2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fabulous Home Waiting For Lucky Dog, Active home
RoosMum
post 1st Apr 2012, 9:39 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 55130

Hi there and thanks for reading my post. What we are looking for is perhaps unusual as we are seeking a rescue dog that will have a great home and be very active in the kennel club junior organisation events. My teenage daughter is looking for a dog of her own to train and compete with, she has been handling my bitch in junior handling competitions and is very devoted in the day to day care of our dogs. We are open minded as to breed of dog and wether dog or bitch. We could of course go and buy a pedigree dog for her but she is very aware of animal welfare and the plight of rescue dogs and would like the challenge of this venture more exciting while giving an unwanted rescue dog a wonderful life.

Now for the the but.......

To be eligible to compete the dog must be kc registered. I know this is usually against most rescues rules but it is purely for competition purposes and obviously any dog would be neutered anyway.

So if you think you can help please do get in touch smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Solosanctuary
post 1st Apr 2012, 10:06 am
Post #2

Member No.: 52583

If you can give a few more details to help the search...

What age range are you looking for?

Where abouts are you in the country?

Are you prepared to travel and how far?

There are a few KC registered dogs in rescue...so it is possible. flowers.gif
+Quote Post
RoosMum
post 1st Apr 2012, 10:38 am
Post #3

Hi there, thanks for replying, we are totally open minded on age, sex and breed as understand that what we are seeking may be like looking for a needle in a haystack! What matters more is the dogs tempperament and attitude, obviously it will be a childs dog so must love children! A biddable character would also be most sought after due to the type of training and activities it will be doing.
We are in Scotland but would be prepared to travel for the perfect partner smile.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 1st Apr 2012, 1:57 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 10491

Most rescues will not hand over pedigree papers, if they get them with the dog.

Any dog, purebred or crossbreed, can be entered on the activity register for agility, obedience, flyball etc

Most rescues also insist that all other dogs in the household must be neutered- would that be a problem for you?

You may have more success getting pedigree papers from a breed rescue.
+Quote Post
RoosMum
post 1st Apr 2012, 2:08 pm
Post #5

Unfortunately to compete in junior handling the dog needs to be on the kc breed register and compete in its own breed class as well as the junior handling classes. I understand what I am looking for may be impossible we just thought we would give a rescue dog a chance to have a fun active home rather than buying from a breeder. It would certainly be a great advert for rescue dogs!
I do have two entire dogs lliving in our household that are health tested according to their breed and compete succesfully at a high level. It would be a shame if a rescue didn't rehome an already neutered dog with us for this reason. Anyway I thought it worth a try posting here as you never know, that elusive perfect dog may be out there! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Solosanctuary
post 1st Apr 2012, 2:49 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 52583

Leicester SBT rescue have a couple of KC reg dogs - Romeo and Jet

http://www.sbtrescue.com/

This post has been edited by Solosanctuary: 1st Apr 2012, 2:50 pm
+Quote Post
marbledmolly
post 2nd Apr 2012, 7:23 am
Post #7

Member No.: 36188

QUOTE(RoosMum @ 1st Apr 2012, 3:08 pm) *

Unfortunately to compete in junior handling the dog needs to be on the kc breed register and compete in its own breed class as well as the junior handling classes. I understand what I am looking for may be impossible we just thought we would give a rescue dog a chance to have a fun active home rather than buying from a breeder. It would certainly be a great advert for rescue dogs!
I do have two entire dogs lliving in our household that are health tested according to their breed and compete succesfully at a high level. It would be a shame if a rescue didn't rehome an already neutered dog with us for this reason. Anyway I thought it worth a try posting here as you never know, that elusive perfect dog may be out there! smile.gif

I understand exactly where your comming from with this. We had the same problem with my son and competing with our dogs in junior handling. There are KC JH classes around for non pedigree dogs but they are few and far between.( i.e. the YKC training days) You can compete with a neutered pedigree dog as long as you have a permission letter from the KC, we've got one for one our dogs. Although she isn't up to breed standard and stands out like a saw thumb in the breed class that she use to get funny looks. But like you say you need to enter them to be able to do the JH classes, with i think is such a shame and is the reason we ended up giving it up and swaped to agility instead. We've got another dog that is a rescue and would do much better in the breed classes but we don't have papers for her, so she can't compete. Like you said your looking for a needle in a haystack. Most rescues won't pass over papers even if they get them and rehoming to a home with 2 entire dogs won't happen either. Private adoption or a breeder moving on a dog is really the only way I can see you will get papers. I wish you luck in your search, but I think it will be like winning the lottery.
+Quote Post
RoosMum
post 2nd Apr 2012, 8:10 am
Post #8

Thanks for the reply, yes it really is like looking for a pink elephant and I am in touch with breeders etc, my only hope I suppose from this ad is that a private individual rehoming their dog sees this and gives us a try. It really is a shame as my daughter is so passionate about animal welfare add rescuing (we have fostered many dogs for our own breed welfare too) it really would be a fantastic advert for a rescue dog and what they can still do! She is training and will eventually compete in agility with our ISDS and KC reg collie, but he is very much of the working type and does not enjoy any form of showing, he would rather roll on his back and piddle with excitement when the judge puts her hands on him smile.gif

Anyway I willl remain ever hopeful and optimistic! smile.gif
+Quote Post
FeeFee
post 2nd Apr 2012, 9:32 am
Post #9

Group: Member.
Member No.: 11011

In my experience dogs with KC papers coming into general rescue are a rarity anyway. Your best bet would probably be to shortlist the breeds you would consider and contact the breed rescues directly and explain your situation.

I can't personally see why there would be an objection to passing on KC papers for a neutered dog to allow them to compete in junior handling so you may find they will be flexible about this.

In case you haven't already discovered it, there is a list of breed rescues here:

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/breeds.htm

+Quote Post
RoosMum
post 13th Apr 2012, 12:18 pm
Post #10

Still looking for that perfect pooch. wub.gif
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 16th Apr 2012, 11:06 am
Post #11

Member No.: 15191

Would you consider an Irish Terrier?

We do get a surprisingly high number through rescue adn although some would not be suitable to rehome with children, many would be absolutely fine and are very trainable (some do agility, caniX, flyball, tracking, trained to the gun...)

Our poilcy in Breed Rescue is generally to withhold registration papers, but if the dog / bitch was neutered anyway, and the registration was transfered for a good reason (i.e. to enable a rescue dog to take part in YKC activities) then of course we would consider it although we've never done it before.

If you are interested in discussing this, you can PM me for my contact details. I did send you a PM, but perhaps it never arrived.

+Quote Post
RoosMum
post 17th Apr 2012, 3:13 pm
Post #12

Hey there, sorry I'm between phone contract upgrades at the moment so couldn't reply as accessing this from my blackberry only.
Yes we would consider an irish terrier, its a larger breed my daughter has been handling so we are not bothered by size. As I've said we would consider any dog that has the right temperament and will be happy with us. Interesting too that they can be trained to the gun as my husband is seeking a gundog!
I have experience with hand stripping so maintenence of coat isn't a problem either.
I will pm you smile.gif

This post has been edited by RoosMum: 17th Apr 2012, 3:14 pm
+Quote Post
RoosMum
post 23rd May 2012, 8:33 am
Post #13

We have had a few false starts but still looking, that elusive dog is out there somewhere! We are in touch with various breed rescues so fingers crossed smile.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 27th May 2012, 10:31 pm
Post #14

Member No.: 10491

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.ph...p;#entry3879757
+Quote Post