Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This Has Me Completely Flumoxed, Would be grateful for any help
nikirushka
post 7th Mar 2017, 5:57 pm
Post #16

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 25819

We have a similar rule here. And it is just as likely to actually come into effect lol.gif

Sprocky doesn't look like he's trying to intimidate or bully Sjindi there - he's just totally thinking about that pig's ear and nothing else! So that sort of focus/intensity from a dog that can't actually see, only focus on the source of a scent, would be very unnerving I should think. We know that the good old 'collie eye' upsets a lot of dogs even when the collie doing it can see!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ianr
post 8th Mar 2017, 1:57 pm
Post #17

Group: Member
Member No.: 27192

To me I see a dog who is worried that his mate is about to try & pinch his treat from under his nose.

The fact that he's blind or partly sighted isn't necessarily going to be registered with the other dogs - just the threat to steal his treat, toy or whatever he may be staring toward at the time. He probably isn't going to realise he's staring either so the rule that once worked may not necessarily do so under the new circumstances. My thought would be that you just have to step in and distract him onto something else whenever this happens & the problem will them disappear.
+Quote Post
mokee
post 8th Mar 2017, 6:39 pm
Post #18

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(Ianr @ 8th Mar 2017, 1:57 pm) *

To me I see a dog who is worried that his mate is about to try & pinch his treat from under his nose.

The fact that he's blind or partly sighted isn't necessarily going to be registered with the other dogs - just the threat to steal his treat, toy or whatever he may be staring toward at the time. He probably isn't going to realise he's staring either so the rule that once worked may not necessarily do so under the new circumstances. My thought would be that you just have to step in and distract him onto something else whenever this happens & the problem will them disappear.

Thanks, Ian, I think we're in total agreement here. I've generally been sending Sprocket to settle in his bed when one of the others growl at him and that seems to break the stare and stop the problem 99% of the time, so definitely an effective coping maneuver. I was concerned that there might be something else going on that I was completely oblivious to, but it looks like we're all thinking the same thing after looking at that photo smile.gif
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 8th Mar 2017, 7:31 pm
Post #19

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

I don't see anything else going on at all, just a dog who can't judge personal space because he can't see it, and others being made uncomfortable by that. You're doing right I think smile.gif
+Quote Post
Louwra
post 9th Mar 2017, 7:31 am
Post #20

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

I've generally been sending Sprocket to settle in his bed when one of the others growl at him and that seems to break the stare and stop the problem 99% of the time, so definitely an effective coping maneuver.

This. If you cannot find anything else, vet's report is fine, i would just interrupt and redirect. Either sending Sprocket in his bed, or call the other two away in a 'Look at me' sort of way and praise. Think I would try and build a 'oh he is staring at me' onto a good thing, by getting them to come to you for a treat/cuddle, whatever floats their boat.

Very worrying, isnt it, when the dynamics of a pack change, and there is no obvious reason Poor lad, he could be getting confused as well by the changes in his own body, and that doesnt help when the others are growling at him winks.gif bless wub.gif

Lets hope its a 'blip' and they soon settle together again!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2017 - 10:02 pm