possible from Ireland. Or from abroad, as docking is still legal in some countries.

Also possible they were docked illegally, of course.

ETA: dobes are not on the exemption list for docking in the UK. Not sure about Ireland but I find it unlikely as they are not often used as working dogs.

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 27th Jan 2018, 4:42 pm
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 27th Jan 2018, 4:51 pm
Post #5

Group: Member
Member No.: 5985

Two, 2 y o Dobes. bitches given up by a breeder to M T now up for rehoming.
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 27th Jan 2018, 6:40 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 202

Why donít you ask them?
+Quote Post
moorx
post 27th Jan 2018, 8:00 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

QUOTE(Elainew @ 27th Jan 2018, 6:40 pm) *

Why donít you ask them?

Or the breeder - it was probably them that did it.
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 28th Jan 2018, 11:09 am
Post #8

Group: Member
Member No.: 5985

I did try to send M T an email yesterday but for some reason it didnt work and as for the breeder where would I find that information? err.gif

There is one near me with cropped ears and docked tail and as soon as I get the opportunity, I will ask him where he got it.
+Quote Post
moorx
post 28th Jan 2018, 11:40 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

QUOTE(Penninepoodlewelfare @ 28th Jan 2018, 11:09 am) *

I did try to send M T an email yesterday but for some reason it didnt work and as for the breeder where would I find that information? err.gif

My point was, what is the likelihood of anyone in Dog Chatter knowing why these two specific dogs are docked?

I've sent numerous emails to Many Tears using the address on their website without any problems.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 28th Jan 2018, 12:28 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

QUOTE(Penninepoodlewelfare @ 28th Jan 2018, 11:09 am) *

There is one near me with cropped ears and docked tail and as soon as I get the opportunity, I will ask him where he got it.

In all probability, that will be an imported dog, possibly via rescue. Both are still legal in some countries in Europe and in most states in the US. There's a dobe rescue about an hour away from me who cover Europe and the UK and they often have cropped and docked dogs in from Europe.

A lot of people still like the look and will import puppies or adults too, some for breeding although that'#s incidental to being C&D of course - that more likely will be to do with health as our dobes are a train wreck these days, health wise.

If you do ask, please do it nicely - he may not have even wanted a C&D dog but went to rescue and that was the one that fit. I'd adopt one if it was the right temperament for my house, as that is more important, but I don't like the practices and would prefer all natural. I have heard many anecdotes of people with rescued C&D dogs getting angry people talking to them about it when it was never their choice! Tends to be the cropping that does it as it's been illegal in the UK for so much longer, so there's no-one in living memory who's used to seeing that (illegal from 1899).

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 28th Jan 2018, 12:31 pm
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 28th Jan 2018, 12:57 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 2147

My little cocker is docked - legally as she was intended to work (failed). I would not buy a docked puppy, but re-homed her at 12 months so didn't have the choice.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 28th Jan 2018, 4:41 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

My first two dobes were docked, but they were both born pre-ban - I'd have loved them to have had tails. Linc is half dobe and he got the dobe tail genes, his tail is absolutely splendid!
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 28th Jan 2018, 7:44 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

We had a boxer with a naturally docked tail. This was done by breeding in corgi genetics and the split between tail and non tail was about 50/50 in her litter.
+Quote Post
Hannah W
post 29th Jan 2018, 12:17 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 743

In the same vein, it used to do our heads in when we first had our labradors that people tutted all the time because they were both on the chunky side from being in the puppy farms (ok, morbidly obese). Unfortunately people see them for a split second and make comments, whereas if they asked they'd know that getting weight off of an unfit and never walked dog takes time. Both ended up being svelte and eventually fudge went like a skinny hat peg in her very very old age. Then we were 'starving her'. rolleyes.gif

I'd take a docked, cropped, three legged one eyed dog if it meant it was coming to nice home rather than where it had been!
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 29th Jan 2018, 2:10 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

QUOTE(Hannah W @ 29th Jan 2018, 12:17 pm) *

In the same vein, it used to do our heads in when we first had our labradors that people tutted all the time because they were both on the chunky side from being in the puppy farms (ok, morbidly obese). Unfortunately people see them for a split second and make comments, whereas if they asked they'd know that getting weight off of an unfit and never walked dog takes time. Both ended up being svelte and eventually fudge went like a skinny hat peg in her very very old age. Then we were 'starving her'. rolleyes.gif

I'd take a docked, cropped, three legged one eyed dog if it meant it was coming to nice home rather than where it had been!

Yep know that one. Block once said to me your dog is fat, I turned round and said well she's dying of cancer she can eat whatever she wants! That shut him up!!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st February 2018 - 5:04 am