IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Rescue Arriving - Any Tips?, It's been 12 years since we last did this! Where should he sle
Fox
post 6th Mar 2018, 7:10 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 21305

We have a 4 year old terrier boy coming from Spain next week. We have a collie girl (spayed) who's 12. I've been reading up and I just wondered if anyone had any advice or tips? I'm not sure what to do about sleeping arrangements as our collie sleeps in between us! I thought I'd set up a crate with the door open and a blanket over the top in the kitchen and a dog bed so he has options - I'd sleep with our room door open too so he can come in and out.

I've 2 weeks off work to settle him and get him used to being left a couple of hours so any advice on that would be appreciated too!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kimw
post 7th Mar 2018, 10:38 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 42138

As a cat peep rolleyes.gif , no tips, but every much looking forward to updates on how well your Spanish boy is settling down smile.gif
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 8th Mar 2018, 9:36 am
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

I would give him a few days to settle in with you around, then start leaving him for gradually increasing amounts of time. Make sure he's settled before you go - so a quick bit of search stuff or training (not playing as that tends to wind them up), or a quick walk.

I would also keep them separate when you're not there, for a while, just in case as he will be stressed from the journey and new surroundings etc. A couple of weeks at least while you and your other dog get to know him.

Otherwise it sounds like you've got it well planned, so enjoy!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 1:02 am