Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 18th Sep 2017, 2:04 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

Petititon already well underway for this one, and I do hope the dog is spared. Not his fault, not the owner's fault yet they are paying for it.

https://www.change.org/p/beverley-magistrat...ve-sheepdog-jed
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
AnnS
post 18th Sep 2017, 4:21 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 1457

I've signed it. The grandparents should have been more careful.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 19th Sep 2017, 9:41 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

Signed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 19th Sep 2017, 10:51 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

The owner needs a solicitor or understand dog law, we have got quite a few of these dogs with a destruction order on back home thanks to the solicitor we use, Parry Welch Lacy LLP, they are dead against BSL and the DDA, they even have a rescue Staffie pup who runs free in their office getting into mischief. lol.gif We have been trying to find the owner but no luck at the moment, we can give them help and support and help them raise the money for the court case.

--------------------
+Quote Post
barkingrottie
post 19th Sep 2017, 4:44 pm
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No.: 43606

signed
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 19th Sep 2017, 5:46 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

I have been told the owner is in touch with Parry Welch Lacy LLP

If I find anything else out I will let you know.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 19th Sep 2017, 5:51 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

I have been told the owner is in touch with Parry Welch Lacy LLP

If I find anything else out I will let you know.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 19th Sep 2017, 6:12 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

A bit more information,

An appeal has been lodged, the owners are keeping quiet but that is normal for this sort of thing.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 19th Sep 2017, 6:28 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

Signed and "Chipped in".

Ange
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 20th Sep 2017, 1:11 pm
Post #11

Member No.: 5985

I did the same, as a child, hugged a working border collie and yes the dog bit me but I shouldnt have hugged it and was told so by my auntie. rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 20th Sep 2017, 8:30 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

I have a scar on my face where I bothered a working sheepdog age 3 and was scratched. My fault (maybe m parents fault for not supervising their animal crazy baby) but never any suggestion the dog or owner was at fault.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 21st Sep 2017, 8:31 am
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I was chatting to someone a while ago about this whole issue and at present, I don't see a good future for dogs in general. Their lives are becoming more and more restricted by bylaws, they are expected to behave like model citizens right from the start yet people don't put the effort in to train them a lot of them time, often they aren't getting enough exercise etc yet are expected to be calm and affable at all times and on top of that, breeding is just out of control and temperaments are getting worse because any and every dog might be bred from. More and more nervous and reactive dogs, from what I'm seeing through work. There was a post on FB last night about an ad for malinois cross pups and the mother was apparently described as 'very aggressive', as if it was a good thing.

And through all of this, if they put a hair wrong, it's all their fault and they are leashed and muzzled or PTS. They can't win - increasingly many dogs can't cope with what we ask of them but when they don't cope, we blame them. And society is becoming less dog tolerant, as this case shows - and that points too to the larger issue of blaming everyone else and not taking responsibility for your own mistakes. Easier to blame the dog than supervise the child properly.
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 21st Sep 2017, 9:41 am
Post #14

Member No.: 5985

Well said Nikirushka. wink.gif
+Quote Post
mokee
post 21st Sep 2017, 12:52 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 21st Sep 2017, 9:31 am) *

I was chatting to someone a while ago about this whole issue and at present, I don't see a good future for dogs in general. Their lives are becoming more and more restricted by bylaws, they are expected to behave like model citizens right from the start yet people don't put the effort in to train them a lot of them time, often they aren't getting enough exercise etc yet are expected to be calm and affable at all times and on top of that, breeding is just out of control and temperaments are getting worse because any and every dog might be bred from. More and more nervous and reactive dogs, from what I'm seeing through work. There was a post on FB last night about an ad for malinois cross pups and the mother was apparently described as 'very aggressive', as if it was a good thing.

And through all of this, if they put a hair wrong, it's all their fault and they are leashed and muzzled or PTS. They can't win - increasingly many dogs can't cope with what we ask of them but when they don't cope, we blame them. And society is becoming less dog tolerant, as this case shows - and that points too to the larger issue of blaming everyone else and not taking responsibility for your own mistakes. Easier to blame the dog than supervise the child properly.

Was literally just talking about this last night with OH - we both wandered if the grandparents had pushed for PTS in this case due to guilt, because if it is the dogs fault that their grandchild needed plastic surgery, it would take some of the guilt away from them? I must admit that this case is really striking a chord with me because if some random child had thrown their arms around either of my collies, they'd probably have received a face full of teeth in return too - which is why my dogs don't often go out where there are people and are muzzled when they do.

I also think the situation is getting so much more complicated now with the introduction of puppy farms, illegally imported puppies from Europe and foreign rescue dogs who aren't used to living as pets. How can a puppy that has been indiscriminately bred from any dogs they happened to lay their hands on, brought up in a filthy shed with little/no human contact ever be expected to become a well rounded family pet?

I do think there are additional complications nowadays in that in the 'good old days' a dog that bit was PTS, end of story. As harsh as that might have been for the dogs, it did mean that dogs with iffy temperaments weren't passing those genes on to the next generation. Nowadays vets and owners are far more likely to try to 'rehabilitate' reactive dogs and even breed from them. I belong to a facebook group for owners of reactive dogs and I've lost count of the amount of times I've read something like "I know my dog bites, he's bitten two people already, but I don't want to muzzle him".

I can see a day coming when all dogs have to be leashed and muzzled in public at all times.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 8:06 pm