IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stud Tail/violet Gland/supracaudal Gland, Advice on what a normal gland should look like.
Jill C
post 3rd Jul 2017, 1:14 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 29197

Hello!

My dog (border collie) has 'stud tail' which is being treated, I know the treatments and future preventative measures that's not the bit I need advice about. What I need to know is what a normal uninfected gland on an entire male dog would look like. I never even knew it existed before he developed it lol.gif

At the moment his is less swollen than it was originally and the skin looks normal now, but there is still a raised mound. Should the gland be completely flat normally (in the dogs that have them as apparently for many dogs it's vestigial or absent) or should there be a noticeable mound?

His treatment isn't completed yet, I'm just trying to monitor it and was wondering what was 'normal' and compare how it is to how it should be smile.gif

Thank you.

This post has been edited by Jill C: 3rd Jul 2017, 1:14 pm
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 4th Jul 2017, 5:07 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 51601

My undocked weimaraner had stud tail...unfortunately it was around 25 years ago and I have no photos. In him it took the form of a greasy bald patch that got spots, boils and blackheads and if not managed would become red and inflamed. The skin got thickened there too and was always a bit redder than the surrounding skin. In those days, the treatment was simple but effective which was to remove and prevent any sebum build up. Bad episodes were treated by being wiped with surgical spirit, milder problems, broken skin and maintenance with regular soap and water washing. Luckily it never troubled him unless he got a boil or an infected spot and was very good about having it bathed. As I recall, its not actually a single gland like an anal gland, more a patch of over active sebum glands.

This post has been edited by woofgang: 4th Jul 2017, 5:09 pm
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 4th Jul 2017, 5:16 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

I had a quick image google and this is pretty much what i remember my boy’s tail looking like. The grey stuff is a mixture of skin cells and sebum which gradually cleans away with treatment.

http://www.veterinaryimagebank.com/index.php/image/show/57
+Quote Post
Jill C
post 5th Jul 2017, 12:50 pm
Post #4

Thank you for the reply Woofgang - do you remember what your dog's tail looked like when it was no longer infected? Was there still a bump or did it go completely flat?
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 5th Jul 2017, 2:09 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

He never had any kind of bump. The skin felt thicker....like an excema sufferer can get....but no bump, no swelling of any kind apart from the spots or boils.....just like the picture
+Quote Post
Jill C
post 6th Jul 2017, 10:54 pm
Post #6

Thank you x
+Quote Post