IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alternative To Grass?, What is missing in his diet?
Barneyblue2
post 31st Dec 2017, 7:43 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 61172

George is about four years old (rescue unsure having been told incorrect age when he was surrendered) and a Golden Retriever. I have had him for three months now and he has settled in really well and quite easily, but he will eat as much grass as he can get his paws on.
He is on a Natures Menu diet with a Natures Menu or Burns hypo allergenic mixer and added fruit and vegetables, but he will head for the nearest patch of grass and munch on it for quite some time when we are out on walks. His diet seems to suit him and it's what he was on before he arrived with me, but there must be something that I can give him instead of his need for grass regularly. It worries me that, living as I do in a rural area, may mean that there are pesticides etc. around and I don't want him ingesting those. It can also be awkward when he suddenly starts to wander around the house in the middle of the night, needing to find grass to eat.
I have had other dogs who have occasionally eaten grass to ease tummy ache or add some roughage I guess, but George does seem to need more and regularly and a lot at a time. It also seems to need to be quite long and of a specific type which I couldn't possibly tell from any other, but he is quite discerning about it.
Could this be a symptom of something amiss?
Any thoughts/experiences/suggestions please.
Thank you.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 31st Dec 2017, 10:10 am
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

I would think that it is more likely to point to digestive upset than missing nutrients, as dogs can't really digest grass so wouldn't get anything from it in that way.

But, a dog that is suffering from reflux will often need to munch a lot of grass, or if he's eaten something that disagrees with him, that sort of thing. One of mine will always need to do it when she's had filled hooves or bones, and this was considerably more frequent when her main diet was kibble (they are raw fed now).

One of my others needs to do it if he's had too much fish - one meal is fine, two sets him off. He (and the others) prefer longer grass for this. My collie has the same problem if she gets turkey for two meals straight.

Yours may also simply like the taste of a particular grass. This is very common although it tends to happen more in spring/summer when the grass is growing.
+Quote Post
Dalsmum
post 31st Dec 2017, 11:22 am
Post #3

Member No.: 10491

Many years ago I found seaweed biscuits stopped mine eating grass.

However, another one cropped grass like a goat. He used to pinch the long grass I weeded out of the garden. He was never sick because of it and didn't suffer any consequences.

You could try something like Dorwest Herbs Keepers mix.

+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 31st Dec 2017, 12:17 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

My dogs and cats all love a grass munch and are rarely sick afterwards.

Chris
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Penninepoodlewelfare
post 31st Dec 2017, 2:44 pm
Post #5

Member No.: 5985

It could be a sign of worms. Has he been wormed since you have had him?
+Quote Post
Barneyblue2
post 31st Dec 2017, 9:03 pm
Post #6

Member No.: 61172

QUOTE(Penninepoodlewelfare @ 31st Dec 2017, 2:44 pm) *

It could be a sign of worms. Has he been wormed since you have had him?

Yes, twice as he also likes to eat cat poo and I have a cat myself with others visiting the garden to use it to toilet. I always worm and flea treat the dogs and cat at the same time.
+Quote Post
Auntie Ange
post 31st Dec 2017, 11:37 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 22692

My dogs love to nibble grass and are never sick on it.

Only once did it seem different and that was when one had pancreatitis. His whole demeanour was different and he was desperate to eat any grass as opposed to being choosey and selecting which grass he wanted.

Ange2
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 1st Jan 2018, 3:15 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

QUOTE(Auntie Ange @ 31st Dec 2017, 11:37 pm) *

Only once did it seem different and that was when one had pancreatitis. His whole demeanour was different and he was desperate to eat any grass as opposed to being choosey and selecting which grass he wanted.

I've heard that before too. It's the way it sounds like he is very driven to do it that's making me think medical - regular grazing is different. As you say, the demeanour changes.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th February 2018 - 11:16 pm