IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Dog And Cats
Elainew
post 8th Dec 2015, 7:41 am
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 202

I think you are doing a really good job at the introductions. There may be certain dogs who cannot live around cats whatever you do but many cat unaccustomed dogs, including racing greyhounds, are taught to live with cats every year. It's just as well not everyone has a negative approach otherwise there would be many more dogs in rescue not adopted. The important thing is that the cat(s) can be kept safe during the training period,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 8th Dec 2015, 9:44 am
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

Thats what I meant to say in a much more consise and balanced way biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
catg274
post 8th Dec 2015, 6:09 pm
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 11781

Thanks guys, feeling positive wink.gif We will get there & one day I may even be able to post a photo of him snuggled up next to one of the cats wondering what all the fuss was about lol.gif
+Quote Post
catg274
post 19th Aug 2017, 10:18 pm
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 11781

Well, it has been a long time since I posted this! It has been hard work, we split the house & garden in 2 so the dogs had half & the cats had half. We are getting there though, 19 months down the line & we are able to do this

I wouldn't trust him 100% though & think he is ok with Mia as she actually thinks she's a dog rolleyes.gif but I am proud of Alfie & am so glad we didn't just give up on him wub.gif
+Quote Post
kimw
post 20th Aug 2017, 11:32 am
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 42138

That is lovely smile.gif wub.gif

Cats that think they're dogs are wonderful... Bob was a dog-cat, daft as the come but a wonderfully friendly boy smile.gif
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 20th Aug 2017, 3:56 pm
Post #21

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

So pleased that Alfie is now accepting the cats close up wub.gif

My three dog-cats (the welcoming committee) all went to the bridge between December 2015 and June last year, aged 17/nearly 17. They were co calm around dogs and even converted some neighbourhood dogs over the years. In January I adopted an old cat from the local sanctuary and he's ready for action should the dogs get over-exited, and actually bullied my elderly staffie for a while, although she's cat friendly. They get on fine now though but, if I go out, it's him I don't trust with the dogs, and make sure they're not left together wub.gif

Chris

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th September 2017 - 6:20 am