Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small Rescue/fosterer Needed, Looking for help with nervous and larger dogs
twitchynoses
post 18th Jun 2016, 7:05 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 57746

We run a small charity in Bulgaria. We try and concentrate on neutering and improving the welfare of dogs chained or owned by local villagers, but we do of course come across dogs on the street in a bad way that need homes. We work with one rescue in the north of England that can help us re-home smaller dogs, and they provide life time back up and home checks and do the re-homing side.

However, due to their set up they cannot take larger dogs or nervous dogs. We would love to have another small rescue to work with who could take just a couple of larger or more nervous dogs for us from time to time and provide the rescue back up, help with re-homing etc.

This could be a private fosterer or a small kennels or rescue. Home environment would be preferred.

Twitchynoses
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
roxysmum
post 18th Jun 2016, 5:18 pm
Post #2

Forums moderator
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2351

I'm sorry but you are just asking for trouble asking a small home based rescue or private fosterer to take nervous /large dogs, how can these people offer rescue back up if something goes wrong and the dog needs to be moved quickly.
You need to be talking to the larger rescues, and I mean large, the likes of Dogs Trust, etc. They are the ones with facilities such as on site behaviourists
I feel sorry for the plight of the dogs, but taking a large, nervous, street wise dog who has never known any other life and putting it straight into a home environment is an accident waiting to happen.

--------------------
Hereford and Worcester Animal Rescue
www.hwanimalrescue.org
+Quote Post
Annieskel
post 18th Jun 2016, 5:35 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 44743

I agree with Roxysmum, I have a dog from Romania, the people who brought him across couldn't handle him and asked the rescue to take him back, he was lucky, he was with a rescue who could take him back and he came to me as a foster dog. He was so traumatised that I can't move him on, he was a street dog before being caught by the dog catchers.

I am used to taking mentally damaged and aggressive dogs but he was a challenge, thankfully I had enough knowledge to turn him round but most people won't be able to. Dogs like him can suffer more by putting them with people without the experience to help these dogs nor are they mentally able to cope with the journey across Europe, either the ferry or through the tunnel then another long journey to were they are going.

I know from the rescue I got him from that they have a lot of problem finding homes for the bigger dogs, some have been in the rescue for several years, nobody seems to want the big dogs from other countries, they want the smaller dogs that are easier to control.

I do know there is a rescue that concentrates on neutering all the dogs they can then release them in the area were they were picked up, this is the best way to bring the dog problem under control and stop the cruelty and abuse that people are doing to these dogs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 18th Jun 2016, 5:59 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 202

The EU Dog and Cat Alliance, of which the Dogs Trust is a member, has agreed that moving rescue animals from country to country is not the approach to take and that emphasis should be on helping the animal in its country of origin, this makes far more sense.

How can a private individual provide lifelong backup to a foreign dog? There are so many foreign dogs already dumped by their rescues!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 5:28 am