Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Advocate Application
bix
post 4th Oct 2017, 1:03 pm
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member
Member No.: 6209

I've just found a flea on Bertie schnauzer so I have got some Advocate and attempted to apply it. He's always suspicious of anything like that and we have had a bit of a struggle to do it. There's now a wet patch on his fur about the size of the palm of my hand. Not exactly the correct method of applying it. Any thoughts or experience of such bungling please? Do you think it will be effective? Be glad of any advice please.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
kilmousk
post 4th Oct 2017, 3:25 pm
Post #2

Group Icon

Group: Sponsor Member R
Member No.: 43952

Will be fine smile.gif

In future you can smear peanut butter or similar onto a flat surface (fridge/oven door) etc or bottom of a cup or yoghurt pot etc and that can often distract for popping on a spot on etc. I am sure he wouldnt mind practicing in advance winks.gif
+Quote Post
bix
post 4th Oct 2017, 3:38 pm
Post #3

Group Icon

Thanks for your really helpful reply. Why didn't I think of doing something like that to distract him? I was so keen to get it on him I just didn't think. Absolutely hate fleas, just thinking about it makes my skin crawl. I stopped routine treating dogs as we haven't had any of them for years. I'm going to be more vigilant in future.
+Quote Post
Athel
post 4th Oct 2017, 7:19 pm
Post #4

Group Icon

Member No.: 46906

If you haven't already thrown it keep the tube so you can refill with water to do some spot on training.
+Quote Post
bix
post 4th Oct 2017, 8:05 pm
Post #5

Group Icon

Oh heavens. Another good idea that I hadn't thought of. Thank you so much for the suggestion.
+Quote Post
melbury
post 9th Oct 2017, 8:04 pm
Post #6

Group: Member
Member No.: 7874

I have caved in and ordered some Frontline for Billy this evening, despite not wanting to resort to chemical cures.

I had bought some expensive"natural" flea and tick remedy, but it doesn't seem to working, plus the fact he absolutely hates having it put on each day and goes crazy rushing around and trying to rub it off - must be the smell.

Anyway he is scratching so much, plus I caught a flea on him today, so it is back to Frontline which we always used on our previous dogs.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 15th Oct 2017, 7:58 pm
Post #7

Group Icon

Member No.: 51601

I understand that frontline no longer works on some parts of the country sad.gif if you find it doesn't work on his fleas then try a scalibor collar.....oh and you will treat all over the house and your car won't you?
+Quote Post
melbury
post 18th Oct 2017, 7:14 pm
Post #8

QUOTE(woofgang @ 15th Oct 2017, 8:58 pm) *

I understand that frontline no longer works on some parts of the country sad.gif if you find it doesn't work on his fleas then try a scalibor collar.....oh and you will treat all over the house and your car won't you?

Thankfully, he now seems clear of them.

Not really keen on the chemical collars - I am going to start him on Billy No Mates as well, just to be doubly sure.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 18th Oct 2017, 8:44 pm
Post #9

Group Icon

QUOTE(melbury @ 18th Oct 2017, 8:14 pm) *

Thankfully, he now seems clear of them.

Not really keen on the chemical collars - I am going to start him on Billy No Mates as well, just to be doubly sure.

I went from frontline to a chemical collar because frontline brought my dog out in water blisters! can't use the spot ons here either because I have got two dogs who groom each other
+Quote Post
mokee
post 19th Oct 2017, 12:55 am
Post #10

Group Icon

Member No.: 36406

QUOTE(woofgang @ 15th Oct 2017, 8:58 pm) *

oh and you will treat all over the house and your car won't you?

I've never done that. Never. Never treated the house, never treated the car, never treated anything else but the dog. Had fleas probably four or five times over the last 25 years or so of dog owning - every single time we just treated the dogs with whatever spot on was recommended by the vet (usually frontline) and every single time that was enough to clear the house of fleas, completely.

I can't be the only one, surely?
+Quote Post
nikirushka
post 19th Oct 2017, 8:32 am
Post #11

Group Icon

Member No.: 25819

You're not, I never have until this past year or so.

