IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Training advice

Dogpages encourages owners to learn the skills to train their dogs with modern non-coercive methods and not to train with pain. Posts and advice given must reflect this policy.

For serious problems, owners should always seek good professional advice.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Becoming A Dog Trainer?, Legit qualifications
Bingoed
post 26th Aug 2016, 5:57 pm
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 60824

Hi

I'm really keen to qualify as a dog trainer (bit by bit in my spare time) over the next couple of years but I'm currently living in Saudi and I can't find a dog trainer to ask what quals they would recommend.

I'm happy to go back to the UK to do the training as it seems many are modular or have intensive/residential courses.

so my question is, how do I work out what the good and recognised qualifications are rather than the random companies that have set themselves up as an association / institute etc. All seem to claim they are accredited and affiliated to the best but in my experience, in my current job as an ESOL teacher, there are many dodgy companies taking your money and the quals are worth nothing to employers.

I'd be grateful for any advice. I've tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything.

Many thanks, Kerry

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 26th Aug 2016, 7:57 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

Whatever courses you do, look for stuff that is up to date and you want a practical element to it wherever possible. Theory is great and essential, but you need hands-on experience as well.

Generally speaking, you can judge a fair amount by the prospectus: anything that endorses rank reduction programs/dominance/being the pack leader or the use of positive punishment in training should be avoided. Discussion of those subjects is fine and should be encouraged - as trainers we need to understand all aspects of behaviour and training in order to do the best job, and that includes understanding why the out of date stuff doesn't work. It also helps because many people will already have tried punishment or rank reduction, so if we know what those are about, we can get a better insight into the training history of the dog and potential problem areas moving forward.

Try and find a course with practical work too, because all the theory in the world cannot make up for that!

In terms of qualifying as a trainer: there are no officially recognised qualifications as such, nothing that says 'this person is officially a dog trainer'. Literally anyone can set up as a trainer with no qualifications and no experience. You can look at the various organisations and see if they want anything specific, if you want to join them; there are a few worth looking at such as the APBC, APDT and IMDT. There's another one that I forget the name for! PPG, something like that. Whatever course you look at, I would look for one accredited by a university (if not studied in one), and avoid anything with nonsensical initials at the end (useful guide HERE).

The one course I can personally recommend is the Canine Behaviour & Training foundation degree/BSc at Bishop Burton College - I've done the foundation and it is a well respected course, accredited by Hull Uni. Up to date and positive. The foundation is three years, the top-up to BSc is a further two and all can be done distance learning (although you do need to be able to get there several times a year for practical classes and assessments).

This post has been edited by nikirushka: 26th Aug 2016, 8:00 pm
+Quote Post
Bingoed
post 4th Sep 2016, 4:37 pm
Post #3

Member No.: 60824

V helpful thanks
+Quote Post
TazmanianDevil
post 19th Nov 2016, 4:18 pm
Post #4

Member No.: 60791

I'm wondering if there are online dog training videos with subtitles?

It will be very much appreciated, thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2017 - 5:38 pm