Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Harnesses, Recommendations for reactive young GSD please
essexgirl
post 7th Apr 2017, 9:33 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 3777

Hi guys, since another dog had a go at him last week, young Bertie (19 months old GSD) has become quite reactive. I need a good harness to help me to control him when he wants to kangaroo up and down and bark and to help me when he pulls. I'm working hard on the training but this would hopefully save my poor back while I do so.

He hates a harness so I want a nice padded comfortable one that will help me too. Do you have any recommendations please?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheBeardedOne
post 7th Apr 2017, 10:25 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 51715

We used a ruffwear webmaster harness for one of ours, she was a large, very strong dog and it made her much easier to control.
+Quote Post
essexgirl
post 7th Apr 2017, 10:34 am
Post #3

oo, I like their stuff, I used to use their boots for Bruce, will have a look.

A lot of people round here use the Julius k9, has anyone any experience of those?
+Quote Post
essexgirl
post 7th Apr 2017, 10:50 am
Post #4

Here's the culprit... wub.gif wub.gif
+Quote Post
mokee
post 7th Apr 2017, 11:20 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

I've actually just bought one of these each for my lot as they're a fraction of the price of most other fleece-lined harnesses I've seen, but they're very strong and secure.

https://www.trixie.de/heimtierbedarf/en/sho...&listpage=2

I got two from ebay, but the last one was from amazon and at under 9 each for the medium size they were a real bargain.

Just be warned, number 8 might look like a rich purple, I certainly thought so, but I now have a male collie running around sporting a dark pink harness! lol.gif

This post has been edited by mokee: 7th Apr 2017, 11:21 am
+Quote Post
essexgirl
post 7th Apr 2017, 12:18 pm
Post #6

hehe thanks mokee, I am a very pink person and would put Bertie in pink (I don't think he'd care) but my daughter bans me from doing so!!!
+Quote Post
ceri1
post 7th Apr 2017, 2:22 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 46944

A harness with a front as well as back connection will help control him smile.gif I know some people love the julius K9 harnesses, but they worry me as they restrict the shoulder movement a lot more than other styles.
+Quote Post
asher241
post 7th Apr 2017, 3:15 pm
Post #8

Member No.: 58149

https://www.cosydogs.com/harnesses-shop/dog-harnesses.html# and they put a front ring on for you if you request on order form so you can use a double ended lead.
+Quote Post
essexgirl
post 7th Apr 2017, 4:12 pm
Post #9

Good point, ceri1 I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the link asher241. Bertie has a version of that from Pets At Home but the adjustable strap keeps lengthening itself and when it gets to loose, the harness slides round and annoys him. We need something that stands up to an active loon without the fitting slipping. Do you think this one would do the job?

thanks again guys for helping

oh, ideally I'd like one with a handle. He is fine getting on and off of buses and trains but since having poor old wobbly Bruce, I fret so I like to have something to hold on to!
+Quote Post
mokee
post 7th Apr 2017, 5:02 pm
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(essexgirl @ 7th Apr 2017, 5:12 pm) *

oh, ideally I'd like one with a handle. He is fine getting on and off of buses and trains but since having poor old wobbly Bruce, I fret so I like to have something to hold on to!

In that case, I'd probably go with a Ruffwear too, they use them at the hydrotherapy centre I used to take my oldies to. They were several years old when I started going but were still just as strong and reliable as when they bought them - ok, the colours had faded a bit, but then they had been in and out of the pool several times a day, every day, for the last several years. Extremely good quality and very well made harnesses.
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 7th Apr 2017, 7:39 pm
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

I would only recommend a Ruffwear Webmaster
+Quote Post
Rhumba
post 8th Apr 2017, 6:18 am
Post #12

Member No.: 42754

Hi, I bought a Truelove No Pull Dog Harness from Amazon for my very strong border collie. It is perfect, fits snugly, and is padded on all the areas that matter. I have got a fleece one but it kept slipping round if I attached the lead to the front ring and I wasn't sure how strong it was. The Truelove one has been brilliant and doesn't slip round when I use the front ring to manage her pulling. Off the lead she's perfect incidentally just a maniac on the lead! Hope this helps. x
+Quote Post
pangolin
post 8th Apr 2017, 12:55 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

Member No.: 45080

I have the Mekuti harnesses for my reactive GSD and my reactive GSD x Rottie. They're not padded, but the way the lead feeds through the front means you have extra control when they are reacting, and it doesn't move about so much on the chest as some of the other front-attaching harnesses (rather than clip to a ring on the front, you feed the lead through the front ring and clip to the opposide shoulder)

I also have the Ruffwear Webmasters which are great as anti-escape harnesses (my boy always used to back out of his harnesses, not when reacting but just when he decided he fancied some freedom! So always had to use a double-ended lead attached to his collar too) but I don't find them so great for control when they're reacting. They're fantastic for attaching to a longline, and the handles are very useful for close control (e.g they're off-lead but a cycling is passing so I grab the handle momentarily) but the clip is quite far on their backs so you don't get that front-end control. I tried attaching a ring to the front but the front piece moved around far too much for it to be effective. They do the Front Range now though which has a front attachment, I've not tried it myself but it looks a nice padded harness.

Another option could be the Doggames harnesses with the front attachments, they're fleece padded so should be comfortable. I made my own version of their classic style, but did find it moved about a bit with the front-attachment. Might have been my sewing, but a few people online said they found the same thing with the Doggames ones. The Perfect Fit is meant to be a better fit.

I've opted to use headcollars for mine at times too as it gives that extra control, not that I need it so much if they're on their own, but the times I have to walk them together then their reactivity is definitely worse and my hands are also full. I use the Mekuti harnesses and the Dogmatic headcollars so I can keep pressure off the face/neck by holding the leads at the harness ends, but I can shift to the headcollar if I need that control (I mostly manage the situation by keeping at a distance I know mine can manage - but there's those blind corners or off-lead dogs that bomb in). I introduced the headcollars (as well as muzzles) to mine slowly, so I knew I could use them if needed without them hating the feel of them.
+Quote Post
pangolin
post 8th Apr 2017, 12:57 pm
Post #14

Group Icon

Member No.: 45080

Also, on a related note, have you seen the CARE protocol for reactive dogs? It's made a big difference in mine, my girl is miles better (and boy is WIP but I'm a bit limited in when I can work on his reactivity now I've found myself single - girly gets slight seperation anxiety if I walk him on his own - but he's making progress with the times we can follow the protocol at least)
http://www.careforreactivedogs.com

This post has been edited by pangolin: 8th Apr 2017, 12:58 pm
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 10th Apr 2017, 1:20 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

QUOTE(mokee @ 7th Apr 2017, 12:20 pm) *

I've actually just bought one of these each for my lot as they're a fraction of the price of most other fleece-lined harnesses I've seen, but they're very strong and secure.

https://www.trixie.de/heimtierbedarf/en/sho...&listpage=2

I got two from ebay, but the last one was from amazon and at under 9 each for the medium size they were a real bargain.

Just be warned, number 8 might look like a rich purple, I certainly thought so, but I now have a male collie running around sporting a dark pink harness! lol.gif

Always used the Trixie harnesses, easy to put on, strong and wash very well smile.gif For Ollie we now have the Julias K9, has a handle on the top,very handy in case you need to move him and he doesnt want to go.

A harness I find, only gives you better control, if you use it with double ended lead, either on the collar, of halti

We have Ollie on his harness and Dogmatic, and he is soo much easier to handle, and it helps with training loose lead walking a lot!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2017 - 3:07 pm