Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Coat With Harness Opening?
Craters_on_the_lawn
post 15th Nov 2017, 12:43 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 55685

Poor little Finn the Staffie gets the shivers when the weather is cold or wet.

I had bought him a "tankie" from Equafleece last year but he really is not keen on putting his legs in it (he's an older boy - we think at least 9 years old).

So now I'm looking to get another coat but he also wears a harness when out walking - so I'm looking for a coat that has a harness opening, so that the harness can go UNDERNEATH the coat.

I quite like the look of the "Ancol 2 in 1 Harness Coat" which has an opening so you can still attach the lead to a harness.

Anyone tried any Dog coats with Harness openings? Anyone got any recommendations or any things I need to consider? Finn's harness is a Dog-games one, and so the clip for attaching the lead is quite far back - I'm just wondering if there are any problems with the coat hole not lining up with the harness clip - or any other considerations?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
natbest
post 15th Nov 2017, 5:39 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 49122

Just do what I do and put the coat over the dog wearing the harness, find where the d ring is and make a slit in the coat then stitch it with nylon thread for strength in a button hole type way. Mine have the danish design 2 in 1 coat which has a separate liner so I just cut through both then stitched both separately. The nylon thread is invisible plus very strong plus hole ends up exactly where you need it.
+Quote Post
hazzy1066
post 15th Nov 2017, 6:07 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 21200

I have Pets at home coats that have a zip opening for the ring of the harness and have had no problems.
+Quote Post
Robyn
post 16th Nov 2017, 7:01 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 7780

Hi
Our dog wears a harness and his coat is Hurtta Summit Parka Dog Jacket not cheap but it is

Waterproof
3M reflectors
Adjustable back length, belt and collar
Recloseable opening for harness on the back
Protects the chest and key muscle groups
Recloseable attachment loops for back legs
Machine washable

This post has been edited by Robyn: 16th Nov 2017, 7:02 pm
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 16th Nov 2017, 9:18 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

Winston wears his harness under am ezydog element coat
+Quote Post
Nutmeg
post 16th Nov 2017, 9:20 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 4767

QUOTE(natbest @ 15th Nov 2017, 5:39 pm) *

Just do what I do and put the coat over the dog wearing the harness, find where the d ring is and make a slit in the coat then stitch it with nylon thread for strength in a button hole type way. Mine have the danish design 2 in 1 coat which has a separate liner so I just cut through both then stitched both separately. The nylon thread is invisible plus very strong plus hole ends up exactly where you need it.

This is what I did. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 26th Nov 2017, 3:15 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

QUOTE(Craters_on_the_lawn @ 15th Nov 2017, 12:43 pm) *

Anyone tried any Dog coats with Harness openings? Anyone got any recommendations or any things I need to consider? Finn's harness is a Dog-games one, and so the clip for attaching the lead is quite far back - I'm just wondering if there are any problems with the coat hole not lining up with the harness clip - or any other considerations?

This is why I put the harness over the coat, I haven't had a coat that lines up with the D ring on the harness. Bonnie will be 13 later this week and I have bought her a Shires coat as it is very warm and waterproof and put the harness over her coat. I do have to loosen the harness quite a lot before putting it on.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 26th Nov 2017, 3:21 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

QUOTE(Craters_on_the_lawn @ 15th Nov 2017, 12:43 pm) *

This is why I put the harness over the coat, I haven't had a coat that lines up with the D ring on the harness. Bonnie will be 13 later this week and I have bought her a Shires coat as it is very warm and waterproof and put the harness over her coat. I do have to loosen the harness quite a lot before putting it on.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Hannah W
post 28th Nov 2017, 8:54 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 743

harness over the coat on Miss Ellie. we still need to be able to use the harness to clip on the various lights so the little beauty doesn't get lost in the undergrowth that she likes to frequent!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 5:43 am