IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tips For Leaving My Dog For The First Time, Does anyone have any advice?
chicken123
post 3rd Nov 2017, 11:52 am
Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 61231

Hello,

I've come online to get a bit of advice.

I will need to leave my dog at home for a few hours a week (due to working circumstances).

It'll only be for a few hours, one day a week and my friend will be checking on them, too.

But, does anyone have any tips?

I've been researching and I've found this video and now I'm starting to feel very unprepared ohmy.gif.

Many thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 3rd Nov 2017, 12:16 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 2147

How old is your dog? Is he/she used to being left at all?
I am sure lots of people will have good advice, and the more info you give the better.
I am not much help as my three have always been left for a few hours regularly, so haven't had any problems. I do leave the radio on and make sure they have had a good walk first smile.gif
+Quote Post
libertybella
post 3rd Nov 2017, 1:22 pm
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 49326

Up in till two weeks ago I had 2 dogs always crated when I went out and radio on then had to have my lurcher Pippa pts now only have my labrador she goes in her crate and radio on and she is fine .I laughed at video it had to be a labrador but they left stuff about didn't put anything up
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 3rd Nov 2017, 1:46 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

That video really shows how not to do it! I have two Labradors and a cocker, who have the freedom of the kitchen/conservatory while I am out. I don't leave any food out for obvious reasons! I don't crate mine, I like them to have freedom to move round.
+Quote Post
Elainew
post 3rd Nov 2017, 2:49 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Member No.: 202

Same here. Crates have their uses - toilet training, travel etc but my dogs have the kitchen (including a sofa) when I am out.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Carolynleah
post 3rd Nov 2017, 3:36 pm
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(Elainew @ 3rd Nov 2017, 2:49 pm) *

Same here. Crates have their uses - toilet training, travel etc but my dogs have the kitchen (including a sofa) when I am out.

Mine have a sofa, an armchair, a big pouffe and a dog bed to choose from lol.gif
+Quote Post
bix
post 3rd Nov 2017, 4:03 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 6209

I'd get started now by popping out for short periods on and off during the day so the dog gets used to you being out occasionally. Most dogs will just go to sleep if nothing much is going on, whether you are there or not. You just need to try to make sure that the dog isn't stressed before you go out. Please don't worry because they can pick up on your anxiety.
+Quote Post
Athel
post 3rd Nov 2017, 6:11 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 46906

With my new pup we started on day one by leaving her at the other side of our flat with a kong or similar on her own for just a few minutes. Then once she was happy with being alone for half an hour we started going out of the house for a few minutes. Our working hours mean the dogs are alone for up to 4 hours on term time weekdays. As the pup was so young when I went back to work we have had a dog sitter so that initially she didn't have to do more than an hour alone. Now she's 17 weeks and she's doing 2 hours some days and has done 4 hours this week as the dog sitter was sick. We've filmed her and she is totally happy when we are out.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 12:59 pm