IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Rare Breeds Be Moved To Breed Rescue?, Interesting subject brought up in another thread
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 7th Apr 2017, 9:45 am
Post #16

Group: Member
Member No.: 5985

Not very good with quotes. sad.gif Couldnt fit my comment on the bottom. sad.gif

Reputable breeder will only produce a litter if they have enough people wanting a puppy. So the puppy is booked sometimes before conceptipn or birth.

Rare breeds are listed by the Kennel Club eg Lancashire Heelers and some imported.

Unusual breeds are those not seen very often in general rescues like Lhasa Apso and it is usually these breeds that have their own breed rescue. Yes there are others in fact I think there is a breed rescue for every known breed. Yes I think they should go to breed rescue as people want a certain breed because they usually have had one previously.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 7th Apr 2017, 1:11 pm
Post #17

Member No.: 15191

Yes, there is a KC Directory of Breed Rescues that is updated each year. I don't know how many general rescues have a copy. I still think how the 'working together' bit actually works should be very much up to the parties involved, rather than a 'hand it over to breed rescue' default approach.

In some cases, I've really welcomed new owners to the breed because they just seemed so cut out for that breed and had done lots of research...or they had no idea that the bred existed but the description they gave of the dog they envisaged adopting and the sort of home they were offering just fit. I've also turned down people who had experience of the breed before but had clearly struggled and put it down to 'the breed' (but they still wanted another!) when a bit more questioning revealed they employed really confrontational and harsh training techniques because 'those sort of dogs need it'.

lol.gif I've got a heeler!
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 7th Apr 2017, 1:23 pm
Post #18

Just to add - that's not the breed whose rescue I helped with.

lol.gif I was going to type something else, but I think it needs a new thread!
+Quote Post
moorx
post 7th Apr 2017, 6:02 pm
Post #19

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 4341

QUOTE(Penninepoodlewelfare @ 7th Apr 2017, 10:45 am) *

Unusual breeds are those not seen very often in general rescues like Lhasa Apso and it is usually these breeds that have their own breed rescue. Yes there are others in fact I think there is a breed rescue for every known breed. Yes I think they should go to breed rescue as people want a certain breed because they usually have had one previously.

I don't think people who've had the breed previously should necessarily get preference over anyone else, nor do I think that's a valid reason for purebreed dogs to automatically go into breed rescue.

My parents came up against this attitude when they tried to adopt from GR rescue - they were turned down flat because they hadn't had a retriever before, and because their other dog was 'a mongrel' rolleyes.gif

Certain people are quick to complain about blanket rules/policies, but that's exactly what's being suggested here unsure.gif
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 7th Apr 2017, 7:37 pm
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

QUOTE(moorx @ 7th Apr 2017, 6:02 pm) *

I don't think people who've had the breed previously should necessarily get preference over anyone else, nor do I think that's a valid reason for purebreed dogs to automatically go into breed rescue.

My parents came up against this attitude when they tried to adopt from GR rescue - they were turned down flat because they hadn't had a retriever before, and because their other dog was 'a mongrel' rolleyes.gif

Certain people are quick to complain about blanket rules/policies, but that's exactly what's being suggested here unsure.gif

also while I wouldn’t deny there are breed characteristics, individuals are not alike...just because one dog of a breed is a certain way, it absolutely doesn’t follow that another dog of the same breed will be the same.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
kayb
post 8th Apr 2017, 7:19 am
Post #21

Member No.: 60384

The last time we were looking for another dog (about 5 years ago) we decided to try to find my husband's "dream dog" - all his life he's wanted an Irish Setter. IS Rescue wouldn't entertain us because we've never had on before, despite 35 years of dog owning, all rescues except my first dog. I know owning dogs doesn't necessarily equal knowing anything, but I could have produced very good references from a couple of other rescues.

That's not to say I blame the rescue - they put in the love, worry and money to help a dog so it is entirely up to them who they home to, but we were disappointed. That said, it meant we had room Jess the Saluki x, a breed I had sworn I never wanted (just not my type) and of course now we totally adore her.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 8th Apr 2017, 11:48 am
Post #22

Group Icon

QUOTE(kayb @ 8th Apr 2017, 7:19 am) *

The last time we were looking for another dog (about 5 years ago) we decided to try to find my husband's "dream dog" - all his life he's wanted an Irish Setter. IS Rescue wouldn't entertain us because we've never had on before, despite 35 years of dog owning, all rescues except my first dog. I know owning dogs doesn't necessarily equal knowing anything, but I could have produced very good references from a couple of other rescues.

That's not to say I blame the rescue - they put in the love, worry and money to help a dog so it is entirely up to them who they home to, but we were disappointed. That said, it meant we had room Jess the Saluki x, a breed I had sworn I never wanted (just not my type) and of course now we totally adore her.

well but if rescues want people to rescue instead of buying, that is a terrific way to go about it.
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 8th Apr 2017, 12:28 pm
Post #23

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

How on earth do they expect people to have had experience of a breed if they don't allow them to? They're basically guaranteeing that people have to go to a breeder if they ever want to own a rescue dog from them in the future.

Now I know that in some cases, dogs do need specific experience - I would never recommend that someone who hasn't owned a dog begin by rescuing a malinois, for example - but that's not to say that other breeds can't give you a good grounding. If someone's had border collies, then they'd be in a much better position to stand a chance with a mali as the breeds are rather similar. With setters, experience in more independent breeds would be a good foundation to take one on. There has to be flexibility otherwise everyone would have to start out with a puppy of their chosen breed and stick with that breed for life!

