> Unusual Breeds In Rescue, Rare breed dogs looking for new homes
mokee
post 25th Jan 2018, 1:57 pm
Post #91

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(nikirushka @ 25th Jan 2018, 9:27 am) *

You shouldn't undersell yourself, you do more for your dogs than almost anyone else I know smile.gif

You've brought a tear to my eye with that, what a lovely thing to say, thank you.

But unfortunately the one thing I really can't offer him is a rural location without loud traffic and lorries (and, of course, a quiet, calm dog to live with!) lol.gif lol.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 25th Jan 2018, 2:34 pm
Post #92

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(Penninepoodlewelfare @ 25th Jan 2018, 10:30 am) *

I have said this before; why cant these unusual breeds go to a breed rescue where experts and breeders can rehome their unusual breed. Many breed rescues have a waiting list for adopters who maybe dont want to start with a puppy. How will these people know where these dog are if they are scattered all over the county.

A lot of breed rescues are full, just like the general rescues, and many are small as well - they may simply not have the facilities to take in as many dogs as they would like.

Also, I've often seen people working with general rescues recounting bad experiences with breed rescues - poor rehoming policies, no homechecks, no neutering etc. And in particular I've seen the same story over and over - breed rescues contacting general rescues and basically telling them that they don't know what they're doing with whichever breed it is, that they shouldn't be rehoming that dog and the dog should go to the breed rescue. Which of course, destroys any hope of a good relationship between the two rescues!
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 25th Jan 2018, 2:34 pm
Post #93

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(mokee @ 25th Jan 2018, 1:57 pm) *

You've brought a tear to my eye with that, what a lovely thing to say, thank you.

But unfortunately the one thing I really can't offer him is a rural location without loud traffic and lorries (and, of course, a quiet, calm dog to live with!) lol.gif lol.gif

Well that's true lol.gif
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 25th Jan 2018, 6:00 pm
Post #94

Group Icon

Member No.: 202

QUOTE(Penninepoodlewelfare @ 25th Jan 2018, 10:30 am) *

I have said this before; why cant these unusual breeds go to a breed rescue where experts and breeders can rehome their unusual breed. Many breed rescues have a waiting list for adopters who maybe dont want to start with a puppy. How will these people know where these dog are if they are scattered all over the county.

Most breeders will know who bred the dog and can black ball them.

I should also say that not all breed rescues will take in every dog in their breed.

A lot of breed rescues are incredibly selective, I admire the general rescues who take in dogs from a variety of sources, pound, hand ins etc, take time to really get to know the individual dog, rehome accordingly with a very low fail rate. A lot of the breed rescues do Home to Home rehoming s, believing what the owner has told them about the dog, and just take the money. A breed rescue I fostered for was reluctant for a dog in my care to have painkillers because of the cost, whereas the general rescues I have fostered for have not stinted on vet visits etc.
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 26th Jan 2018, 10:57 am
Post #95

Group: Member
Member No.: 5985

Oh yes, I am not saying all breed rescues perfect, some far from it, but wherever possible and with a well known breed rescue I think this would be preferable. At least NCAR are asking for someone who knows this breed.
+Quote Post
zico's mum
post 7th Feb 2018, 4:09 pm
Post #96

Group Icon

Member No.: 10023

Heathlands have a 1 year old Pekingese in - rarely see them nowadays let alone in rescue

https://www.facebook.com/162793817103330/ph...e=3&theater
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th February 2018 - 11:12 pm