Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can You Over Exercise A Westie?
Tia2
post 4th Oct 2017, 6:44 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 37299

I've taken on a 12yr old westie. He's a lovely boy and quite spritley but hasn't been walked much at all in his life. Although he has been very well loved. He's now living with my 5yr old Golden who gets at least an hour off lead exercise a day and I walk fast. He also runs with me. Now obviously I know I can't run with the Westie but in time will he be able to do the hour + walks I do?

I run my own business so time is tight, I'd ideally rather not walk them separately!

I've got to watch his hips/joints etc at his age but I'm more concerned at the moment of him being over exercised and keeling over with a heart attack!!! Is that possible?? Can dogs be over walked?? He's at home with me during the day and just sleeps.

Put my mind at rest please!!! Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Craters_on_the_lawn
post 5th Oct 2017, 7:06 am
Post #2

Member No.: 55685

It really depends on the dog - and you will need to increase his exercise slowly to bring him up to fitness.

However in my experience of my childhood dogs - a westie and a westie x JRT - both were easily enjoying two x 30 minute walks a day well into their teens (both lived to 16-17); so in total easily managed 1 hour a day.

Not so sure about the fast pace of your walking though - you may have to slow up a bit - as he's got much shorter legs than you and your Golden!

Please take it easy with him to start with though and build him up slowly if he's not used to walking. Short walks of about 20 minutes 2 - 3 times a day to start with; rather than one big long hour walk would be best.

+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 5th Oct 2017, 7:28 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

Yes, build it up slowly. Terriers tend to live long lives so he may not be old yet - I walk a JRT who I reckon is about 10, but he acts like a puppy at times and easily manages the hour walks he gets with me twice a week. But I'm not walking fast!

Most likely though you'll find that he will keep up with an hour at a normal pace no problem, once you've built his fitness. Keep an eye on him for any signs of arthritis too.
+Quote Post
Tia2
post 5th Oct 2017, 9:08 am
Post #4

Ok, thatís good then. Thank you!!

Lots of people told me Westieís canít do more than about 20mins a day... Iím splitting the walks at the moment as heís not fit, but all the nice walks my boy and I enjoy are long!! As well, being so close to the ground the westie gets wet and muddy (we walk through fields and footpaths and woods) so I think Iím going to have to invest in a little waterproof coat for him with a tummy bit!! Iíve never owned a little dog and certainly wouldnít have chosen one but heís not going anywhere. Heís a lovely boy and yes, although 12 doesnít act it!!

Ok, Iím glad that in time he should be able to endure a long walk!! I guess if it came to it I could carry him, but Iíd rather not!!

Thanks!

+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 5th Oct 2017, 11:23 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

A lot of people haven't met many westies then lol.gif They may be a popular breed but they are still terriers, and still very active. For one in good shape I would say an hour a day would be a minimum. As Craters has said, this may need to be split for an older dog but for westies in general, an hour in one go would be easy-peasy. People often make the mistake of thinking small dogs don't need much but they don't know what terriers are like!
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 5th Oct 2017, 4:37 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

Agree that 12 isn't old for a small dog so, once he's built up some muscles, should easily manage an hour or more wub.gif I'm sure you'll have great fun with the little chap smile.gif I love terriers. I've never known a terrier mind getting wet and muddy either lol.gif

Chris

This post has been edited by doggroomer: 5th Oct 2017, 4:57 pm
+Quote Post
Tia2
post 6th Oct 2017, 8:15 am
Post #7

Brilliant! Thanks all, youíve put my mind at ease. Iíve never owned a little dog, all my other dogs have taken all the exercise they can get!! Iíll get him fit and hopefully heíll enjoy the long walks (albeit slower!) we do. Heís really settled in well, less than a week heís been here and other than cocking his leg on furniture itís like heís always been here!!
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 7th Oct 2017, 7:19 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

I use a mobility scooter to exercise my dogs, it is taxed and insured for the road and does a maximum speed of 8 mph, I have to be careful when exercising my dogs as it is very intense exercise. Both Jamie 10, Whippet/JRT and Dolly 8, working Cocker/JRT pull at maximum speed all the way, I do have to reduce the speed to 4 mph when on the pavements but most is on the road.

Cyril 8, Staffie, used to be able to keep up with the other 2 but has slowed down, he nearly starved to death when he was 2 years old and I suspect this has affected his stamina. He now goes at 4 mph and I have shortened the run for him.

Tilly 11, Greyhound/GSD or Labrador or Malinois, has a shorter run than Cyril but at 6mph, she never goes faster than a trot with her long legs. Bonnie 13, Lab/Collie can only go round the block at a very steady pace.

All were able to cope with the doggie day care because they can pace themselves there and there are lots of places for them to rest.

Watch your dog, he will tell you if he is finding it too much so listen to him, every dog is different and all will tell you if they are finding it too much, it is up to us to see our dogs are telling us and take action to help them.

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2017 - 9:37 pm