Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Negligence By Vet
bix
post 25th Oct 2017, 5:39 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 6209

Does anyone know of a solicitor who could advise a friend of mine regarding negligence on the part of a vet? Or does anyone have any advice or experience please? Personally, I think he's wasting his time but he's struggling emotionally and I would like to help him if possible.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
moorx
post 25th Oct 2017, 5:42 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Member No.: 4341

Trevor Cooper's firm deal with claims against vets according to their website:

http://www.doglaw.co.uk/

I must admit, I toyed with the idea of complaining over the way that Lily was treated at the end of her life, so I can understand that feeling. In the end I decided not to take it further and still wonder whether I should have. But it wouldn't have brought her back, which was all I wanted at that point.

Perhaps direct him to the Blue Cross bereavement service instead? Again, something I considered using and probably should have, but I couldn't face trying to verbalise what had happened. I haven't even told friends and family everything we went through because I find it too difficult to talk about.

Sorry - going off on a tangent....

This post has been edited by moorx: 25th Oct 2017, 5:47 pm
+Quote Post
lolbeck
post 25th Oct 2017, 6:34 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Member No.: 37943

I would suggest your friend has a look at the RCVS website - https://animalowners.rcvs.org.uk/home/ - as there is some clear advice and explanation there.

But I do think moorx is right - talking things through with bereavement service may help as anything 'legal' will reduce his much loved friend to 'property' which will only compound his pain.

And have a hug.gif moorx. x x x
+Quote Post
AnnS
post 25th Oct 2017, 8:28 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 1457

We had a problem, were given incorrect meds by the receptionist. Basically drugs which could have helped her weren't given. She was put to sleep. I had a heated discussion with the vet involved and was advised to write to one of the owners of the practice, this I did and received an apology. I wish I had taken it further, but at the time was too upset. Needless to say now use another vet and the member of staff involved is I believe still there. I think this happens more often than it should but people are sort of intimidated by what is involved in complaining to a professional body.

Really sorry for your friend but I am sure he did the best he could for his pet and was let down by those he trusted.

+Quote Post
bix
post 26th Oct 2017, 1:17 am
Post #5

Group Icon

Thank you all for the kind replies. I'm so sorry that you had such dreadful experiences, Anns and Moorx. I hope this hasn't raked it all up again for you.

The dog in this case didn't die, but has been left with life-long health problems as a result of surgery that went wrong. I've passed on the details of the solicitors because he's determined to go down that route. I hope that by talking it over with them he will be able to resolve this one way or another.

I don't know the full details and of course only have one side of the story anyway. If there was negligence, I think it would be difficult and probably expensive to prove and I expect they would fight him very vigorously. I haven't said this to my friend, but although I sympathise with the situation, if it were me, I'd spend the money on expert care for the dog and not use my emotional energy on a court case.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone winning such a case though.
+Quote Post
doggroomer
post 26th Oct 2017, 7:36 am
Post #6

Group Icon

Member No.: 10854

Can't help but hug.gif hug.gif for Moorx and AnnS for their experiences, and to your friend Bix.

Chris
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 26th Oct 2017, 8:08 am
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

I know of someone who got a considerable refund of fees from a vet when her dog was not treated properly, lengthening treatment time and distressing the animal. it was not a quick or an easy process both because of the work involved and the emotional stress. I believe she achieved it through the RCVS complaints procedure.
+Quote Post
mokee
post 26th Oct 2017, 12:34 pm
Post #8

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

I was just going to suggest that the RCVS complaints procedure might be a better bet for him.

Oddly enough, I went to a seminar on Sunday with Trevor Cooper and he covered how to sue a vet during his talk. Essentially, he said that very few people ever do it because every vet is insured to the hilt, uses solicitors and will throw everything they have into protecting their reputation in the court. You, on the other hand, have to finance any court case yourself - and as a dog is viewed as property and most dogs have an actual value (as opposed to an emotional value) of under £10,000 the case would go through the small claims court. Any 'redress' to the person who brought the case would be monetary only, and probably won't be enough to cover the cost of bringing the case to court and paying solicitors fees - especially as in this case the dog didn't die so even the purchase price is not up for refund. If a person chose to take a case like this to court themselves to save on the cost of a solicitor, it is highly unlikely that they would stand a chance of winning against the law team that the vets practice would put up against them.

Essentially, according to Trevor, he'd be on a hiding to nothing if he tries to take them to court. It will cost him a lot of money and he's not going to get what he wants out of it anyway, which I assume is for the vet to admit that they got it wrong and apologise.

+Quote Post
Louwra
post 27th Oct 2017, 6:37 am
Post #9

Group Icon

Member No.: 6759

I had cause to complain about treatment the vet gave one of my animals that resulted in her death. ( And his appaling lack of empathy!)

It was a relative new vet to the practice, and I tried to avoid him as much as I could. Except on this occassion err.gif

Anyways, I wrote a long and detailed letter to the main vet, I always got on well with him. Of course, as expected he took the side of his partner. I thanked him for his letter, and told him because of this I am taking my animals elsewhere

Sometimes that is all you can do, and for your own peace of mind the best route!

Hope your friend gets some closure, you really dont need that trauma added on top of it all!
+Quote Post
bix
post 27th Oct 2017, 8:43 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Your comments confirm what I suspected. Frankly, if it were me, I would write a complaint and then change vet. They have the collective power and money of business so of course they are going to fight. Also, there doesn't seem to be any way to prove negligence. Occasionally things just go wrong. The owner is determined. Someone from the solicitors you mentioned is going to phone him next week. I hope that they will be able to explain the situation to him. Then, as you say, he can move on.
+Quote Post
NW68
post 30th Oct 2017, 12:43 pm
Post #11

Group: Member
Member No.: 54100

QUOTE(AnnS @ 25th Oct 2017, 8:28 pm) *

We had a problem, were given incorrect meds by the receptionist. Basically drugs which could have helped her weren't given. She was put to sleep. I had a heated discussion with the vet involved and was advised to write to one of the owners of the practice, this I did and received an apology. I wish I had taken it further, but at the time was too upset. Needless to say now use another vet and the member of staff involved is I believe still there. I think this happens more often than it should but people are sort of intimidated by what is involved in complaining to a professional body.

Really sorry for your friend but I am sure he did the best he could for his pet and was let down by those he trusted.

A receptionist dispensed a drug?
+Quote Post
AnnS
post 30th Oct 2017, 4:45 pm
Post #12

Group Icon

Member No.: 1457

Yes, went through the back gave me both meds, correctly labelled but incorrect meds in one of the "envelopes". She came back midway to check the name. They weren't made up, this was confirmed by the vet. This was for Maddie, think we pm'd each other at the time about this. It may not have made a difference to her but that's really not the point. Believe they now have a vet nurse there full time.

Hope you're well.
+Quote Post
NW68
post 2nd Nov 2017, 6:07 pm
Post #13

Group: Member
Member No.: 54100

QUOTE(AnnS @ 30th Oct 2017, 4:45 pm) *

Yes, went through the back gave me both meds, correctly labelled but incorrect meds in one of the "envelopes". She came back midway to check the name. They weren't made up, this was confirmed by the vet. This was for Maddie, think we pm'd each other at the time about this. It may not have made a difference to her but that's really not the point. Believe they now have a vet nurse there full time.

Hope you're well.

That’s dreadful I do remember now.

We’re good thank you. Hope all well with you too smile.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 12:58 pm