Now I've got the grumpy shih tzu to groom, who has fleas more often than not, I've started to in a bid to prevent him infesting my dogs. He's already done it once this year because I forgot to spray; last time he came in a couple of weeks ago I did it as soon as I saw one as I'm still trying to clear them from his previous visit.

So this time the carpets and the car have been done. I've never had to before, though, and I don't recall ever doing it back home even when we had a cat with a severe flea bite allergy.

It's worth nothing that the Advocate/Advantage/Advantix treatments do spread into the environment to a degree so do the job themselves. As I use Advantage when mine get fleas, that's why I've not bothered before.
+Quote Post
melbury
post 19th Oct 2017, 8:34 am
Post #12

QUOTE(mokee @ 19th Oct 2017, 1:55 am) *

I've never done that. Never. Never treated the house, never treated the car, never treated anything else but the dog. Had fleas probably four or five times over the last 25 years or so of dog owning - every single time we just treated the dogs with whatever spot on was recommended by the vet (usually frontline) and every single time that was enough to clear the house of fleas, completely.

I can't be the only one, surely?

No you are not the only one, I have never treated the house etc and not had any ongoing problem with fleas.

A couple of decades ago when the vet first prescribed Frontline because our dog had fleas, he said that once the spot on is applied, the dog acts like a walking flea killing machine because they jump onto dog and are killed, so problem solved. smile.gif

I don't really fancy putting chemicals on the carpets and furnishings because I have a 2 year old grandson who visits quite frequently and is always playing on the floor.
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 19th Oct 2017, 1:13 pm
Post #13

Group Icon

My pets have never brought fleas into the house lol.gif Once it was my husband from an infested taxi. He knew the driver as he travelled often for business and the driver called him with profuse apologies which is how we knew. Twice it was me because of my job. In the case of my husband we didn't know about the fleas until around 36h after he carried them in and in my case twice, I had to go through the house to the bathroom and had driven myself home!! In the job I was in, if advocate had worked on people, I would have treated myself with it. The second time, there was a colleague with me. We had to take the patient back to the hospital and were immediately sent home of course...my colleagues husband made her strip off in the garden and used the hose on her! happily a summers day and a secluded garden.

We are in a Lyme disease hotspot though which is why i use chemical collars on the dogs.
+Quote Post
melbury
post 19th Oct 2017, 3:31 pm
Post #14

QUOTE(woofgang @ 19th Oct 2017, 2:13 pm) *

My pets have never brought fleas into the house lol.gif Once it was my husband from an infested taxi. He knew the driver as he travelled often for business and the driver called him with profuse apologies which is how we knew. Twice it was me because of my job. In the case of my husband we didn't know about the fleas until around 36h after he carried them in and in my case twice, I had to go through the house to the bathroom and had driven myself home!! In the job I was in, if advocate had worked on people, I would have treated myself with it. The second time, there was a colleague with me. We had to take the patient back to the hospital and were immediately sent home of course...my colleagues husband made her strip off in the garden and used the hose on her! happily a summers day and a secluded garden.

We are in a Lyme disease hotspot though which is why i use chemical collars on the dogs.

Do the collars stop fleas/ticks jumping aboard or do they kill them once they have bitten the dog, as with spot ons?
+Quote Post
woofgang
post 19th Oct 2017, 4:18 pm
Post #15

Group Icon

QUOTE(melbury @ 19th Oct 2017, 4:31 pm) *

Do the collars stop fleas/ticks jumping aboard or do they kill them once they have bitten the dog, as with spot ons?

cannot honestly comment about fleas. When I was using frontline spray for ticks, I would still take oh...2 to five ticks split between two dogs after every summer walk. Some would be attached and dead, some would be attached and alive some would not be attached. I thought this was good because untreated, the total per walk would go up to as many as 10 or 12 between the two dogs and we would find them around the house as well.

The next bit sounds a bit "pull the other one" but I promise you its true. Since using Scalibor collars, once the initial activation time is passed (I think its 3 days) I have never found a single tick on either dog. Not. One. None in the house, none in the car. I still find the odd one on my clothing after a walk.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th November 2017 - 12:58 pm