Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Licking Mud
Monty's Slave
post 30th Nov 2017, 12:41 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 13348

My 2 veterans - 10 yer old Brittany and 13 year old Beagle X - have both become obsessed with licking mud in the garden. It is just in one spot although I have seen them do it in another area on a walk. They are both lively and active, get 3 walks a day, eat well etc. but I was wondering if it was a habit or if they are both lacking something in their diet.

They get Harringtons complete for breakfast, sometimes with a bit of egg and for dinner, a little kibble and half a tin each of Butchers. One is a perfect weight according to my vet but my spaniel is a little porky and we have to keep an eye on her.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Have read it could be liver function but my 13 year old had full blood tests and a scan for something unrelated and all is clear, plus they are both doing it.

Many thanks

Ali
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 30th Nov 2017, 2:06 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 51601

No answers but there are two places in woods near me where successive generations of dogs have dug in the earth and eaten it. We used to joke that there were truffles growing there but never dug to find out. I don't take my current dogs there as its too busy now.
+Quote Post
moorx
post 30th Nov 2017, 6:40 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

The only time one of mine has eaten soil is Sam, when his IMHA was starting. But that sort of problem should have been picked up by a blood test....
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 30th Nov 2017, 11:09 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

My 11 year old border terrier/beagle cross licks soil/mud if I stop to talk to anyone when we are out. But I have not seen her do it in our own garden or when running free in the field.

She also licks the floor around the cupboard where their food is stored after I have measured out their food, the kitchen floor around their bowls for ages after they have been fed and around my chair where I eat at the table.

For Millie I think it's more about greed and her 'beagle belly' than a deficiency. She can be a poo eater sometimes to, if the poo takes her fancy.

Ange
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 2nd Dec 2017, 2:46 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

My 11yr old did start eating a lot of mud but it has tailed off over the past few months. I started raw feeding her in May. She does still do some environmental licking though, which comes from digestive upset - I've not yet figured out what the triggers for that are.
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 3rd Dec 2017, 10:24 am
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No.: 5985

There is a certain good bacteria just under the grass in the top layer of soil but I cant remember what it is!

How about giving them live yoghurt or raw milk?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 5:43 am