Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Horrific Holiday Experience - Warning, Dog Friendly doesn't mean dog safe
AnnS
post 1st Jul 2017, 5:04 pm
Post #31

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 1457

Just a thought, and maybe have been mentioned, but did you have holiday insurance? Could so easily have been a child with a dog.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bridienme
post 2nd Jul 2017, 8:31 am
Post #32

Group Icon

Member No.: 18456

Yes we took out holiday insurance, we are contacting them tomorrow.

We have also re-read the advertisement for the cottage and it's listed as an being attached to an arable farm so it's a farm for growing stuff, not an animal farm.

When we were at the vets she was horrified that there was such easy access to the horses. She said if a horse would stomp on a dog then it could very possibly stomp on a small child. The gate was so easy to get through or under. I shudder to think about it. When Sykes said they were not going to do anything I asked what they would do if it was a child who was involved but they weren't interested.
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 2nd Jul 2017, 9:13 am
Post #33

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

Is there a professional body or suchlike for private rental owners?
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 2nd Jul 2017, 10:21 am
Post #34

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Have you spoken to Trading Standards about the advert?
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 2nd Jul 2017, 6:25 pm
Post #35

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

You say Bungle went under a farm gate.Does that mean she was already out of the garden?

How did she get out of the garden?

How did the collie get in if the garden was enclosed?

On two other sites the cottage is advertised as a working farm.
+Quote Post
bridienme
post 3rd Jul 2017, 10:55 am
Post #36

Group Icon

QUOTE(Dalsmum @ 2nd Jul 2017, 7:25 pm) *

You say Bungle went under a farm gate.Does that mean she was already out of the garden?

How did she get out of the garden?

How did the collie get in if the garden was enclosed?

On two other sites the cottage is advertised as a working farm.

the cottages opened straight out onto the yard, she didn't escape from the garden. My husband opened the door and she just ran between his legs. We booked the cottage from Sykes advertisement which advertised it as an arable farm or we wouldn't have booked it.

+Quote Post
Louwra
post 3rd Jul 2017, 11:10 am
Post #37

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

QUOTE(bridienme @ 3rd Jul 2017, 11:55 am) *

the cottages opened straight out onto the yard, she didn't escape from the garden. My husband opened the door and she just ran between his legs. We booked the cottage from Sykes advertisement which advertised it as an arable farm or we wouldn't have booked it.

Think it would be wise to check with your Insurance or a solicitor first. I understand wanting to take it further, however, to me it doesnt look like you have grounds based on where Bungle ran from, it wasnt the garden.And although it says an arable garden, the pictures do show somebody on a horse, it mentions you can hire horses

I do hope Bungle is doing ok now, and you are also getting there with the shock, horrendous experience! hug.gif

Form the experience of my daughter who worked in a similar call centre, owners of these holiday lets can be really horrid people and don't care about anything sad.gif She has had to deal with some awful ones!
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 3rd Jul 2017, 11:36 am
Post #38

Member No.: 10491

[quote name='Louwra' date='3rd Jul 2017, 11:10 am' post='4141485']

Think it would be wise to check with your Insurance or a solicitor first. I understand wanting to take it further, however, to me it doesnt look like you have grounds based on where Bungle ran from, it wasnt the garden.

This Is what I was afraid of..

I appreciate it was accidental but It could be argued that you contributed to accident as she escaped out of an open door. That is not really the holiday house owners fault.

While it would be safe for a dog to be go anywhere in an enclosed garden I cannot think that the owner meant they could go anywhere of the farm.

+Quote Post
bridienme
post 3rd Jul 2017, 11:58 am
Post #39

Group Icon

QUOTE(Louwra @ 3rd Jul 2017, 12:10 pm) *

Think it would be wise to check with your Insurance or a solicitor first. I understand wanting to take it further, however, to me it doesnt look like you have grounds based on where Bungle ran from, it wasnt the garden.And although it says an arable garden, the pictures do show somebody on a horse, it mentions you can hire horses

I do hope Bungle is doing ok now, and you are also getting there with the shock, horrendous experience! hug.gif

Form the experience of my daughter who worked in a similar call centre, owners of these holiday lets can be really horrid people and don't care about anything sad.gif She has had to deal with some awful ones!

Nowhere on the Sykes advert for the cottage does it say there is horses. I have printed out the advert. No picture of horses or advertisement to hire. Are you looking at the right letting agent?
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 3rd Jul 2017, 12:25 pm
Post #40

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

QUOTE(bridienme @ 3rd Jul 2017, 12:58 pm) *

Nowhere on the Sykes advert for the cottage does it say there is horses. I have printed out the advert. No picture of horses or advertisement to hire. Are you looking at the right letting agent?

