IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compulsory Microchipping, Are you in favour?
Compulsory Microchipping
Are you in favour of compulsory microchipping?
Yes [ 86 ] ** [86.87%]
No [ 13 ] ** [13.13%]
Total Votes: 99
Guests cannot vote 
mandy d
post 7th Aug 2010, 6:18 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 14985

Following the other thread in Chatter please vote on whether you are in favour of compulsory microchipping, hoping that any legislation would actually be enforced. If you are in favour please write to your MP to ask for their support for the Early Day Motion proposing it.

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=229029
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
johnderondon
post 8th Aug 2010, 11:03 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 29322

Mandatory permanent identification is an essential pre-requiste for any effective dog control measure.
+Quote Post
Minx
post 8th Aug 2010, 1:35 pm
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 4726

As above. I don't care what form the mandatory permanent ID takes. I'd be happy to go with a DNA 'pawprint' tongue.gif , but I accept that that is most likely a leap too far for most people. Microchipping is probably the current best option, because people are (more) familiar with it, and in spite of myths to the contrary, there isn't much evidence to suggest that dogs are deliberately mutilated to remove the ID. Yes, I accept that microchips move/stop working. Need the paper trail too. Next step....
+Quote Post
hadrena
post 8th Aug 2010, 3:16 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 47543

hi just a thought from me if all pups are chipped as pups before thay can be passed on and the persons who breed them have to included there national insurence no on them back street breeders on benifits then should have benifits cut would help i think with the poor dogs being dumped
+Quote Post
kestla
post 8th Aug 2010, 5:52 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 18481

NO

I can only imagine what would happen to the Greyhounds to remove the chip before they are dumped OR none would make saefety as its easier to just dispose of them

Puppy farm dogs too err.gif
Do you in all honesty think they will pay money to microchip dogs.

I also think Jo public will once again pay out and follow the rules and the ones this is aimed at WON`T.
I don`t see how this will help the stray or rescue situation, who will monitor it, who will pay ect ect ect.

+Quote Post
Samara
post 8th Aug 2010, 6:00 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 28328

QUOTE(kestla @ 8th Aug 2010, 6:52 pm) *

I also think Jo public will once again pay out and follow the rules and the ones this is aimed at WON`T.
I don`t see how this will help the stray or rescue situation, who will monitor it, who will pay ect ect ect.

Pretty much why I voted "NO" too.
+Quote Post
mandy d
post 8th Aug 2010, 6:10 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 14985

QUOTE(kestla @ 8th Aug 2010, 4:52 pm) *

NO

I can only imagine what would happen to the Greyhounds to remove the chip before they are dumped OR none would make saefety as its easier to just dispose of them

Puppy farm dogs too err.gif
Do you in all honesty think they will pay money to microchip dogs.

There are now some very good answers to these objections in the other thread by people who know a lot more about it than I do. I looked for a emoticon for banging my head against a brick wall and couldn't find one!

This post has been edited by mandy d: 8th Aug 2010, 6:11 pm
+Quote Post
kestla
post 9th Aug 2010, 11:29 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 18481

QUOTE(mandy d @ 8th Aug 2010, 7:10 pm) *

There are now some very good answers to these objections in the other thread by people who know a lot more about it than I do. I looked for a emoticon for banging my head against a brick wall and couldn't find one!

You have your ideas and I have MINE.
You can`t make people believe what you do or that what you believe will stop dogs dieing as I honestly don`t think it will err.gif
I KNOW how bad the rescue situation is and IF I honestly thought this would help it would have my support.
+Quote Post
sprolliehouse
post 10th Aug 2010, 11:53 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 28432

I voted yes, as I feel it is an essential part of enforcing the legislation we already have as well as facilitating the legislation we need if we are to start to get the problems under control.
I would be happy if there were an option of tattooing for people who objected to microchipping, but some form of permanent ID is definitely needed.
+Quote Post
Doglovinglou
post 13th Aug 2010, 12:28 am
Post #10

Member No.: 46256

QUOTE(kestla @ 10th Aug 2010, 12:29 am) *

You have your ideas and I have MINE.
You can`t make people believe what you do or that what you believe will stop dogs dieing as I honestly don`t think it will err.gif
I KNOW how bad the rescue situation is and IF I honestly thought this would help it would have my support.

Exactly my point to and why i voted No.

I can't see this making the slightest bit of difference to be honest. Your irresponsible breeders are never going to fork the money out to have a litter chipped and they're not the type to inform new owners to get it done. Not to mention even if people was to chip their dogs you're still left with the people who simply wouldn't update their details and you're still left with untraceable dogs.

As bad as it sounds, even if this was to become compulsory right now, i would not have Tyler chipped.
+Quote Post
Samara
post 13th Aug 2010, 9:55 am
Post #11

Member No.: 28328

QUOTE(Doglovinglou @ 13th Aug 2010, 1:28 am) *

Exactly my point to and why i voted No.
I can't see this making the slightest bit of difference to be honest. Your irresponsible breeders are never going to fork the money out to have a litter chipped and they're not the type to inform new owners to get it done. Not to mention even if people was to chip their dogs you're still left with the people who simply wouldn't update their details and you're still left with untraceable dogs.

As bad as it sounds, even if this was to become compulsory right now, i would not have Tyler chipped.

It doesn't sound bad at all, it simply shows that you prefer to make your own mind up about important aspects of your dog's care, good for you. You have a lucky dog smile.gif

+Quote Post
jaycee2
post 13th Aug 2010, 5:00 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 13156

In theory, a good idea......... in practice, untenable.
WHO is going to ensure that details are kept up to date (look how many chipped dogs end up in pounds with untraceable owners)?
Also, you don't seriously think that, while people can buy a pup from a cardboard box "down the pub" for a tenner, they'll spend out on a 25 chip?

This post has been edited by jaycee2: 13th Aug 2010, 5:01 pm
+Quote Post
Mystyfyed
post 21st Sep 2010, 3:37 pm
Post #13

Member No.: 49675

It does need careful thought although the Puppy farmers will have to do their bitches and all pups before sold, not just a microchip as we think of it more of a passport for life. Hopefully they will come up with an idea to Police it during the consulation period.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 14th Mar 2011, 6:56 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I've voted no, but not because I am against it - far from it, I am all in favour of chipping itself.

I am, however, against mandatory chipping for two reasons: firstly, some dogs are sensitive to it and can react very badly (I know one whose treatment cost over 6000 following a severe reaction to the chip and the vet's refusal to acknowledge the connection and remove the chip straight away).

Second because it is a very simplified thing to say 'everyone must chip'. Some people find the idea of it absolutely horrifying it, and it makes no acnkowledgement of other ID methods.

My own dogs are all chipped and tattooed, bar Raine and Tia - Raine is chipped only because at the moment I feel a tattoo would be too stressful; Tia is 13 and has incredibly sensitive ears so I'll not put her through it. But conversely if I felt being chipped was not a good idea for an individual dog for whatever reason, I'd rather be able to make that choice.

Mandatory chipping is just too black and white for me I'm afraid. Great sentiment behind it, and permanent ID is something I think is necessary these days, but it's not the only way to achieve it.
+Quote Post
erose
post 29th Mar 2011, 4:24 pm
Post #15

Member No.: 48353

I voted yes, but I agree puppy farmers and others won't take any notice of the law and yes some people will do terrible things to dogs if there were compulsory chipping, so they can't be identified. But something does need to be done to regulate the dog breeding business to stop so many dogs being pts every year because of over breeding. The council run schemes for over seeing puppy farms in some areas are a joke.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 3:10 pm