IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Arthritis Advice Please
mokee
post 11th Oct 2016, 3:42 pm
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 36406

I don't know if this is any help - but my vet also told me when Bali was diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia that the only supplement scientifically proven to help arthritis in dogs is Green Lipped Mussel.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Fever
post 11th Oct 2016, 6:38 pm
Post #17

Group Icon

Member No.: 37085

I would be looking into zoopharmacognosy. Have been having this for my dogs for a few years now and now just started a course for self interest.
It's where dogs are facilitated to choose various herbs, oils etc and what surprised me is how their choices vary over the weeks. Rufus has a bit of arthritis and he has chosen turmeric in the past but he usually chooses birch or arnica, both painkillers. Riddley chooses a lot for stomach and skin, although has no visible problems with either.
I wouldn't now just give something daily unless in extreme cases because they have the opportunity to get what they need daily. I've stopped all their supplements, and they've never been healthier - in fact we haven't had a single vet visit for 3 years for any of them.
I would always go to my vet of course but the zoopharm keeps them in good health without any of the guesswork.

+Quote Post
Louwra
post 12th Oct 2016, 6:44 am
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

My old boy ( Neo Mastiff) had very bad arthritis, vet put him on rimadyl, and he reacted badly to that. Stopped it, and started green lipped muscle, worked wonders. For mobility, pain relief, it really did it for him

These days, with my current lot, luckily no sign of it, I also joined the Tumeric group, as Luna had a bit of a limp after running after the ball. Vet thought a pulled muscle, so gave her the paste, and it worked for her. I am talking it myself ( although the lazy way and bought capsules) and I find it a great help with my arthritis, pain has reduced to almost nothing, inflammation also down a bit. Certainly worth looking into this, lost of scientific research has been done and shown some good and promising results. And yes, it does seem to help some more than others smile.gif
+Quote Post
Monty's Slave
post 20th Oct 2016, 10:03 pm
Post #19

Group: Member
Member No.: 13348

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Have just ordered some organic turmeric. Weird thing is she appears a lot better and can hardly detect limp now so am hoping it was a bad sprain although vet thinks elbow and shoulder is area of suspected arthritis. Will hopefully have diagnosis confirmed next week.
+Quote Post
pangolin
post 22nd Oct 2016, 12:20 pm
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 45080

QUOTE(leweylab @ 11th Oct 2016, 2:28 pm) *

I tried GP before he went onto Rimadyl permanently and didn't see any improvement at all, despite being on a hefty dose for several months err.gif

I noticed on the site that humans that had started taking GP noted various effects from huge improvements straight away to no notable difference at all after taking it over a fairly long period unsure.gif

Is it one of those things that just affects people (and animals) differently?

Were you using a recommended brand of turmeric? Not all of them contain curcumin, some have had it extracted which gets sold off for supplements and the turmeric is then just used for flavour/colour in curries.

Also the dose can make a difference - my girl gets four 1/4 teaspoon doses, it doesn't stay in the body long so smaller, more frequent doses are better than one big dose.
+Quote Post
leweylab
post 24th Oct 2016, 9:45 am
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 45786

QUOTE(pangolin @ 22nd Oct 2016, 1:20 pm) *

Were you using a recommended brand of turmeric? Not all of them contain curcumin, some have had it extracted which gets sold off for supplements and the turmeric is then just used for flavour/colour in curries.

Also the dose can make a difference - my girl gets four 1/4 teaspoon doses, it doesn't stay in the body long so smaller, more frequent doses are better than one big dose.

I used organic turmeric from the local health food shop, so I presume that would have been suitable unsure.gif

I started at 1/4 teaspoon and upped it bit by bit until he was on 1 teaspoon twice a day. I don't think it was recommended to go over that if there was still no improvement err.gif
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 24th Oct 2016, 10:07 am
Post #22

Group: Member
Member No.: 10491

QUOTE(leweylab @ 24th Oct 2016, 10:45 am) *

I used organic turmeric from the local health food shop, so I presume that would have been suitable unsure.gif

I started at 1/4 teaspoon and upped it bit by bit until he was on 1 teaspoon twice a day. I don't think it was recommended to go over that if there was still no improvement err.gif

You do need to check the curcumin level. If sold for cullinary use it may not have the required level. I bought mine through Amazon and it states the curcumin level on it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 9:20 am