2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Owners Of 3 Or More Dogs!
Pixiedog
post Yesterday, 7:07 am
Post #16

Group: Member
Member No.: 41941

I've currently got thirteen, I have lost five over the past year.......all shapes and sizes! I do have a wonderful friend who they stay with if we go abroad and also when we go on holiday in this country she looks after the over spill. Although there are properties that will take that many dogs, to be frank it wouldn't be much of a break for us to take all of them !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mokee
post Yesterday, 1:17 pm
Post #17

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(Craters_on_the_lawn @ 24th Apr 2017, 8:00 pm) *

I love having 3 (would love to adopt more but....). My current 3 all get along very well and are pretty easy (they are all boys so you don't necessarily need a "female in charge" as per other replies!!).

I think I should clarify that I'm not saying that every group of dogs needs to have a female in charge - just that I never realised how much work my own bitch did to keep the others in line until I didn't have her any more. Not every group of boys is going to be as troublesome as my three are - two of them are very reactive and the third is a horrible bully and they're all a little bit 'special' if you catch my drift.

But my point wasn't that everybody with boys is going to have the same problem, so I'm sorry that this is how I came across. My point was meant to be that when adopting my boys I didn't pay enough attention to their age, sex, breed and personalities - or even how well they got along together, and that this has resulted in some fairly difficult problems to overcome that I wouldn't have had to deal with if I'd been more sensible when I was adopting.

I try to make light of their issues when I post in chatter but for us adopting the wrong mix of dogs means that we now spend every day managing their interactions. This isn't a particularly pleasant way to live your life, for us or the dogs, even if it has become second nature by now. I don't want the OP to fall into the same trap, which is why I'd recommend taking their time choosing a new addition and making absolutely sure that any new dog they are considering to join the family is the best fit for the humans and the dogs before they take them home. I wish I'd done that.

Hopefully that will be a bit clearer this time. lol.gif
+Quote Post
EmCHammer
post Yesterday, 2:28 pm
Post #18

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 22501

I think I should clarify that I'm not saying that every group of dogs needs to have a female in charge - just that I never realised how much work my own bitch did to keep the others in line until I didn't have her any more. Not every group of boys is going to be as troublesome as my three are - two of them are very reactive and the third is a horrible bully and they're all a little bit 'special' if you catch my drift.

But my point wasn't that everybody with boys is going to have the same problem, so I'm sorry that this is how I came across. My point was meant to be that when adopting my boys I didn't pay enough attention to their age, sex, breed and personalities - or even how well they got along together, and that this has resulted in some fairly difficult problems to overcome that I wouldn't have had to deal with if I'd been more sensible when I was adopting.

I try to make light of their issues when I post in chatter but for us adopting the wrong mix of dogs means that we now spend every day managing their interactions. This isn't a particularly pleasant way to live your life, for us or the dogs, even if it has become second nature by now. I don't want the OP to fall into the same trap, which is why I'd recommend taking their time choosing a new addition and making absolutely sure that any new dog they are considering to join the family is the best fit for the humans and the dogs before they take them home. I wish I'd done that.

I understood you. Mine don't sound as hard work as yours but would thoroughly agree, mix of three dogs I had was harder work in many ways.
Even things like when wanted to do a little round the block walk couldn't do it, three did walk OK together on the lead but was much harder work. If one kicked off the others started and they could form a little pack at times.
+Quote Post
Craters_on_the_lawn
post Yesterday, 5:44 pm
Post #19

Group: Member
Member No.: 55685

QUOTE(mokee @ 25th Apr 2017, 2:17 pm) *

Its okay I did understand what you meant too - but I was aware that for the casual reader it may not be clear - so just wanted to provide a counter-example smile.gif
(although I must admit - if I didn't live in the middle of no-where and had to do walks arround towns/cats/people/other dogs - I would definately find my 3 much more difficult!!)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2017 - 9:58 am