I hope that in the future, I don't encounter the same issue when I venture into the world of anatolians - I've never owned one but done plenty of research, and I've owned a number of difficult dogs so I hope that stands me in good stead to take one on.
+Quote Post
Kanie
post 8th Apr 2017, 1:19 pm
Post #24

smile.gif Sometimes, the more 'quirky' breeds might be better suited to someone who hasn't had a dog before because they have no expectations of 'normal' dog behaviour!

A friend of mine had never owned a cat before and her first cat was a rescue Bengal. She was chosen especially because she had no prior expectations of what normal cat behaviour is, but she's a strong character and she just suited the cat and the cat suited her!

+Quote Post
woofgang
post 8th Apr 2017, 2:40 pm
Post #25

Group Icon

Our first ever dog was a weimaraner. We bought him from an excellent breeder who gave us the third degree before agreeing to put us on the waiting list for her next litter. We honestly never realised they were supposed to be so much more headstrong and difficult than other breeds. lol.gif My current two are GSP x wei and yes I have to say that I can see the difference that the GSP in them makes. but like you say.....you go into it with no expectations!
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 8th Apr 2017, 2:47 pm
Post #26

Group Icon

Member No.: 44743

Not all breed rescues are like that, I once went to do a rescue for a Springer rescue, this was a ground floor flat and the lady was disabled. When I walked in the flat was very untidy, taking this lady I found out that she has someone coming in Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, as this was Sunday and the lady couldn't pick u anything that had fallen on the floor, this was the reason it was untidy. She also had 4 birds in 2 cages, these birds were immaculate, fit and healthy. Her kitchen was clean and untidy as well, the mug she made my coffee in was spotless. She had fenced off an area at the back of the flat for her previous dog which had recently died, it was secure. She exercised her dog with a mobility scooter or took him in the car were he could run free and intended to do this with her new dog.

Most people would be horrified at her adopting a Springer, the rescue phoned me after I sent the report in, a dog had just come in, it was an old dog and sedate, hadn't had much exercise in his previous home and ask more questions about her. She got this dog and the dog had a wonderful home with someone who put her dog first, the dog's health improved and he lost a lot of weight. Most rescues would have refused this lady a dog and said she wasn't fit to have one.

--------------------
+Quote Post
kayb
post 8th Apr 2017, 5:45 pm
Post #27

QUOTE(woofgang @ 8th Apr 2017, 11:48 am) *

well but if rescues want people to rescue instead of buying, that is a terrific way to go about it.

I agree but as I said above, I do feel that all rescues have the right to make any rules they like even if I don't like them, because they have the emotional and financial input and (presumably) want the very best for their rescues. I wish they would have discussed more though - we've had quite a few breeds over the years and I'd have been happy to be grilled on my knowledge in husbandry and training. At least if that still wasn't good enough I'd have felt I had a chance!

It is disappointing as they aren't a breed that come up much in general rescue and I can't imagine me ever buying from a breeder so that was that. sad.gif
+Quote Post
kayb
post 8th Apr 2017, 5:46 pm
Post #28

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 8th Apr 2017, 12:28 pm) *

How on earth do they expect people to have had experience of a breed if they don't allow them to? They're basically guaranteeing that people have to go to a breeder if they ever want to own a rescue dog from them in the future.

Now I know that in some cases, dogs do need specific experience - I would never recommend that someone who hasn't owned a dog begin by rescuing a malinois, for example - but that's not to say that other breeds can't give you a good grounding. If someone's had border collies, then they'd be in a much better position to stand a chance with a mali as the breeds are rather similar. With setters, experience in more independent breeds would be a good foundation to take one on. There has to be flexibility otherwise everyone would have to start out with a puppy of their chosen breed and stick with that breed for life!

I hope that in the future, I don't encounter the same issue when I venture into the world of anatolians - I've never owned one but done plenty of research, and I've owned a number of difficult dogs so I hope that stands me in good stead to take one on.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you nikirushka, you can certainly prove the knowledge and commitment!

+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 8th Apr 2017, 7:02 pm
Post #29

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

Thanks kayb smile.gif
+Quote Post
EmCHammer
post 9th Apr 2017, 8:35 am
Post #30

Group Icon

Member No.: 22501

As a rescue volunteer for a rescue who used to deal mostly with poundies have come across alot of breed rescues some fab and others not so ok.

The best ones are happy to help out with a range of dogs or be happy the dog has a safe place at a reputable rescue and offer advise or point suitable families in our direction.

Other breed rescues we weren't happy with their rehoming criteria ie leaving neutering up to new owners or placing unassessed dogs straight from pound into foster homes

Others would only want certain dogs and not help with crosses (in breeds that were not that common in rescue so hardly swamped) or want to know if the dog had papers or not help dogs with medical conditions etc

We used to get some real grief on facebook now that prob wasn't the rescue themselves but the supporters ie no one else knew how to look after that breed the dog would suffer with us etc and it was very off putting. Even on one breed closed group online people were posting that would pretend to be rescuers to get the dog away from us.. they didn't realise we had rescue friends in the group too.. crazy.

The most helpful rescues we dealt with tended to be those for the most common breeds in the pound it was the more unusual breeds that had more probs with. That's not to say all and we probably dealt with the other breeds more commonly so had more contact with them
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017 - 6:49 pm