Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Would Welcome Help, Dog deemed pit bull type now exempted needing re home
xKTPx
post 18th Apr 2017, 8:32 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 55698

I'm hoping for some advice on behalf of a friend from another forum (not dog forum)

She has ended up temporarily housing a dog which needs a new home
I have seen his photo and he doesn't look pit bull type to me and is good natured, but can be bouncy. He is living happily with her Staffie and is house trained
He does have a tattoo. He has been accepted as good natured but has to be muzzled and on a lead when out of the house. My friend mentioned something about can't just change ownership
However she can no longer keep him, but can't bear the thought of having him put to sleep
She lives in the London area

Are there any rescues would take him?

She is researching 'Deed Not Breed'
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 19th Apr 2017, 8:47 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

DDA watch will give her chapter and verse on rehoming if she phones them and may be able to help finding a rescue. I recall there is something about being able to place an exempted dog with a “registered keeper” if the registered owner can’t keep the dog which gets around the “no gifting, selling or otherwise disposing” issue.
+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 19th Apr 2017, 8:57 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Thank you so much Woofgang
Didn't sleep last night. it's painful when you care, isn't it?
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 19th Apr 2017, 6:42 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

You can get a new registered keeper but it must be done properly. As above get the right advice e.g. DDA watch, doglaw etc
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 19th Apr 2017, 9:15 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

I help out at BSL Victim Support UK https://www.facebook.com/groups/857801750986539 we help owners whose dogs have been seized get them back. I don't think exempt dogs have to be tattooed now, they do have to be chipped and neutered, also wear a harness when outside including in your car. If you go onto their group page you will find 2 telephone numbers you can call and ask advice or better still, get the lady who has the dog phoned.

When on the exempt list dogs cannot have a change of keeper automatically, it has to go through the courts again and having a solicitor is better. We have found Parry Welsh Lacy LLP are the best for getting dogs through the courts, they have managed to get dogs that have a destruct order back home.

--------------------
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 19th Apr 2017, 10:05 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

QUOTE(Annieskel @ 19th Apr 2017, 10:15 pm) *

I don't think exempt dogs have to be tattooed now, they do have to be chipped and neutered, also wear a harness when outside including in your car.

There is no requirement to be harnessed but they must be onlead when in a public place which includes in vehicles.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 20th Apr 2017, 6:40 am
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(kilmousk @ 19th Apr 2017, 11:05 pm) *

There is no requirement to be harnessed but they must be onlead when in a public place which includes in vehicles.

Ooops, sorry that should be muzzle not harness. flowers.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 20th Apr 2017, 9:00 am
Post #8

Group Icon

Thank you ladies

The lady in question is having health problems and hospital visits ect but she is very grateful for the advice.

I wonder how these dogs get labelled like this. She doesn't know why. All she knows is that he is a perfect 'gent' who has given no cause for alarm and is gentle and loving. He doesn't even look 'bull' like
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 20th Apr 2017, 11:11 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

It's all very subjective, unfortunately - it only takes one person in the right position to not know their breeds/types well enough and a dog gets labelled. And if that dogs happens to fit the artbitrary measurements as well, then it's classed as type and the fun begins.
+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 20th Apr 2017, 12:49 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

sad.gif What happened to innocent until guilty?

Our Son has a 3 year old ( posted on here about how I'd cope minding him and our bouncy young rescue dog...all was well in the end) and he now has a 9 month old staff. My BIL keeps saying no one should let staffs near kids. There is no problem
I tell him they're known as 'The Nanny Dog'. He won't listen though, just tuts.
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 20th Apr 2017, 1:57 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Dogs have been assess as 'Type' because the police's assessment wasn't challenged, we have put owners on the right track to have this assessment changed and the dogs are no longer on the exempt list. Most owners don't have the money to see their family member through the courts, solicitor fees and assessment fees which is why we raise money to help them get their dogs home. When possible we advice owners to get Kendal Shepherd to assess their dogs, this is backed up by the Solicitor we recommend. She is more accurate in her measurements than the police because she uses callipers, the police use a tape measure. There are others who can do a good assessment.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 20th Apr 2017, 1:59 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

QUOTE(xKTPx @ 20th Apr 2017, 10:00 am) *

Thank you ladies

The lady in question is having health problems and hospital visits ect but she is very grateful for the advice.

I wonder how these dogs get labelled like this. She doesn't know why. All she knows is that he is a perfect 'gent' who has given no cause for alarm and is gentle and loving. He doesn't even look 'bull' like

Can you put a photo up of him please, I can then show it to several people who understand these 'type' dogs better than I do. They are the people who have kept Olive alive so long and hopefully she will go to a good home.

--------------------
+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 20th Apr 2017, 6:56 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

I'll ask her
+Quote Post
xKTPx
post 21st Apr 2017, 8:02 am
Post #14

Group Icon

Am posting in Luxury Lounge
+Quote Post
xxjcxx
post 22nd Apr 2017, 7:36 am
Post #15

Group: Member
Member No.: 61212

hi I'm the one xktpx is trying to help. Thank you for trying to help. I can put a photo up is it here in the chatter post. The rehoming bit is causing real problems with my son who doesn't want it. To be truthful if I could get him re judged that would be brilliant I need more than anything else to be legal. I've had dogs all my adult life and at home as a child so I'm not a novice. My mum got saddled with a dog when my uncle died who was a real nightmare so I know what it means to have a dog that you need to keep away from other dogs. I was the only one at first that he was submissive to because I wasn't frightened of him.

This dog is not aggressive to other dogs or people indoors or out. I would not have taken him in if there was doubts about his temperament, I would not leave my staffie with him if I had doubts but they are very good together, he doesn't bark or growl when he sees other dogs he just wags his tail. I have always kept him on a lead even before I knew there was a problem, he's got no road sense and although he listened to my son he like most other people ignored me! He has some bull breed in him but which one is up for debate, he was attacked last August and my son had to take him to the RSPCA hospital who kept him for three days for shock, his shoulder had been badly bitten by a much larger dog that looked to be a mastiff/pit cross. They recorded him as a staff. He's bigger than my staff but he doesn't have a staff/bull jaws and looks like nothing in particular just a regular mongrel. He's had a rough start and I'm trying give him a chance he's too good a boy to be destroyed.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017 - 11:55 am