IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dog Eating Poo
Animad
post 6th Sep 2017, 6:08 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 4581

Hello. I recently rehome a 9 month old Chihuahua after his owner decided that two children under 5 and a tiny puppy and going out to work, was too much for her.

After getting home with the pup, I realised there might be a problem when apart from toys, food and leads etc, I came across a box of stool repel. He is now just over 10 months old and , if I am not right there at the time he goes toilet or have my back turned for a few seconds, he starts to eat his poo! I know it is something that some dogs and pups do but how can I stop him and get him out of the habit? The Stool Repel doesnt work
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 7th Sep 2017, 7:13 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

The first thing to look at is his diet. A change in food will sort out most poo eaters (might take a couple of tries so don't give up if the first try doesn't work).

Also make sure he's been wormed recently as worms can cause it; as can digestive upset (through lack of nutrient absorption).

Deficiencies are on the list too but a better diet usually sorts this out.

If all those fail, then it's a habit, and you're looking at stringent management - always being there when he goes to distract him as soon as he's gone and pick it up immediately (you need to be doing this anyway, even if it does turn out to be diet, to stop it becoming habit). With luck, if it is just a burgeoning habit, doing this may just break it as he is still young - a lot of dogs go through a phase of it within the first year so there's hope for a solution! You do have to be on it 100% though as if it becomes a full habit, it's incredibly hard to stop. At that stage, you're looking at permanent management so you'll stand a much better chance of success if you can sort it now.
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 11th Sep 2017, 12:58 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 6759

Agree with the above

Food: sometimes certain foods can pass straight through, and the dog simply needs to eat to get all the nutrients. Mine will do with when I have given them Pedigree. Ribbish food!

When I got my last girl, she is 3 now, she was terrible for it, she would eat everybody's not just her own! Have gotten them all on new food, and with a lot of management it has finally stopped, Still keep my eye on her, and am very quick in picking up, but she is not making a beeline for any of the dogs if she happen to do a poo.

SO try the management and get the dog on a good quality food, hopefully that way she will grow out of it!

+Quote Post
Ragsysmum
post 23rd Sep 2017, 3:04 pm
Post #4

Group: Member
Member No.: 13308

Could be he has previously been punished for toileting in the house so has learnt to eat the evidence to avoid trouble.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2017 - 4:45 pm