IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Please Help
xKTPx
post 11th Jan 2018, 9:03 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 55698

I've always loved dogs
Mum would never let me have one so within weeks of marriage we had our first. That was 43 years ago

Unlike lots of you on here though we've only ever had a single dog

Now our Daughter has a Terrier cross (she's meant to have a small Lab Mum and a Norfolk Terrier Dad....but looks like a mini version of the brown Pointer on the Harringtons advert) puppy Lily (7mths). Our Tia is 6 years and is a Lab/Lurcher/Staff cross

The plan was I'd mind Lily at our house a couple of days a week. But I'm having to mind her at theirs as we haven't managed an uneventful meeting of the two yet

Both have waggy tails but Lily's behaviour is beyond anything I've seen. On lead she passes other dogs no trouble. But once in our house she barks non stop really loudly and becomes very hyper trying to get to Tia. Tia does warning growls but Lily is oblivious to them

I'm thinking get them both on to a field so they're not enclosed in a small lounge? Tire them out and then come home hoping they'll flop

Thank you in advance

TiaImage
She's the size of a small Lab now.... this was taken on her first night here after being in rescue

Lily...with our Granddaughter

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 12th Jan 2018, 9:08 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

Very cute!

Intros are always best done outside on neutral territory. Its a good idea to let them have a walk together and let them become familiar with each other.

Do you know anything of Lily's history? Personally, for the time being, walking together, and then each dog back to their own house, assuming you can leave your dog alone for a little bit? Possibly taking them home together either to yours or Lily's, but only for a few minutes, maybe everything is just a bit too much and she is getting hyper in a new house.

I would take it slow, she is only 7 months, and sounds like she had a few changes in her young life, she may not be able to cope with it all in one go smile.gif

I am sure some more experienced people will come along for some advice smile.gif
+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 12th Jan 2018, 2:00 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

smile.gif Thank you

She has been to our house several times now (pup Lily). It always has to be cut short as she gets more hysterical, not less
She is in general a very active little girl....lots of zoomies and running leaps to land on your head to lick ears. She does tire herself out and sleep occasionally lol

I do think I know the problem. She came home to my Daughter at 6 weeks so didn't learn enough manners from her Mum/Siblings. She was the runt of the litter, much smaller than the others
She is also their little Princess. Sleeps in bed between them and is adored beyond belief

I have told them she'd benefit from puppy classes but they're unable to take her and so am I
+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 13th Jan 2018, 10:53 am
Post #4

Group Icon

Just been reading through replies to previous posts. I had not thought the excited barking could be stress. Interesting. And can now see the stern voice may be better replaced with a happy confident voice
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 15th Jan 2018, 7:40 am
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(xKTPx @ 13th Jan 2018, 10:53 am) *

Just been reading through replies to previous posts. I had not thought the excited barking could be stress. Interesting. And can now see the stern voice may be better replaced with a happy confident voice

Definitely! Happy and softer voice can work miracles! Think you hit the nail on its head, if she was taking too early from her mum and siblings she has missed out on a lot of learning about 'being a dog'

Possibly carry on with what you are doing, make sure your dog has a place where she wont be disturbed when she gets tired, and I would do little bits of training with the pup, little and often once the brain is tired, the body will sleep winks.gif

+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 15th Jan 2018, 3:41 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

smile.gif Thanks for that

Lily's 'Mum and Dad' are bringing her tonight plus their puppy pen so she can't 'attack' our Tia rolleyes.gif

Fingers crossed
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 17th Jan 2018, 8:15 am
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(xKTPx @ 15th Jan 2018, 3:41 pm) *

smile.gif Thanks for that

Lily's 'Mum and Dad' are bringing her tonight plus their puppy pen so she can't 'attack' our Tia rolleyes.gif

Fingers crossed

Hope it is starting to get better!
+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 18th Jan 2018, 8:58 am
Post #8

Group Icon

wink.gif Slowly

We haven't left them free together yet. I know our Tia is going to nip Lily before Lily toes the line. We're just all worried
They're hoping I can have Lily here when they go on holidays, so it would be great if they could tolerate each other
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 18th Jan 2018, 12:24 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

slow is good smile.gif
+Quote Post
Pam13
post 30th Jan 2018, 4:12 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 32646

Only just read this but glad things are starting to slowly improve. Lily is very much hitting 'teenage years' which doesn't help. I would say that it would be worth working on a chill time type exercise where she can learn to settle on a mat, piece of bedding etc. There are probably lots of tutorials around but it would help her enormously to learn to settle herself in unfamiliar places, situations etc even in situations when she just gets herself a little worked up.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd February 2018 - 8:50 am