You are correct,apologies smile.gif possibly it was on tripadvisor I think, cant find it back now smile.gif However on Sykes, one of the pictures show a horse being ridden, and it does state (at the bottom)

Note: Mobile phone signal is variable at this property
Note: Stabling and grazing available by arrangement with owner
+Quote Post
BaggyDog1991
post 13th Jul 2017, 7:54 am
Post #41

Member No.: 16588

My heart was in my mouth reading your post. We booked a cottage years ago - filthy dirty blah blah - complained to agent when we returned home. They said we should have complained at the time. I pointed out that they'd have struggled to find someone for us nearby with three large dogs! I'm beginning to go off farms - we had a cottage last year where the owners' dog got into the garden and it's not the first one. Hope you all will recover soon and put this behind you. Sykes should be doing their bit, how can they ignore this? sad.gif

--------------------
www.safedog.co.uk
Crash tested car crates to protect your canine and human family

+Quote Post
Ianr
post 13th Jul 2017, 10:13 am
Post #42

Member No.: 27192

I'm sorry to read of your upsetting experience. It wont cost you a lot to make a claim, you don't have to be represented by a Solicitor and in a small claim costs are not usually awarded against the loser if you do wish to pursue this. However I'm not convinced that you will win this case personally. The owners subsequent attitude may have been poor / even callous but that isn't necessarily legally relevant - see comments below in red

QUOTE(bridienme @ 29th Jun 2017, 11:34 am) *

This was advertised as dog friendly accomodation and looked lovely. It was a cottage made from the outbuildings on a farm. It wasn't a farm in the ordinary sense of the word but they had lots of thoroughbred, BIG, horses.)

They were dog friendly & appear to have made no specific claims as to safety or fencing

The owner told us that the property was completely fenced in so the dogs couldn't go anywhere if they wanted a run.
Was the property fully fenced as stated & could you not see for yourself that it was possible for a smaller dog to pass under the gate?

We were planning on a trip to Kielder Water yesterday so hubby opened the door to put the sat nav in the car only to find the collie outside. Bungle saw him and ran between hubbies legs to have a chase.

We ran everywhere trying to catch her then we saw her run, without having to duck, under a farm gate.

Hubby let your dog out and you were unable to recall her?

I ran in only to see 6 or 7 huge horses in the far corner. One horse saw Bungle and charged up the field at her, followed by the other horses. Poor Bungle ran in absolute fear from them but the leader caught up with her and I watched in horror and screaming as he reared up and started to stomp on her. I was beside myself and for the rest of my days I will have that memory torturing me. The owner was in the paddock just standing there until I screamed at him to get the horses out of the paddock.

Did anyone ever say that there would be no horses on the farm or in the paddock? Did you ask about horses if this was important to you?

My hubby is terrified of horses but he crawled between all of the horses who had surrounded Bungle who by now had rolled over in submission. Bungle ran to the corner of the paddock and laid there and i thought she was dead or dying. We got her straight back to the cottage into a warm bath as she was covered in mud and manure and there were perfect footprints all down her spine. My hubby cleaned her off to see if her skin was broke then we wrapped her in a warm towel while we gathered all our stuff to get her home to our vets.

Bathing the dog and going home does little for supporting your case. In an emergency / if in genuine fear of internal injuries I suspect most Judges / reasonable people would query why have gone to the nearest vet immediately & also wonder how it can be that hubby wasn't stomped on?

I am so angry that precautions were not taken to ensure that small dogs could not get under the gate. She didn't even have to duck to get under it, it was so far off the ground.

They are probably going to ask what precautions you took. Even if you were able to claim successfully it would probably be for your losses - i.e. vets bills not necessarily a full refund on your holiday accomodation

This post has been edited by Ianr: 13th Jul 2017, 10:19 am
+Quote Post
bridienme
post 13th Jul 2017, 11:10 am
Post #43

Group Icon

Thanks for your highlighted comments.

I have no idea why the horses didn't stomp on my husband, how can I know that?

The gate in question was not visible from where we stayed, we had no idea it was there as it was behind the farmhouse.

Bungle was covered in mud and manure and shaking like a leaf. Our first reaction was to see if she had any open wounds. If there were any then surely removing bacteria covered horse manure would be essential. As for the nearest vet.....we were miles away from anywhere. Once we hit the A69 it took us an hour to get her to our vet. We did what we thought best despite the turmoil of emotions and horror we had experienced. I would challenge anybody, who witnessed what we saw to go through an organized thought process.

We have discussed it in length and decided not to try and take any action. Doing so would only prolong the healing process. I was on Diazapam for a week but now have stopped taking them.

We just want to forget this whole horrid episode. Talking about taking legal action was a knee jerk reaction but I will never forgive the owners of the farm for their lack of compassion and I will never use Sykes Cottages again.

I just hope my post will prompt people to ask questions regarding their "dog friendly" holiday booking.
+Quote Post
MRCHEW
post 14th Jul 2017, 9:21 pm
Post #44

Group Icon

Member No.: 50923

So sorry you, your hubby and Bungle had to go through this.
I have booked through Sykes previously. We stayed on a working farm in Cornwall. The blurp on site stated there was a large enclosed field behind cottage. Silly me thought, out back door into field, nope had to cross a field of sheep, a field of cows and a muddy stinky field of pigs. Thankfully I found this out before my dogs had any chance of getting out of cottage. As my babies are hairless and are protected against fleas, they didn't have any. But we all were bitten alive from fleas in carpeted lounge. Spend 26 buying spray to kill them. Owner was a bit mortified and repaid the cost.
I learned always check, and don't let dogs out until you know whats what.

There is a financial cost of going to small claims but fee is set, I would defo sue both, booking agents think they are above the law and should be challenged. Even if you lose against them it might make them think about their policies.

+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 15th Jul 2017, 11:19 am
Post #45

Group Icon

Member No.: 55698

sad.gif So sorry you had such a bad experience. Hope your flashbacks have gone, and your treatment is going well hug.gif hug.gif
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd July 2017 - 2:39 am